“Very average for top-end prices. Not worth it.”
Review of Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar
Ranked #5 of 45 Restaurants in Warners Bay
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 8, 2014

As we climbed the steep stairs, I was very impressed with the huge mirror in the stairwell. Things started to go down hill as soon as we got to the top and saw the cafe-style cake display. In truth, it's not a bad restaurant, but it's not a good one - and certainly not the top-class place you would expect for the prices.

Perhaps it's partly due to the local clientelle but I got the distinct impression of being in a club bistro. We were placed on the balcony with some other couples and two 8-seat party groups who were obviously having a great time. Not exactly the intimate anniversary dinner we were hoping for. I don't know why we were not seated in the quieter main room,

The menu was an all-in-one deal with padded vinyl cover, 4 pages of drinks, then the lunch menu and finally the dinner menu - each page encased in plastic sleeve, presumably to protect it from food splatter (those pages which fitted in the sleeve that is). Any decent restaurant charging those prices should be able to afford the time and effort to present separate drinks, lunch, dinner and desert menus printed weekly (or even daily) on nice paper.

When we read it, I noticed that there was no soup or salad options for entrees and all of the meals had a very similar structure. Hardly ground-breaking or imaginative. Only three options for side dishes we ordered a side of green vegetables to share.

And then there was the cutlery - so scratched I find it hard to believe it as actually bought new when the place opened a few years ago.

I ordered the veal and the waitress just wanted to confirm that I was ok with it being pink. Nice that she checked to ensure I didn't send it back for not being cooked "properly" but that was a strong hint of the "style" of the place as well.

I ordered a decent local wine which was not exactly obscure or rare. They didn't have it so I had to order another.

My wife was not impressed by the seafood tasting plate - a wide variety of little seafood bits each tasting worse than the one before. Does a chunk of beer-battered fish normally come on a seafood tasting plate in a top-class restaurant? There are take-away places nearby that do a better seafood meal.

My veal was cooked just right and I was happy with it, but not exactly ground-breaking stuff. They lose a mark for my pet hate - placing the meat on top of the roast potatoes - why roast potato to make them crisp and then soak them in meat juice and sauce?

Oh, and that side of green veges? You could feed one of those party tables with that much broccoli and zucchini!

Deserts were just ok - what can go wrong with chocolate pudding and a coffee tasting combo? Tasted nice but not exactly exciting or innovative.

Overall, not terrible but hardly worth the price - the expression "mutton dressed up as lamb" comes to mind.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I'm not sure what has happened with Brown Sugar. We came here for our anniversary which we have done for a few years now however something seems to have slipped with the restaurants direction. For us it has been for a special occasion, however the standard of food we were presented with was well below average compared with the upmarket prices they are charging. I get that you are paying for a premium view, however where we were sat was not advantageous for the available vista. I guess that if I order a steak medium, yes there are differing definitions, however completely pink inside was a little underdone for my liking. Décor is still pleasant on first entry, however closer inspection reveals that perhaps some of the furnishings have reached the end of their life with well worn edges. Service seems to also have taken a backward step as staff were not very attentive and it took a while for our orders to be taken. I had to get up to grab a waitress after waiting almost 1/2 an hour after arrival. However once taken the food did come out quickly so I believe the staff where aware of the situation and did try to amend. Relatively busy night though and perhaps a little short of staff for the evening. Needless to say I believe Brown Sugar is leaning more towards overpriced pub food in a fine dining setting but I think it needs to choose a single direction hence my identity crisis comment. Having said the above, many restaurants go through phases, so we will return in the future for a second chance.

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My Wife and I Dined here one Sunday night in February. We found the Service here to be below Average, I actually went to the bar myself and ordered a round of drinks. Entrees were nice, my wife enjoyed her main,while mine was a Surf and Turf Steak ordered Medium Rare, which Came out Well done ? All round the Service and Meal Quality does not reflect what you would expect with the price of dining here.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Catered for a beautiful wedding this weekend - 2nd time I have been there recently and very impressed with both function and restaurant.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Had a meal with friends after drinks in the Bar lounges - top quality all round. Friendly and efficient service from the bar and kitchen. Food was extremely nice, better than surrounding restaurants. A nice beverage list as well.