“pleasant meal and drinks”

The Millstone at Old Basing
Ranked #6 of 9 Restaurants in Old Basing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“pleasant meal and drinks”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Visited on a warm early evening expecting a very full pub, but found only moderately populated, so we were easily able to get a seating area for all seven members of our party.

Ale selection was well kept, and delicious - on pump this evening were only wadworth beers (6x, george and dragon, swordfish, horizon, bishops tipple, henry ipa, red white and brew), although on my last visit in April they had Adnam's Ghost Ship as guest.

Food was served in a reasonable time, and wasn't overly expensive (although looking at the specials board, this could have been very different - some of the specials were very very expensive!). Food ordered included steak and ale pie, fish and chips, burger, and ploughmans - everyone enjoyed the food, and agreed it was tasty and well presented.

I knocked my head against a cushioned beam, which was a bit of a surprise, but it seems the old english must have all been dwarves :P - I'm grateful for the buffers against head injury. we were all fascinated by the preserved machinery and sluice.

After the meal we took our drinks outside to enjoy what was left of the warm evening, and the setting was very relaxing. We didn't stay for further drinks as we noticed midges arriving to feast on us. Other than this last issue (that's not really anyone's fault) we had a great time.

• Visited June 2013

Hampshire
“Could be so good”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have lived in Old Basing for 20 years and have seen The Millstone change hands quite a few times, sometimes it's good and other times not so good.
Sadly at the moment it's not so good. The pub itself is a lovely building in a perfect location by the river with plenty of outdoor tables. The food is ok, tries a bit too hard to be a gastro pub and quite expensive for what it is but pleasant enough. The thing that lets it down though is the terrible service. The staff on the last 3 occasions we have been in have been awful, no smiles, messing up the orders, not at all welcoming.
This is a lovely village pub and attracts lots of visitors and could be so good but it's just missing the key things that make people want to return. Such a shame.

• Visited May 2013
San Jose, California
“Off the beaten path but worth the diversion”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I headed into Old Basing to dine at The Crown but on Sunday they dont' serve dinner so three gents in their bar gave me directions to The Millstone as it was the only place serving dinner in this neck of the woods. Keep in mind that these guys had been and were still drinking but it was a right, another right just past the bridge and another right and then stay left and take the stairs on the right for dinner all with a series of hand motions and, at times, seemingly different paths to the restaurant. Okay, that worked on the way in but after a beer there was a question about getting home trying to reverse the steps.

Anyway, The Millstone (Barton's Mill) is a nice pub and restaurant in an old mill (there are even parts of the mill that are open and available for viewing) but watch your head as you're traversing this joint as the folks back then weren't very tall or they had tons of head trama from hitting the huge beams supporting this place.

The Millstone has a proper Sunday dinner with a roast, veggies and yorkshire pudding but I went for the pub fare with their club sandwich with freshly sliced chicken, bacon, greens and two slices of Texas toast thick fresh bread. I also ordered a side salad of rocket lettuce and tomatoes and a pint of ale for good measure. The club was fresh and very tasty but way too much bread for my taste so I decided to enjoy the chicken and bacon with the my salad and a created my own combination of these very good ingredients.

In the pub the service is at the bar so once I figured this out the barkeep took my order and made a beer pairing recommendation. The place is very casual and it looks like a local watering hole with warm folks milling about and service with a friendly smile. The restaurant looked a bit more formal but you can get the same menu in the pub if you're in jeans like I was.

So it's a bit out of the way and, if you've been imbibing you might not get back to your hotel. If only I had the bread on the way to this joint, I could have dropped a trail of crumbs to get me home.

It's a casual fun place with good food (unfortunately I deleted my food photos before writing this review!). It's worth the detour.

• Visited May 2013
“Left disappointed on both occasions”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here twice in the last month, first time in the restaurant, second time in the bar. The overall experience on both occasions was disappointing.

First time round I was entertaining a client. I had booked The Millstone on the recommendation of a colleague. First impressions were good but things started to go rapidly down hill. Service was terribly slow throughout, we were there for two hours but due to time constraints could only manage 1 course as we barely saw any waiting staff after the main had been served. Food was mixed quality and expensive - £30 for a rib-eye steak is premium pricing and not justified by the whole dining experience.

On the second visit I visited the bar for lunch. We both ordered a burger, and both meals were good but on the pricey side. Bar staff were surly and the service left something to be desired.

I won't be going back - shame, this place could be fantastic.

1 Thank Bobby1301
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great location, shame about the food”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've been to the Millstone several times, now called Barton's Mill !
on the last occasion, and it will be my last visit. the food was expensive and very disappointing.

A shame because the pub is in a superb location, with a fantastic character. i found staff were helpful.

My ploughmans lunch, which cost the same as a main meal elsewhere, was basic and small portion.

• Visited March 2013