“Close Encounters with the African Lions”
Review of Ukutula Lion Park

Ukutula Lion Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Brits
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I never would have imagined I would be able to actually hold and pet a Lion. Given that they are still young cubs.. But a great experience indeed. Our guide was great as he toured us around the compound. Oh yes.. watch out for that water pool. There is a crocodile in there.. I walked right by it and later I saw the sign "Beware" LOL. As we walked by the tall perimeter fence of the adult felines. I tried to feel and experience being watched by the large adult lions. I separated from the group and tested their animal hunting instincts, It never fails. they pretended they were asleep as we were all bunched up in a group but after they saw me walking far behind the group, I can see in their eyes that i was "Lunch". They immediately jumped up the ground and ran towards me as if they were about to eat me alive. Thank goodness for the electric fence. Nevertheless, my heart pounded as the never experienced terrified feeling engulfed me. Later in the afternoon, I entered the not so small cubs cage, others in my group dare not enter.. but I thought, what the heck.. It was a once in a lifetime experience and besides one of the guide is with me. So I entered bravely.. It was surreal. After the cage of lions, we walked over to see the pet Tiger, very friendly and playful cat. The end of our tour was feeding the todler age cubs. They were so adorable and wished I could take one home.. then again, they will grow larger than I and will be capable of eating me. yikes..! It was an awsome experience..

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Three boys all voted for this as their trip highlight! Cuddling baby lions and playing with the 4 month-olds was the best experience. The staff were very knowledgeable and there was lots of time to enjoy the cubs. Wonderful refreshments and then a visit to the big cats.

1  Thank momofthree070
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I wholeheartedly recommend visiting Ukutula Lion Park. We visited on Easter Sunday and spent the entire afternoon there, and it was simply amazing. Lunch was followed by a visit to the lion cubs, whereafter we saw the "devils", or the slightly-larger lion & tiger cubs. Once we had our fill of total cuteness, we had a break for refreshments before heading out on the lion walk. All of this, without once feeling touristy or commercial.

All of the staff was amazing, incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, and they were so friendly that we got on splendidly after a few minutes. Overall, this is a phenomenal place.

1  Thank P_Hjert
Reviewed March 30, 2013

As a special treat for my daughters 21st we went to Ukutula as day visitors for the Lion Interaction Program. Our party of 12 family members were greeted warmly and introduced to Sparkley??!! our guide. He was very knowledgeable and kept us all entertained with some truly awful jokes lol.

What can I say, the lion cubs are adorable and with us all from the UK , an absolute treat to be able to handle African cubs of all sizes. ...and yes they love the fuss.

If you get the change JUST GO...you'll love it......Quite fancy volunteering on our return to Africa for the week....its a fantastic place.

1  Thank cathyt25
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I definitely recommend Ukutula! Not only were the lions and other big cats awesome to see and interact with, the staff was incredibly kind and knowledgeable! They also let our driver experience the tour for free, which was really nice and considerate. I will definitely return if I am ever in SA again!