“Fabulous starter”
Review of The Dorset Arms

The Dorset Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dorset Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Withyham
Cuisines: European, Seafood, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2014

After a less than memorable dinner at The Griffin Inn Fletching we dropped into The Dorset Arms for a quick drink lunchtime. Lovely pub with very friendly bar staff. As we were not that hungry we sadly only had one of their starter specials. WOW!!! One of the most delicious starters we have eaten in a long while. Beetroot and goats cheese salad. As this was by far the best goats cheese I have ever tasted I was keen to find out where it was from. The waitress, after a chat to chef, shared his recipe with me. All the food on tables looked delicious and if we are ever in the area again I know which pub I would choose to dine in

1  Thank Anna P

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I had been there a few years ago. Disappointing so I never went back. A friend told me the pub has been taken back by the De la Warr family and that the quality has gone up a lot.
We had a delicious meal with a German business contact.
I was impressed by the menu, the food quality, the wine choice, the comfort and the service. This is certainly going to be my pub of choice for meals.
No 5 stars: I would normally give a pub one to three, depending on quality. It's not Michelin star place but for a pub it's exceptional.
I'll be back!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We have been going to the Dorset Arms for some years and unfortunately through some of the not so good ones when we stopped going. Having heard of the new take over and refurb we decided to give it another try and I'm so glad we did. The food was superb, we had crab toast followed by roast beef which melted in your mouth. The staff were friendly and efficient and nothing was too much trouble. The refurb has been symmpathetically done, modernising and brightening without detracting from it's old world charm. We will definitely be back.

3  Thank SSudlow
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was traveling through London and heard about this Pub. After doing my research and learning that an old Time Magazine named this spot one of the world's best pubs, I ventured to Sussex to try it for myself. Time Magazine was spot on! Everything about this spot was special from the delicious cuisine to fantastic atmosphere to friendly staff. In fact, I enjoyed my lunch so much that I came back for dinner! For lunch, I ordered the steak special which was cooked perfectly and had an herb butter that complemented the delicious beef. I finished lunch with two scoops of some of the best ice cream I've ever had. For dinner, I ordered the lemon sole. Again, the meal was flawlessly prepared and had a beautiful presentation. The warm atmosphere and attentive, knowledgeable staff helped create a most enjoyable experience. This was definitely worth the trip and I will certainly be a repeat customer.

4  Thank Drew717
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Having looked forward to visiting, post the pub's recent renovation, I was very impressed after enjoying lunch here today. The interior decor is superb and uniquely attractive complimenting a lovely menu of reasonably-priced and well-made dishes. The bar staff is friendly, welcoming and attentive. Ten out of ten!

3  Thank Neal1967