“overbooking and never got a refund $500 lost”

Taman Bebek Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sayan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“overbooking and never got a refund $500 lost”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

this is very unfortunate as I was there a couple of years ago and LOVED it. in fact, my last review of taman babek is posted on their main page website. my husband and i stayed there for our honeymoon and decided to go back again this year. i received an email from them saying that taman babek was overbooked and that my room which was already debited out of my credit card was no longer available. they did offer to find me a place at ANOTHER resort - which defeated the purpose of our going to bali to stay at taman to celebrate our anniversary. so i asked if i can get a refund and they said yes. well, after a number of emails to them i NEVER received my money back. so i am officially out $500. so BE CAREFUL that if you pay and they say the room is confirmed, it still doesnt guarantee you a room and you will certainly never see that money again...this is very unfortunate as we loved staying there but obviously their billing/payment system is very unprofessional, if not fraudulent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Washingtonienne73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bridport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just spent a few nights in the beautiful boutique hotel of Taman Bebek - a small, intimate resort with lovely staff and superb views from my villa across the river valley to the forest and mountains beyond. It was the quiet season so I was the only one enjoying the small infinity pool just outside my room, the Royal Villa. Fabulous and I will return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights after having stayed in central ubud for a few nights. I loved how this area is off the main trafficky area of central ubud. If you choose to leave the hotel to explore the town it's about a $5 taxi ride one way into town. The view at this hotel is gorgeous. Staying at this hotel was my favorite part of our 2 wk Indonesia trip. I much preferred the sayan area to central ubud. Our room was very spacious with a nice outdoor deck great for having breakfast, an inside den and outdoor shower. Plus there's a fridge in the room always stocked with beer. Staff was very helpful and Edwin was awesome!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank dbelikoff
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed 2 nights and we were almost the only guests. Had a very private stay, the villas are quite far apart and we had a semi-private pool for ourselves. From the Royal villa we had a very nice view on the rice fields. We bargained a very good price but this is not a cheap place.

Room is fairly sized and shower is nice, but not great. There is a terrasse to enjoy the view. The bed is confortable as it should be for this kind of place. Exterior bathroom and shower. Breakfast was good and the staff helpful. The pool is nice and in a nice setting. There was internet in the room.

Cons : Nothing to really complain about here. To be honest we spent most of our time in the city so we did not really used the facilities extensively.

I would say we could hear the motorbikes and trucks from the road in the morning, nothing aggressive but there was a bit of noise nonetheless.

Also, a villa was being built while we were there, which was a but annoying in the morning. I know this is temporary, but when you pay some money to have some peace, it is always bad to hear construction noise.

I guess this place is great if you want to spend the day there and relax. However If you don’t mind about the view and plan to be in the city most of the day, you could stay at the Tjampuhan hotel for a lot less than this place. Location is much better, you would not need a car to go to the city, and you’d have all the same facilities for much cheaper.

Overall, I give this a 4 stars rating. This is a solid hotel but it is not « paradise ». I would recommend it to people who plan to stay there all day. You need transportation to go to the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bart_58
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

this was one of the most unique and lovely places we've stayed. my husband and I stayed there during our 2 week trip to Bali for our honeymoon. we stayed in a few other places (all were very different - one was sofitel in seminyak - nice in its own way and conrad hotel - which is massive and over the top; not really for us).

our room was amazingly decorated and very artsy. we had a charming balcony which was relaxing to go out and read - with a lovely view of our small pool. we walked around the resort and hung out a lot overlooking the breathtaking rice terraces. i also took advantage of their "spa" - which is not really a spa per se as it is very very small only for one person (as I recall) but it was a nice experience nevertheless.

the staff were very friendly and helpful and while we had to take a cab everytime we wanted to go out to the main tourist area - we appreciated being off the beaten path as the main area can get a bit too touristy (at least for us).

if you like the big, chain-type, over the top resort places you probably wont like this place at it may seem too quiet...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

Taman Bebek has to be the most tasteful boutique hotel villas on the Sayan strip near Ubud. From the reception villa which like the rest of the complex is drawn from one of the many regional Indonesian achitectural designs to the Bali aga units with their magical views towards the west and the famous Sayan terraces.Taman Bebek is a garden lovers paradise with lush plantings that provide comfort and peace .The Bali Aga units are like living in a treehouse in the canopy.The ideal place to watch the white herons fly up the river in the evenings to their roosting places.For those ( like me) that want to regenerate the batteries and reclaim some fitness there is a fantastic over 25 M pool that is ideal for doing training laps. If you are more romantic there is the Crossaint pool that overlooks the valley as an infinity.A night time dip will melt any partners heart.Taman Bebek is only 10-15 min from Ubud on an easily obtained scooter through quiet interesting villages. Do yourself a favour and experience this world class complex designed by Made' Wijaya of around the world in 80 gardens fame.

Room Tip: There are the villas that are suited to couples or families and the Bali aga that are ideal for coup...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Staying at Taman Bebek was without a doubt a delightful experience and lived up to all our expectations. Although my husband has been to Bali many times, this was my first visit and I was given the task of finding our place to stay near Ubud. And what a find! The design and layout of this resort does not come out of an homogenised 'box', thank goodness. It has been carefully considered and has a patina and gravitas that speaks of a great love of Balinese culture and way of life. As we wandered through the gardens we saw many beautiful sculptures and objects, some of which were obviously very old and along with the landscaping created treats for the eye at every turn.
We stayed in the Made Villa and felt as if we'd come home. It's on 2 levels with spectacular views of the Ayung river far below and across to the terraced rice fields and coconut groves beyond. The villa was delightfully comfortable and had a small pool very close by for the odd late night dip. The lap pool is near the lobby for more serious swimming and a TV room is close to that area as well. In a way watching TV is actively discouraged which suited us perfectly. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them.
The only downside for us was that we didn't allow ourselves enough time here and so therefore we will have to come back for more. Made Wijaya has a well deserved reputation throughout Asia for his landscape architecture and design and at Taman Bebek he has created a unique environment which is at times both stimulating and wonderfully relaxing. Heartfelt thanks to everyone there for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julian r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sayan
Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
#39 of 195 in Ubud
The Lokha Ubud
The Lokha Ubud
#55 of 195 in Ubud

Been to Taman Bebek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!