“Off the beaten path but worth the diversion”

The Millstone at Old Basing
Ranked #6 of 9 Restaurants in Old Basing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I headed into Old Basing to dine at The Crown but on Sunday they dont' serve dinner so three gents in their bar gave me directions to The Millstone as it was the only place serving dinner in this neck of the woods. Keep in mind that these guys had been and were still drinking but it was a right, another right just past the bridge and another right and then stay left and take the stairs on the right for dinner all with a series of hand motions and, at times, seemingly different paths to the restaurant. Okay, that worked on the way in but after a beer there was a question about getting home trying to reverse the steps.

Anyway, The Millstone (Barton's Mill) is a nice pub and restaurant in an old mill (there are even parts of the mill that are open and available for viewing) but watch your head as you're traversing this joint as the folks back then weren't very tall or they had tons of head trama from hitting the huge beams supporting this place.

The Millstone has a proper Sunday dinner with a roast, veggies and yorkshire pudding but I went for the pub fare with their club sandwich with freshly sliced chicken, bacon, greens and two slices of Texas toast thick fresh bread. I also ordered a side salad of rocket lettuce and tomatoes and a pint of ale for good measure. The club was fresh and very tasty but way too much bread for my taste so I decided to enjoy the chicken and bacon with the my salad and a created my own combination of these very good ingredients.

In the pub the service is at the bar so once I figured this out the barkeep took my order and made a beer pairing recommendation. The place is very casual and it looks like a local watering hole with warm folks milling about and service with a friendly smile. The restaurant looked a bit more formal but you can get the same menu in the pub if you're in jeans like I was.

So it's a bit out of the way and, if you've been imbibing you might not get back to your hotel. If only I had the bread on the way to this joint, I could have dropped a trail of crumbs to get me home.

It's a casual fun place with good food (unfortunately I deleted my food photos before writing this review!). It's worth the detour.

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here twice in the last month, first time in the restaurant, second time in the bar. The overall experience on both occasions was disappointing.

First time round I was entertaining a client. I had booked The Millstone on the recommendation of a colleague. First impressions were good but things started to go rapidly down hill. Service was terribly slow throughout, we were there for two hours but due to time constraints could only manage 1 course as we barely saw any waiting staff after the main had been served. Food was mixed quality and expensive - £30 for a rib-eye steak is premium pricing and not justified by the whole dining experience.

On the second visit I visited the bar for lunch. We both ordered a burger, and both meals were good but on the pricey side. Bar staff were surly and the service left something to be desired.

I won't be going back - shame, this place could be fantastic.

1  Thank Bobby1301
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've been to the Millstone several times, now called Barton's Mill !
on the last occasion, and it will be my last visit. the food was expensive and very disappointing.

A shame because the pub is in a superb location, with a fantastic character. i found staff were helpful.

My ploughmans lunch, which cost the same as a main meal elsewhere, was basic and small portion.

1  Thank Derby_Chris187048
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Lovely building and good service, however the frequent price increases are spoiling it,.. Far too expensive for drinks,. Seem to ramdomly increase by 20p a pint,

Will be £5 a pint by this time next year,...

4  Thank Matt S
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have come to the Millstone for lunch for many, many years. It's such a pretty location. The wait for food has always been a problem. Yesterday, I discovered that unless you want a vastly overpriced sandwich, there is no lunch available at the Millstone. My brother tells me that the clientelle in the evening had become pretty rough. But that is no reason for pushing away lunchtime business. Shame.

1  Thank Anynameunderthesun