“Don't be put off by the comments of others.”

Hotel National Davos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Davos Platz
Nottingham
“Don't be put off by the comments of others.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

Reading the comments on Trip Advisor before our journey I was dreading our holiday but it was completely different to what had been said and had to join TA to put our view across as we feel the hotel was getting a raw deal.Yes it is an old hotel and some features of it may need updating but the staff were courteous and very helpful at all times and the food was exceptional. There is an a la carte restaurant but there is no need to use it as the five and six course dinner is superb.The hotel is spotlessly clean, comfortable ,with a Swiss charm. We enjoyed our holiday very much.Don't be put off by the comments of others. .

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a week during our christmas vacation in Davos. The staff and dining are very good, considering that you're staying in an alp village. We also found that the breakfast had a lot to offer and certainly had a better selection than normally on our skiing vacations.

The location is not ideal, since the closest lift (Jacobshorn) is about 600m away from the hotel. Bus stop is about 200m away but the hotel is uphill from these two mentioned locations. Another thing that you should consider is the church (Marienkirche) right next to the hotel, so make sure you get a room facing south. Otherwise you will need earplugs to get away from the bells.

The rooms we stayed in were a bit worn, especially the bathroom color was quite hideous (not from the last two-three centuries). It might be that we did not have the refurbished rooms and during the week we thought that we should have asked for an upgrade in the first place. The room was also very warm and it was impossible to get the heat down from the radiators. Only way to cool down was to keep the window open for quite some time.

The service and dining in the evening were very nice. They also had quite good selection of wines to choose from. We were served four course dinners every evening. One thing that we found a little odd was that there was nothing special for the Christmas. In some of the other places we've stayed in they've always had a special christmas dinner, but here they served the normal course. For New Year's eve they will have a special serving. There is a nice little fondue restaurant just down the main street (Gentiana) where we had our christmas dinner.

All-in-all a good stay, but I would propably not give the hotel four stars. Maybe ***+ would be in place!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

We were staying in Hotel National for the Christmas'09.

First impression was that hotel certainly needs renovation. It was very clean and maintained, but the rooms and facilities were from 70-80's. There was no one big / king size bed, but two separate beds with huge "valley" between them. Otherwise the furnitures were old and basic.

Hotel breakfast was good, and dinners pretty good as well, but the wine list was not as good as usually in this kind of "better" hotels. The service of the staff was good, and there was enough staff for quick and friendly service - however there was quite a few guests at that time.

The hotel location was quiet and close to SkiBus route - however when you come back from skiing you have to walk small hill up to the hotel - but hey, you're there for the sports anyway! :) Otherwise all the services of Davos Dorf are nearby, which is really good.

One big minus is the skiroom, as it really is only a room for skis - no dryer for the boots. You're supposed to take the boots to the room and dry them there if you can... But you can walk to your room with the boots!

Also sauna/spa would be nice, but we already knew the lack of it when we made the booking. But you can use nearby hotel facilities for free if you want.

I was about to give rating "GOOD" but as I can't recommend the hotel in current conditions, I lowered my rating to "average".. But there really is nothing terribly wrong with the hotel, it just was not exactly what I expected for the price.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

I suggest you disregard earlier reviews. My Inghams rep tells me that this hotel has recently changed management and has had a major refurb.

Certainly, the National Hotel I stayed at bore little resemblance to the one I was expecting based on the reviews I read here. I found an excellent hotel. Recent refurbishment was obvious, but was pleasingly sympathetic to the hotel's original styling; nothing looked "tired" to me.

My single room was smallish, but well equipped with wardrobe and drawers, so I had no problem with clutter. Everything worked, and everything was clean. Doors connecting adjoining rooms created a bit of a noise transmission problem though.

Great staff, attentive, smiling, and all of whom spoke excellent English. Free wifi Internet access on ground and first floor. Location as good as any in Davos (I'm not sure Davos has an "ideal" hotel location - it's that kind of place).

Ski equipment room arrangements are unusual. There's a room for your skis, but you're allowed to put your ski boots on in your room and walk through the hotel wearing them. Unique in my experience: all other hotels I know of forbid that.

The food was a highlight - really good, perhaps the best food I've ever had in any hotel. I recommend you stay here half-board. Multi-course meals, served with a pleasing flourish (I won't spoil the surprise by telling you what I mean by that). Bring some smart casual clothes though: everyone but me dressed quite well for dinner, leaving me feeling a tad embarrassed in my T-shirt, jeans, and walking shoes. Darn that 20kg luggage allowance!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Cheltenham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

This was the third hotel on a 3 centre "Glacier Express" tour. Pleasant if somewhat anonymous modern hotel close to the centre. Our rooms in the previous hotels had been large, but this was quite small - little bigger than those found in "Travelodge" type places. However, it did have a nice balcony. The public rooms were very comfortable and the food was excellent, with extremely pleasant dining room staff. A very big "plus point" about Davos is the free pass to local cable cars, funiculars, trains, etc.

• Liked — good public rooms
  • Disliked — small bedrooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Cheltonian
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

Nice welcome at the station and easy transfer to the hotel, which is uphill from the station and main street. Access back to station is easy by lift from main street.
Check-in a bit fussy, but ok.
Make sure you get a balcony south-facing room. Non-balcony singles are more 1 star than 4. Hotel overall is classed as 4 star but this seems generous in reality. The family owners are renovating the property but there is probably a 10 year programme involved.
Doubles good sized but furniture very 1970s and a bit tired.
Good breakfast and ok dinners. Chef is obviously operating on a tight budget, but does pretty well.
No room safes although there is a safe at reception.
No writing table in room but there are facilities in reception.
Pay internet terminal at reception where it's CHF 5 for 15 minutes- a bit of a rip-off. Free internet at the tourist office!!
Better options in town, but acceptable overall.

• Liked — Service at the bar
  • Disliked — The room and tired environment
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Donald M
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2005

I've stayed at this hotel twice now. Last year I had a single room which was small but OK. This year travelled with my two daughters and had a very comfortable room with balcony (not that we used it in the winter).

We were collected from the station and check in consisted of handing me the key - no formalities required at all which was great.

The hotel has a nice restaurant. We had half board and the table d'hote evening meal comprised seven courses; they brought out exactly the same for my 9 year old! Anyway, the food was very good quality.

In the afternoon they provide tea and cakes in the very comfortable lounge area.

The hotel is close to the bus stop for the various ski areas (you can walk to the Jakobshorn area).

Most importantly the staff are friendly and extremely courteous.

Not cheap but good value; would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2005
#1 of 56 in Davos
Hotel Edelweiss Davos
Morosani Posthotel Davos
Ameron Mountain Hotel Davos

Been to Hotel National Davos? Share your experiences!