“Breakfast service is terrible”
Review of Hippo Espresso

Hippo Espresso
Ranked #13 of 45 Restaurants in Warners Bay
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have been here for breakfast 3 times. On the last occasion we waited over an hour.. just for breakfast. Seems like they never have enough staff working. Food is good if you have the patience to wait

2  Thank newycrystal

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We love Hippos as it is unique to the area. A sizable restaurant to the back and cafe at the front is always humming with customers. The service is always first rate as they employ several girls to run the floor. There menu is varied offering plentiful and healthy selections. a great place for Lunch or Dinner.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband ordered the chicken burger for roundabout $20 from memory (with chips) and was expecting something quite tasty & special for the price. What he found was a tiny piece of chicken breast (looked like 1/2 a small breast, if that!) on a massive Turkish roll with salad. For the price, he wasn't impressed and when he finally got some attention from the waitresses, he queried whether the chicken was normally this small in the burger as it was completely dwarfed by the Turkish roll. The wait staff returned it to the kitchen but came back with the plate saying yes, that's normal and weren't very helpful. I'll note that my husband hardly ever complains, but he was that disapointed he left the entire meal uneaten. I have worked at a takeaway restaurant in a past life (Nando's) & while only a chain restaurant, if a customer complained about the size of the chicken (as we all know it can vary), we would rectify it, so we weren't very happy with the customer service at Hippo Espresso. We did previously enjoy dining here, as they do make a nice coffee, but after our last experiece we won't be returning.

3  Thank Kiki_Doc
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We met relatives here for lunch. It was the strangest place. It was large, crowded and very noisy. For some bizarre reason, and despite the weird discount furniture store decoration, it reminded me of the old time department store cafeterias. The food was pretty average and rather expensive. It's probably a first and last for me.

1  Thank PadreJose
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hippo can be a very frustrating experience for a customer. For some reason the simplest order is a problem: they struggle to put even two identical drinks or meals on the table at the same time. Today we ordered 2 coffees and a cookie, the coffees arrived together but no sign of the cookie, after 2 minutes I went in search of it. A waitress was placing it on a plate as I arrived at the counter, so I sat back down, another three minutes later still no cookie. By this stage we've drunk our coffees, I went back a second time and brought it back to the table with me. At the next table, one person has nearly finished her sandwich before her partner's sandwich arrives. Meals sit for ages on the pass getting cold, routinely arrive without inclusions such chutney that are indicated on the menu, or toast without butter, drinks can take an eternity or never arrive etc. It's just not worth it, too much hassle and angst over a simple cafe order. Who needs it.

2  Thank crosNewcastle_N_S_W_