“A once in a lifetime experience!”
Review of Dorset Arms Hotel

Dorset Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Wallsend B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Dear Dorset Arms Hotel,
On the 28th July 2012 my wife and I had a totally unique experience at your establishment and we feel your internet particulars should be amended to reflect the same. May I suggest the following –?

Upon your arrival you will collect your key from the bar, where, to provide interest, you can cleverly avoid the discarded clothing left on the floor. When in your pre-booked ‘double en suite room’ we helpfully supply an additional single bed and site the double one against the wall to make room for the former. This has the advantages for one of your party to either climb over the other to get into bed or experience the delights of climbing in from the base.
This arrangement also has the surprise opportunity for guests to pull the bed into the middle of the room to tuck in the sheet that we have left loose to give that ‘previously slept in look’.
We will then impart our greatest surprise news - that, on this night, we have booked a band to play in the bar that is thoughtfully positioned right underneath your room. Therefore you do not have to go down stairs to hear them, in fact, for your delectation, they are so loud that you will be saved the distraction of the TV in your room (as you will not be able to hear it) and, probably for the only time in your life, you will enjoy the sensation of the walls and floor actually deflecting with the vibration of the group's PA.. To paraphrase a song – you will really ‘feel the noise’!
Just to add a little more spice the band will liberally alter the lyrics of well known classic rock songs to include use the usual expletive thus providing the artistic innovation of rendering the lyrics meaningless.
Unfortunately the band will have to finish their cacophonous endeavours around 11 pm but to save you the inconvenience of falling asleep before midnight we ensure that the piped music/raucous drunken conversation continues until this time. Again our intentional non provision of any soundproofing will mean you will feel you are in the bar and could actually join in with this convivial banter. Thereafter the traffic noise from the nearby A1058 will fill the void for those who hate peace and quiet.
For our more hirsute guests we provide 6 sachets of shampoo for the shower but no shower gel/soap as these items would be extraneous to your needs.
To avoid the inconvenience of making cups of tea/coffee for both of you more than once we helpfully only supply 3 milk portions.
We also provide a novel breakfast experience. Upon entering the dining room we will show you to a table set for just one of your party and, at a leisurely pace, provide the other setting whilst you eat your meal – or afterwards! Just to test your powers of observation we will provide a loaf of brown bread that has gone mouldy and our special toaster ensures that you really work up an appetite waiting for its product. Finally to complete your dining experience we will ensure that the scrambled eggs are micro-waved just long enough to remove any vestige of flavour.
To sum up we are proud not to offer the normal ‘hotel’ experience but that of an adventure in an estate pub with rooms.

I trust you will agree these amendments as I am sure your bookings will change dramatically. Thank you once again for a unique stay I have not had before in my previous 30 years of travelling.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any rooms not sited above the bar.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank David R
WMaster6564, Owner at Dorset Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

The Dorset Arms Hotel is running under new managment from August 2013 and all issues have been noted,

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Booked it as a result of proximity to our needs. there was always a car park or two left when we returned each evening. The bed was comfortable and the room adequate for our needs. A nice new bathroom and blinds that shut out most of the light. Was exceptionally clean. The staff were always friendly and eager to please. The parrot didn't bite and provides quite the conversation as your having your full English breakfast. His little dog wanders around but is never a nuisance. The locals seem all descent folk and typical of the clientele at a few of the locals near my own work so I felt right at home. He even bought some soy milk for me as I told him of my milk allergy. His staff sorted a loose panel in the bedroom as soon as it was reported

It was a warm night so I had to leave the windows open as there is no other ventilation and the boiler lives right behind the reading desk. As a result I had to put in my ear plugs as the pub refrigeration equipment makes quite the racket. The owners car alarm went off just as I was waking up (twice) but his profuse apologies and pleasant nature means you can forgive this fellow for anything!

I will come here again whenever my business brings me back
The Guinness is just right and they have a real kitchen

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wearytraveller43
WMaster6564, Manager at Dorset Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

All the staff at the Dorest Arms Hotel

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Had a fantastic night out at the Dorset Arms, The staff could not have been nicer.
Top quality

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robbothemainman

We would like to thank you for your positive review and lookforward to greeting you in the near future,

Reviewed May 27, 2012

…You Can If You Know Where to Eat
After losing 17 pounds on the agel fit challenge I was in need of some good English Grub as a birthday treat. I booked a table for 6pm at the Dorset Arms Hotel in Wallsend 28 th April 2012… and was not disappointed.

With all desserts and starters for only £2.50,one main meal only £5.95 we selected
2 main meals for only £10. I chose to have the lot. The broth was delicious, not salty and piping hot.Both myself and my partner opted for the Butterfly chicken breast on a bed of peppered leak ands tarragon wine cream sauce. It was one of those unique meals which make you reluctant to take the last mouthful. It was served with seasonal veg and an extra portion of chips…which I had not eaten for 12 weeks. I finished off with apple crumble and ice cream… my partner was full up and could not manage a dessert.

The food was very tasty and the staff very friendly. If you are looking to celebrate a special occasion , without maxing out the credit, I highly recommend the Dorset Arms Hotel.From Monday to Saturday 12pm-9pm providing every day value,great quality and affordable prices. All functions are catered for from the cradle to the crypt.

Best Regards,

Brian Louden

Ps A carvery Sunday Lunch Menu is available but it is recommended to book early

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian L

All the staff at the Dorset Arms Hotel

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Nice looking from the outside but when entering a small dog jumped up at me and there was another dog in there belonging to a customer, a big parrot in the corner so if you dont like animals, dont go in.
Room was tatty, small hole in floor near skirting board, slow running shower, and room was sooooo cold even though there is a luke warm raditor on.

The steak and chips on the menu was spot on but no puddings as they had ran out so was still hungry.

Now the the worst bit.............................
No one came into my room all week, no clean towels, no replacement of tea/coffee/sugar and no loo roll so went out and got my own as when i went down to mention it the bar was busy with regulars and was a little intimidating.

Its quite noisy from the bar too.

They say they have a 48 hour cancellation policy so be wary as other hotels dont.
Also charge £1 when paying with card regardless of how much you spend.

The main chap was ok, chatty and friendly but i wonuldnt stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Ivor B
lincup, Owner at Dorset Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your disatisfaction, our Hotel rooms, lobby corridor have been up dated to 1st class 4 Star accomadation no exspense spared, work planned and carried out by interior designers , rooms cleaned daily, signed off by qualified cleaning staff and checked daily by my self, we have a policy displayed in each bathroom IMPORTANT GUEST NOTICE Everyday millions of towels are washed in hotels around the world, many unnecessarily. If you would like to be enviromentally friendly please adopt the following procedure: Towels in the shower means: PLEASE CHANGE. Towels left on rail means; I will use again, thank you for your co operation. on checking records our bedding count you had 1 change over, our records are kept on file and sent of to Sunlight Textiles Services, there is a house service directory in each room with list of telephone numbers including house keeping, We have state of the art heating, you turn up t 5 red hot, you turn on to 1 luke warm, all showers are power showers, The Centurain Restaurant has been updated Oak flooring, matching blinds, new bar, decorated to high standards new hand made curtains, we have a extensive menu, most deserts hand made by our chef, we do not run out of deserts,
In the Bar Area we have a African Grey Parrot called Vinny a Boston Terrier called Andy, we have birds of prey in Garden and lots of wild birds, we are now updating our service directory in other languages hopefully so our guests have a better understanding of our Hotel

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Used as an overnight stop when going out in Newcastle. Very easy to drive to with good parking and easy access to town by metro. Very dog friendly. Nice garden area. The hotel is being renovated to a very good standard. The best feature of the hotel is the very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny B
WMaster6564, Manager at Dorset Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thanks for your positive review we lookforward to greeting you in the future,

Thanks and Kind regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2011

My friend and I walked Hadrians Wall from the start to Wallsend and booked ahead. We had walked to Newcastle and couldn't go any further but wanted to honour our reservation rather than book into a hotel in Newcastle. So we took a cab out to the end of the wall, got our picture and walked to the hotel. The staff had no idea who we were, why we were there (even though I had a receipt) and they were fully booked due to a Take That concert (which the manager was at). We sat there for 2 hours waiting for a cab (the only one that they are authorised to use and they did not tell the driver it was urgent!). The staff offered us drinks which we took. They offered us a curry but we wanted to take a nice shower and have some substantial food after our long day. The manager could not be reached. We did not get to the other hotel until 9 p.m. and almost did not get a dinner that night.

The manager called the next day was not apologetic and did not want to compensate us for the cab ride we took so that we could honour our reservation. He was very rude! Does not deserve your custom!

Do not stay here! If you do, take a receipt to prove you have booked! Stay at Whites Hotel instead!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
lincup, Owner at Dorset Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

(19 December 2011)
The review you posted is beyond believe, so vindictive to judge a place that you never stayed in, as you never went passed the public bar.
1, you never fnished the Hadrain Wall walk you took a cab from Newcastle to Wallsend 5 mile short,
2, you had a enquiry form not a booking form when arriving at our Hotel,
3. Our Terms and conditions are on our Website, and you can book via our website which strongly advise, as to avoid mistakes,

To put it in prospective, we had no booking for you, you had a booking enquiry not a valid booking form, from one of the many booking agencys, you had not paid, we had no card details for you, The whole of the North East was booked for the take that concert, You and your freind were offered a meal and given a drink, a Hotel was found for you in Jesmond , taxi ordered for you, a courtsey call was made next morning, to my dismay you wanted the Dorset Arms Hotel to pay £20.00 for your cab not from our hotel to the one we booked for you in Jesmond, but the cab from Newcastle to Wallsend the last remaining 5 mile of Hadrains wall, you took advantage of our hospitality, We do not upgrade from our Hotel as you stated in the review you posted on the Hotel in Jesmond, a facetious remark, We are a freindly small hotel, for a guest who was never booked into our Hotel or stayed in our Hotel, we went over and above what would normaly be excepeted of any hotel owner and his staff

Been to Dorset Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!