“Not impressed”

Sopranos Italian Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Wallsend
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Italian food , sit in or take out service available, family friendly
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I like a cheap and cheerful Italian restaurant but here, I found the service slow to start with, we waited a long time just to get a drink. Our starters were OK and pretty much what I would expect for the money. While we waited for our main course I noticed that the next table asked for some bread with their starter which didn't come, they asked again and were finally told they would have to wait for it a while longer as it was made fresh, so it didn't arrive till they had almost finished. Finally our main course arrived, I had tagliatelle arrabiatta, they didn't bring a spoon or offer any parmesan & black pepper - which is normal in most italian restaurants, so we sat a while trying to catch the attention of a waitress and I did wonder if I was expected to eat tagliatelle with a knife & fork, but in the end had to get up and go and find someone to ask for a spoon. I was about half way through my meal when I chewed a lump of chicken, not a pleasant find when you're a vegetarian! I looked through the sauce to find several slivers of chicken so couldn't finish it. At no point during the meal did anyone come over to ask if everything was OK so when they came to clear our plates I told him about the chicken, he apologised and offered to make another one, but it would have been a bit pointless as I would have had to wait again and my husband had already finished his meal. Then to top it all off, they don't accept card payments - it would have been useful if the waiter had mentioned this when we were given our menus, so my husband had to run along to the cash machine up the road. All in all it was a poor dining experience and I won't be going back. There are plenty cheap italian restaurants in the area which offer better service for the same cheap prices.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Sarah C

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A lovely little local restaurant...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Although I'm very picky where I eat... We've eaten here many times (and regularly take out!) - the service is very quick and the staff very polite. I'm sure if we did have a problem they'd fall over themselves to rectify it.

Expect massive portions at great prices and the best 'proper' chips around.

• Visited October 2012
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“If you have a problem talk to the owner....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have ate at Sopranos many times since the refurbishment. Each time with varying numbers of friends/family members who all enjoyed their meals that were provided at reasonable prices. I can recommend this restaurant.

Having just read the previous 2 reviews I have to wonder why they did not complain at the time to the owner who is normally there and if you are an ex employee do you have an axe to grind with the owner?
If you have a bad experience in any restaurant why not talk to the Owner/Manager of the restaurant and sort the problem? If then writing a review on here why not give more specific details such as date and time of visit so the owner can see who was working and address the problem.
If you are an ex member of staff why not use you real name so people know who you are. Why not contact the 'correct authorities' yourself and make them aware of what you say is going on. If true the restaurant would soon be closed down so you would have helped everyone. Unfortunately, it is too easy on here to make accusations without having to back them up.

• Visited July 2013
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Try somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Like the other reviews on here it seems that you can get the staff on a good or a bad day. I got a bad day, rude and not interested at all. Threw menus on table and then ignored us for twenty minutes with no drinks. When the food came it seemed very low quality and with any lack of skill from the chef.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank mattrobs
jacko1863, Owner at Sopranos Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
hi i'm the manager of the sopranos, i want to say thank you for your comments. i do apologizes for what you have experienced in our restaurant. and i promise i will take this on board and will talk to staff about this. And i will make sure this will not happened again. we hope to see you again!
Many Thanks
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“10 out of 10 yet again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Visited Soprano's last month, and decided to pay another visit, due to my recent Retirement from work with a large group of Friends. Who until then had not even heard of Soprano's I am pleased so say, they were all impressed with the food and service and this Resturant is now down on there list for a visit with friends and family and all mentioned it is good value for the money.
Really impressed when we asked for the bill although the full amount was shown they had even calculated it out for each individual with a lovely happy face slogan.

This Resturant is a little gem in Wallsend,