“Food OK, service clearly considered optional”
Review of Bocados - CLOSED

Bocados
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bocados Warners Bay is an intimate Spanish Tapas bar serving authentic food, transporting its diners on a Journey to Spain. With Small 'Tapas', larger 'Racions' and banquet menus for customers to share and enjoy, or dine in a traditional entree and Main format. We also offer great Spanish wines and beers and traditional spanish sangria, coffee,dessert and churros.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Warners Bay, despite the ideal location, has long been sold short when it comes to good dining. And I am sorry to say that the stakes haven't advanced any with the arrival of Bocados.

After reading favourable reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, my wife and I very much looked forward to sampling some Spanish cuisine at Bocados. While the quality of the food was generally pretty good (barring every dish being unnecessarily laced with chilli), the service was so poor it was a joke.

We thought we had given ourselves ample time by allowing 1 1/2 hours to have a meal before heading off to the movies. We arrived on time for our booked table and limited our choices to 2 tapas dishes and 2 mains. The waiter did caution us that the lamb loin special selected for a main could take a little longer to cook but he would do his best to see it arrive with the other main. He needn't have bothered.

First tapas dish (white bait) arrived within 10 minutes of ordering - good. Second tapas dish (BBQ squid) took a further 20 minutes to materialise. 20 minutes later the lamb arrives - "better not wait" says the missus, mindful of the earlier wait on the second tapas. After a further 10 minutes of my wife staring into space as I eat my main we finally get the attention of a waitress, who initially thought it was nice when I said I had had my meal for over 10 minutes and my wife's meal was yet to arrive. After I got a little blunt, she goes to check on the order, returning to say it will be another 4 minutes. 15 minutes pass by and my meal is long gone before my wife's paella finally arrives, by this time it is only a few minutes before our necessary departure time. Waiter is very apologetic saying that the delay was his fault and committing to waive the charge for the dish. Rushed scoffing down of the paella by my wife while I now pick up duties of staring off into space, before making a hasty dash to the car to arrive at our movie session just as the lights are turning down.

And for the full hour and 40 minutes that we were at Bocados, the table next to us remained littered with the food of the party that departed just as we arrived. Wait staff walking past every few minutes and seemed to have plenty of time to casually chat to diners yet not one could be bothered to pick up a cloth and clean a table.

While the food would warrant a return visit, the poor service and noisy atmosphere will not see us return to Bocados.

3  Thank Alan G

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Three of us had a very enjoyable meal - five tapas plates were sufficient. Staff is very friendly and helpful in describing each dish (they know their food). Will certainly return, if only for the great Spanish Verdhejo house wine.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We have eaten here about 6 to 8 times since it opened and have always been impressed with the food. We are however getting bored with same menu since they opened and few specials available and often ones we have seen previously.
This time the service was disapointing. We had to ask for service in order to get anything and the wait staff were just not aware when patrons were trying to get their attention. It became very frustrating. In the end we had to go to the counter to order our desert.
We had to ask for an ice bucket for our white wine on a 30 + degree evening and the amount of ice in the bucket was so stingy it was gone in 5mins and we had to ask for more. I am sure with more attentive staff we would have ordered more drinks and tapas dishes.
Dont get me wrong, i love this place but they need to remember why they are there?

1  Thank sephani
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We booked last minute and could only get in at 8pm, but it was a good option for our group of 4. It was busy but not uncomfortable. We had one member in our group who has never eaten Spanish food or if it comes to that any food outside his comfort zone. He wasn't keen, but he loved every dish. The pork belly was amazing. We decided at the end we would squash another in, but alas there was none left. The service was fantastic, not just from one, but from all the staff. I could not rate them high enough. If there was only one small complaint it was the price of the wine. A little over the top. Overall an wonderful night with amazing food and great service.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

A small restaurant, sister to the larger King Street, Newcastle venue. The same menu. Very good service, reasonable prices, good sized portions. BYO. Visited several times and will return