“Lions, lions and more lions!”
Review of Ukutula Lion Park

Ukutula Lion Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Brits
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This was our best animal experience in South Africa which we are still talking about! Being able to pick up and play with the babies was a dream come true and experiencing the fantastic work they are doing .

UkutulaLionLodge, I.T. Manager at Ukutula Lion Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2016

Good day, Takemeaway01

Thank you for leaving us a review. We're pleased that you enjoyed your and stay with us.

Thank you so much for your support. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I just got back from volunteering in South Africa at Ukutula. It was absolutely amazing. It was by far the BEST trip we have ever been on and experienced. Outstanding. Ukutula has many animals that they care for dearly. Do not pay attention to the negative reviews that you may come across, as they do not know what they are talking about. We stayed for 2 weeks in July and got to know the owners Willie and Gill very well. They are both the NICEST most caring thoughtful people. Willie even gave us a ride back to the aiport when we had to leave.....during his busy day. So sweet. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. Gill is just incredible, she is so smart and kind and knowledgeable. Ukutula breeds lions and we learned that many lions out in the wild are very sick with Tuberculosis. At Ukutula, studies have been done and actually prove that the lions here are not only happy, but NONE are sick and NONE have Tuberculosis. They do so much research to HELP the animals. They focus on breeding white lions, and they explain everything to you shortly after you arrive as to how and why this all works. As a Volunteer, you stay in a chalet and each day you have a job to do, whether it is playing with the cubs and feeding them (breakfast lunch and dinner) or working with the Rangers (who are so fun and nice!) to help out around Ukutula on various tasks (many include feeding the animals). We met so many people from all over the world who were volunteering with us. As an animal lover, especially of BIG CATS, this trip on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is the best, I'd give it an 11! It exceeded my expectations. The highlight of the trip (there are so many) - go on the lion walks. You walk with lions 1-2 years in age and it is absolutely amazing. Bring a good camera! Another highlight - bottle feeding the 4 week old cub. Priceless. Also, having the Cheetah drink water from my hands.

As a side note, we arrived in July (Winter). The mornings and evenings are COLD! We should have packed warmer clothes. You will need a heavier jacket, gloves, a hat helps too druing their winter. The afternoons warm up so you can wear a t-shirt. It was sunny every single day. Then in the evening (6:00pm) it gets cold again once the sun goes down.
Also - the food was great. We were served breakfast lunch and dinner and all meals were well and they have bottled water as well if you prefer, although their tap water is all filtered and I had no issues at all with food/water/feeling ill. I felt great.
Awesome trip. Amazing experience. Trip of a lifetime and I highly recommend it.

2  Thank Courtenay N
UkutulaLionLodge, I.T. Manager at Ukutula Lion Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2016

Good day, Courtenay M

Thank you for leaving us a review. We're pleased that you've enjoyed your Stay with us.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

It's a rare thing for me to give a 5 star rating ,and to see animals this close. To begin with what a place , the staff was helpful,concerned and alert. This is a hands on park your right there with the animals. Was one of the most memorable things we did in Africa .We also ate lunch here which was very good. As far as the negative reviews look at the numbers, seems more people are enjoying the park than not. My kids are still talking about holding the baby lions. .

UkutulaLionLodge, I.T. Manager at Ukutula Lion Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2016

Good day, Paul G

Reviewed June 28, 2014

What a great day we had. It was wonderful to be so close to these amazing animals. We did the walk with lions which is not to be missed for an extra R250. The park takes really good care of the lions. Well worth a visit.

2  Thank JamesinTana

Good day, JamesinTana

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Amazing experience! We walked in the tall grass with 4 lions for almost a mile. Also played with the cubs and teen cubs. Awesome experience. Not to be missed.

1  Thank Karen F