“A little piece of heaven”

Brook Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Melsiripura
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our third visit to Brook and even though our previous visits were wonderful this one exceeded all our expectations. We took some friends who had never been before and they were blown away. Everything was absolutely perfect from start to finish. From the very special warm personal welcome from Karen and Pubudu to the final team photo with the excellent staff.

We were lucky enough to have the two bedroom villa with its own jacuzzi pool and garden, with sunbeds and rocking chairs to relax in, a lovely sitting room and kitchenette with 2 fridges for all the beer and wine! The beds can not be beaten... The best sleep to be had in Sri Lanka with the softest pillows and downy white duvets.

We relaxed in the bar overlooking the gardens and sampled the extensive range of drinks before dinner. When the sun goes down flaming torches are lit in on the pathways. Dinner was 4 courses (5 if you include the sorbet) of divine cuisine, seafood, steak, imaginative desserts and specially created soups. The chef himself comes to the table to make sure everyone is happy.

Breakfast is an absolutely unbelievable feast. Sri Lankan curries with all the accompaniments, rice, string hoppers, egg and plain hoppers, sambol. Also eggs how you like with mushrooms, tomato, two types of sausage, bacon, hash browns, baked beans! All just brought to the table as a matter of course. Then theres the waffles and maple syrup, fresh fruit, cheeses and biscuits... Not forgetting the freshly baked croissants, danish, bread and buns, washed down with tea, coffee, water and fresh fruit juice.

Once we managed to move from the breakfast table we made it to the hill top swimming pool surrounded by velvet grass and beautiful colourful flowers to spend an entire day laying on the sun loungers and drifting in the crytal clear pool enjoying the magnificent views of the mountain and the estate. The peace and tranquility has to be experienced to believe. No sounds except birds and insects, no pollution. An absolutely heavenly day. With another evening of good company, drinks and another fabulous culinary experience.

The staff were discreet, friendly and efficient, fulfilling our every need...... Bringing cans of beer in a huge punch bowl of ice up to the pool for us and quietly making sure that we had everything we needed to make our stay perfect the whole weekend.

There is a lovely country spa, a karaoke room and a games room but we were too busy doing nothing to do more than look at these..... Maybe next time.

My husband and I have travelled quite extensively in Sri Lanka and stayed in luxury hotels all over the island. We have to say that Brook Boutique could not be criticised for a single thing. We did not want to leave and will certainly be back again very soon. Big thankyou for an amazing weekend x

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andreakaren
Karen W, Co-Founder/Director Operations at Brook Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Andrea,

After your amazing & extra long review of Brook's perfection & attention to details; the only thing I'm going to do is humbly "Thank you" for your eloquent praise. We were happy to welcome you back for your 3rd visit & now I can say we look forward to your 4th. which is already booked & confirmed in the New Year.

A matter of only 2 weeks after your visit, Pubudu & I collected our World Luxury Hotel Award at the Gala in Kuala Lumpur. Every little thing you mentioned in your review has played its part in creating enjoyable experiences for our guests to be delighted to stay at Brook.

Looking forward to welcoming many times more......

Karen & the Team @ Brook.

There are newer reviews for Brook Boutique Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 10, 2012

As a cabin crew, 95% of my time is spent in hotel rooms all around the world, so when I had less than a week off work I wasn’t looking to cooped up in yet another, only thing was this turned out to be one of my most relaxing holidays.

The staffs are very thoughtful & cater to our every need, whether you’re eating in the main hotel at the dining room or having your meals by the private pool, on several occasions I ordered food that was not on the menu & the staff only confirmed how I would like it prepared & made it for me. This for me was very personalized; from the pillows to the bath tub, the entire room is so relaxing. Out door seating by your private pool where I was able to read, which not to mention the hotel has a mini library & a big selection of DVDS for however you’d like to spend your time.

Go ahead; treat yourself to one of the most relaxing getaways you could imagine.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola F
Karen W, Co-founder / Director Operations at Brook Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Nicola,

To be so well enjoyed by a 'seasoned' traveller such as yourself, confirms that we are achieving all that Pubudu & I envisaged when we were building & developing Brook. We set our 'goals' on being the very best in guest care & satisfaction, which our recent win in the World Luxury Hotel Awards seems to corroborate.

The team & I wish you 'safe skies' wherever you fly & hope you will return to Brook whenever you get the chance.

Best regards

Karen, Pubudu & the Brook team.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Dilu & Hesh

We started and concluded our Honeymoon week at this perfect romantic getaway, relaxing in the calm and quiet atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and provided excellent customer service. Their chef did wonders with different dishes; food was awesome. Rooms are so so comfy..... So far the best place I have ever been to in Sri Lanka. If you ever need a place to relax and let romance blossom, then Brook’s the ideal place for you!

Room Tip: Go for the Chalets, think it was room number 8, has its very own pool and indoor jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dilushka

Dear Dilu & Hesh,

The Team at Brook would like to 'thank you' for not only choosing to stay with us once on your Honeymoon but coming back to spend your last night with us as well. We are delighted that you rate us as the best place you have been to in Sri Lanka, knowing that you have visited many top class hotels.

Since your visits, we have learnt that we have won a "World Luxury Hotel Award" & will be claiming our trophy at a ceremony in KL, next month, so we are thrilled that you spoke highly of our staff's 'customer service', as that was the big factor in winning the award. Our chefs love it when our guests appreciate their culinary skills, thank you on their behalf.

All our warmest wishes go out to you for a lifetime of happiness & we look forward to your next visit to Brook.

Best regards,

Karen, Pubudu & the Team.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was our special re-union weekend celebration - with friends coming in from the US France & Australia - I was asked to organize something special. Trust me from the moment we entered Brook we were spoilt rotten. The food just awesome. The rooms are so beautifully decorated with attention to detail. Definitely the best beds in Sri Lanka for comfort. there's a pillow menu, and when we felt guilty about eating too much we got on the treadmill - one in every room then had fun in our private jacuzzi. A visit to the main pool is a must - it's heavenly.We had a karaoke night and a quiz night tailor made by the Partner Karen. Someone said You can't have enough of a good thing - this ones for Brook & the wonderful team & thank you again We are coming back.
Congratulations on being awarded a prize at the luxury hotels awards ...Rozobelle and friends

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rozobelle
Karen W, Co-founder / Director Operations at Brook Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Dear Rozobelle & friends,

Having such a charming group of ladies stay a couple of nights for a special reunion, lent a definite air of sophistication to Brook, especially in 'Butterflies' our "Fine Dining-room" where you experienced our chef's exceptional dishes including foie gras & a trio of Brook's signature desserts; accompanied by some of our fine wines. As you said, it was a good job you had the treadmill & gym balls to help.

Thank you for your comment that our beds are the best in Sri Lanka for comfort & noticing the effort which has gone into making this an unique hotel in the boutique world. The ladies from abroad, as well as those from Colombo will always be welcome at Brook. I better start devising a new quiz for you.

Thank you for choosing Brook Boutique for you get-together; it was our privilege to serve you. We await your return.

Kind regards to you & your party,

Karen & The Team at Brook

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We have stayed here because our friend Glen Terry from Udekki recommended this place. Oh wauw. The staff, the chef, the food, the environment, the treatment, the luxury, the guide for our tours (Jayanta and Prasad), beautiful Karin and super Pupudu, Reggy. Wauw to infinity. I've enjoyed the most tasteful consommé avec des quenelles au poulet and more in this tropical environment. The staff is present to service you in the way worth the seven stars of Dubai and be invisible. The way I love it. Isharas passionfruit cocktail is superb. So if my daughter gets married (hurry up darling), she'll have this present.
By the way my sons of 12 and 14 truly enjoyed this stay and have some trouble getting adjusted back to the basics we normally do.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Estate Villa, if you can, have this one, otherwise the superior room are great as w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sitasharmila

Dear Sita & family,

It was a joy having you & your family stay with us & I'm happy that the 2 bedroom villa was so well appreciated by you all. Thanks go to our mutual good friend, Glenn Terry the owner of Udekki, over in Kalpitiya (a wonderful beach-side boutique hotel) for suggesting you spent the next part of your holiday in Sri Lanka, with us. Pubudu & I enjoyed sharing time with you over our evening cocktails. The boys really seemed to be happy with the pool table & table tennis, the karaoke & loved the hill-top pool as well as that in the garden of the villa.

Our chefs so enjoy creating wonderful food & nothing is more rewarding than having wonderful guests who enjoy eating it. All our staff were sorry to wave you good-bye. Thank you for referring to the standard of service at Brook as being worth the 'seven stars of Dubai'; a lot of our staff have worked in several of the leading Middle East hotels including the 7-star variety & Pubudu & I don't let the standards drop, we constantly train & update the staff.

We are thrilled that you are planning on offering a Sri Lankan honeymoon with a stay at Brook for your daughter when she gets married. You can be assured how well we will look after them.

Before I finish, I'll share the news with you that we are one of the winners of a prestigious World Luxury Hotel Award for this year, thank you for voting for us.

Come back some day, we will always be ready to welcome your arrival from Amsterdam.

Kind wishes to you all,

Karen & the Team at Brook.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I happened to look up Brook Boutique, our favourite hotel, on Trip Advisor the other day and was very
upset to see that somebody had been very unkind in their comments. I grew more annoyed when I
read the hotels comments where they are saying that this woman hadn’t even stayed at the hotel. It
has prompted me to add my comments on what is probably the very best hotel in Sri Lanka.

My beautiful wife and I were fortunate to spend two nights of our Honeymoon here at Brook last
May. It was the most wonderful experience, we had a lovely bedroom with a window seat and all the
facilities you could wish to find in your room. The service of the very friendly staff and the delicious
food made our stay very special.

What that lady was complaining about is so wrong. When we were there they had a rule that children
had to be from 14, now, I hear it is from 7. It was wonderful for us; we had a beautiful peaceful place
to enjoy together. At the fantastic pool, we enjoyed having it to ourselves, we know that if there had
been little kids running around screaming and crying, as little ones do, we would not have been able
to enjoy. Brook really gives you the feeling that it is there for grown-ups and we were two grown-ups
who loved it. The management seem to care about making the most calm and relaxing time for their
guests. Keeping little ones away doesn’t make this place bad; it makes it special for people who want
just bird songs & butterflies, peace to sit and read a book or simply chill.

It is 14 months since we were there on our Honeymoon and we are very soon about to have a baby
of our own but I respect this hotel so much, I would never think of trying to take our little one there
but in time to come, we’ll leave the baby with the grandparents for a night or two and I can take my
wife back to this excellent hotel to relax. If anyone is looking for the most romantic hotel for their
Honeymoon, don’t hesitate in booking here at Brook, in our opinion it really is the Very, Very best
Honeymoon place. I see from other people’s comments, that many more think the same as us.

Thank you Brook, we have voted for you in the Hotel Awards and hope you win because you are
great. We are honestly giving you 5 in each category because that is what you deserve. Good luck for
the future of our favourite hotel, Brook Boutique.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tharinduax
Karen W, Co Founder/Director Operations at Brook Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Tharindu,

How kind of you to speak up for what we are trying to achieve at Brook Boutique, it is very heartening for myself, the other directors & staff members to know how much our policies are actually appreciated. As somebody once said, "You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but never all the people all of the time" but at least at Brook we give it a jolly good try!

It is always our pleasure to welcome our guests to a calm & peaceful environment & I hope that sometime in the not too distant future you & your wife will come back to your 'favourite' hotel.

Good luck for the arrival of your baby, do let us know what you have?

Karen & the Team at Brook Boutique.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We visited this place on our way to Dambulla, its a beautiful place, but the only hic up was that they said that no kids were allowed, and well from the moment i heard that i was Put off, What kind of Holiday place can tell you that no kids are allowed, it is costly YES!!! but not a problem, as long as there is value for money, here you have that, but they say no to children....sad but true...Just a waste, where would the married couples with kids leave their kids and come???
Not a Good Ideai would say for a place like this, as i saw it children have many a space to run around and play, so its a shame that they do not accomodate kids here..

Room Tip: no point as kids are not allowed
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank larinetoussaint
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Larine Toussaint

Thank you very much for your review, we are happy to note that you thought our hotel 'a beautiful place' and you were kind enough to note that we give value for money.

Regarding your actual complaint, I'm afraid you were completely incorrect in your statement 'no kids allowed' as our hotel policy accepts children, initially, we had a policy of 14 years but we reduced it last year to children of 7years & above, so allow me to explain our concept.

We have never marketed our hotel as a 'family' hotel, instead it is regarded as a "couples" hotel, being that I am British, I think this is a concept recognised by most Europeans & Americans. There are numerous famous hotels around the world, including here in Sri Lanka, who do not accept children at all but we do.

You are very fortunate that as a family when you want to travel you have your pick of 99% of hotels world-wide but what about the others, older couples, honeymooners, gay couples, stressed out business people who all just want peace, tranquillity & relaxation - that is what we are offering them here at Brook. It's not that we don't like children, we do, very much, but please think about the hotel, we have some steep steps, unguarded fish pond, areas fenced only by tensile steel cables, although all are completely safe for adults, a little one could have a mishap and we are surrounded by an 80 acre working estate, an open stream etc, etc. Older children know the meaning of danger, little ones do not. We do not have a kiddies pool nor provide cots & high-chairs or toys & games for little ones.

We have actually received grateful thanks from married couples, who have left their children at home with the grandparents or aunties, saying how wonderful it was to totally have time for each other once again; one review was headed "Truly a perfect place to rekindle your romance" - a little difficult to do with kids in tow! These days 'romance' is very much in the air at Brook with many Honeymoon couples making it their dream destination. If you had taken the time to read through the 33 glowing reports we have received up to date, you would have found how our guests value the calm peaceful environment which is Brook.

Was it a mistake on your part that you gave us a 'poor' rating while marking us very high with 5s & 4s for Rooms, Cleanliness, Service, Value, Location and Sleep Quality (we are a little bemused by the last one, as it appears you did not actually stay in one of our rooms & know what it is like to sleep in our beds & to experience the pillow menu but just looked around!) A mistake like that could affect our overall rating but anyhow, we are still #1 hotel in the North Western Province.

Thank you Larine for successfully helping me promote Brook because future guests who are looking for luxury, comfort with peace & quiet will certainly look at your review & know that they will find what they require at Brook Boutique, a sophisticated adult hotel.

Yours

Karen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melsiripura
Heritance Kandalama
#15 of 20 in Sigiriya
Aliya Resort & Spa
Aliya Resort & Spa
#4 of 20 in Sigiriya

Been to Brook Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!