“elderlywhisperer”

The Lord Nelson Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Marshfield
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A 17TH CENTURY COACHING INN, REPUTEDLY ADMIRAL NELSON STAYED HERE ON HIS WAY FROM BRISTOL TO LONDON. The Lord Nelson at Marshfield is a delightful country pub and restaurant frequented by locals and visitors from far and wide. We also offer cosy accommodation, with all of the creature comforts expected by the modern traveller.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Some weeks ago my elderly wife and I were driving to Bristol on the A420 when we were badly held up by road works at Ford so when we finally got through both nature and hunger called so instead of continuing on the Marshfield bypass we went into the village at into the first pub we saw which was The Lord Nelson. Although it was well after 1 o'clock we were warmly welcomed by the landlord and some other friendly people who were probably Locals. Two fires were burning brightly and as we were late we only had some coffee and really excellent Minestrone Soup with crusty bread. As we liked the Nelson so much in every way we took a look at the whole Menu and a very nice looking Specials Board deciding we would definitely return for a full meal.

We have now just been back but for a Sunday Carvery for only £8:95.Luckily we had booked as we were later told this was a very necessary as they regularly serve over 100 with their Carvery. We had a choice of Beef, Pork or Ham and had some of each carved for us. They were all beautifully cooked and really delicious as were the vegetables. They seemed really busy with several families too. The service from their staff, some quite young, was first class and the whole atmosphere warm and friendly. We shall definitely return but next time take some friends with us and probably as we are both retired for a weekday lunch or evening meal. We would recommend the Nelson to anyone - their December Christmas Menu looks really good too.

1  Thank elderlywhisperer

Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I were staying in Cold Ashton nearby with my wife's parents and had already spied the Lord Nelson earlier that day when visiting and decided to book in for an evening meal. The menu was very diverse and varied and offered a great selection of both home cooked specialities and some great offers.

My in-laws decided to have the steak and the fish and chips which were on offer that evening (£18.95 for two dishes, can't go wrong!). Both came beautifully presented and in good portion sizes too and the in laws were very happy in their food choices. I had the steak and ale pie which was really nicely cooked, very tasty and went down a treat on a wet cold Halloween evening. My wife had the mushroom risotto which was really well cooked and delicious. Both of the waiting staff were really friendly and kindly fetched drinks, condiments and ensured our meals were all in order.

Alastair and Claire made us feel very welcome and came over during the evening to say hello, collect plates, take dessert orders and given how busy they were that evening we felt very welcome at their pub.

The dessert choices were great, some lovely sticky toffee pudding and a gorgeous honey/vanilla ice cream.

The atmosphere has been made very friendly and given it was halloween the children coming in and out were welcomed into the pub with a tray of sweet things which didn't disturb the dining guests, both publicans were chatty and friendly with the children and parents alike.

Would we return? Most definitely, it's now firmly on our list of places we know in and around Bath and we look forward to a return visit.

Thanks for a lovely evening and a superb end to our holiday week.

2  Thank Tim C
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I were travelling to Bath, and decided to stop off at this Inn. I had read the previous reviews on this site, but saw that it was "hit and miss" but prepared to give it a go. On entering the Inn, we were greeted by Elliott, who was very polite, helpful and welcoming. The pub was quiet as it was a Monday Lunchtime, and the customers in there all appeared regulars, however at no time were we not treated well, and Elliott was very attentive to our needs. There was a standard fare menu, but also there was a good selection of "specials" on the board. My wife ordered the Steak and Ale pie, with vegetables, which was hot and very tasty, certainly to be recommended. I had the honey roast Gammon with chips and salad,which was on the main menu. The ambiance of the premises was really good, and it was an enjoyable hour. So as a couple and meeting Elliott, I have no complaints at all, and was seriously thinking of stopping off here on our return trip, but ran out of time. And YES, I would recommend it, and say give it a go, I'm pleased we did !

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had a Saturday family lunch and would not go back. My wife ordered a Brandy Coffe, which was on the menu, and she was brought a brandy , when my wife pointed out the error there was no apology just the staff muttering about it amongst themselves. Finally my wife had enough and went up to the desk asking if there was a problem. Hardy a good atmosphere to enjoy a meal.
The meal came with little or no veg amongst the eight of us and was of only average quality.
We have had a few sunday lunches there in the past which were .
Would not return although we love the village and its shops.

1  Thank bristol29
Triumph12, Owner at The Lord Nelson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are somewhat confused to the comments about your Saturday lunch experience.

The first is we had no table bookings or walk-in's for 8 people on Saturday lunch?
We do not have brandy coffees or liqueur coffees advertised on our menus and have not had for over 4 months?
There are only couple of items on the menu which have vegetable accompaniments which is seasonable, and in plentiful supply?

Was it defiantly the Lord Nelson at Marshfield you visited??

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The foods pretty good but if your thinking of going with a child, or definitely children, choose another pub in this village. I understand children running around in a pub is not the done thing but the response to the children when outside will not see me return. There are ways to treat people and to talk to them....their way is not one.

1  Thank Chooch B

Firstly thank you for your review, which we feel we must respond too. We always take all comments seriously and use them in a positive way to improve our business.
We are sorry to read that you felt “we are not a family orientated pub” but we are sure many of our regular families that visit us for Sunday lunch will disagree with the comments and that we are very family orientated. We have always welcomed families and provide for all their needs to the best of our ability. However it is the responsibility of parents to have control of their own very young children and respect other patrons enjoying their visit, and not allow disregard for pub property. We took this stance, because we had several complaints from other valued family customers.