“Food good surroundings dissapointing”
Review of Woodborough Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodborough
Woodborough Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Woodborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We found this place on Amazon Local and decided to try it. Would have been very disappointed if we had paid the full price. The bar area and dining room desperately need refurbishing, the carpet on the stairs had a large tear, the paintwork was very grubby, doors had dirty hand marks on them, it pertained to be shabby chic, it was definitely shabby without the chic. The dining room did not feel welcoming would have been better if the fireplace was used and a nice fire lit. There was thick dust on the base of the cupboard to the right hand side of the fireplace it all looked as though it could do with a thorough clean, the floor in the dining room was badly chipped and scuffed, the gaps between the floorboards were black and full of dirt.
Now to the food, my husband chose the pigeon breast starter, venison casserole main course and bread and butter pudding all were excellent, I had the game terrine as a starter as did our friends which we found to be tasteless, again I and my friends husband had the venison casserole, my friend had the belly pork which was excellent, (although she had to pay extra for potatoes, you only got red cabbage with the pork) she had the crème brulee for dessert which she enjoyed, unfortunately I can't say the same for my dessert I had the rich chocolate torte which was very bland (not sure were the chocolate was) it was served with raspberry coulis and 3 fresh raspberries but no cream. We also had to pay extra to have vegetables with the game casserole.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank P T
There are newer reviews for Woodborough Hall

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Visited Woodborough Hall for a coffee and chill out with friends, we just popped in and were greeted by a friendly staff member who made us feel very welcome allowed us to relax in the gorgeous bar area. The coffee was the finest quality and very reasonably priced for such an exclusive venue. I particularly loved the fire burning in the entrance which is just what you need on a chilly day! Loved it and will be returning again for an evening meal as the menu looked excellent!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2014

the food the wecome the value was unbeliveable i would recomend the food and the service to anyone, do not miss this treat of a hotel.the service was second to none i will definitely dine there again.

Room Tip: any room will be an excellent choice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Attended for a Wedding and Function on New Year's Eve. Wedding personnel were very good (sorry, don't know their names), friendly and efficient. The Orangerie was nicely presented, if a little white, but that may have been requested by the Bride / Groom.
My main comments are directed towards the fabric of the building, now looking jaded and grubby, with peeling and discoloured paintwork, and scratched and rubbed woodwork in all the public rooms. Worst of all, there was frayed and loose carpet on the stairs, a clear H & S hazard, which I mentioned to a Staff member, who concurred.
The Wedding Breakfast was good, although there was some confusion with the special and vegetarian meals etc.. This could have been alcohol-exaggerated (the guests, not the Staff !!).
The DJ was not good. Not sure if booked by the Hotel or not, but he never read his audience and seemed hell-bent on deafening those of us who were not already deaf. Even when it was pointed out that many of the guests would appreciate 60s / 70s music capable of being danced to, he soon reverted to the 21st century rubbish.
The Bar Staff were young and inexperienced. They looked like rabbits in the headlights, and didn't seem to know what they were serving, or prices. Fortunately, many of the guests lost track after a couple of rounds.
The New Year party toys (over-sized sunglasses, inflatable beach balls and guitars etc.) were tacky. The countdown was early, and the 'clock' chimed 14 !!!!!!
Must be nice in the grounds during the Summer, but in Winter lighting around the hotel could be improved, especially around the isolated Car Park.
A hotel with potential, but needs lots of TLC and Staff Training, please.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bobster2429
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We got married at Woodborough hall on 5th December 2013. It was the most amazing day. The staff at Woodborough hall were fantastic.

I will admit I am a very un-organised person, but Emma, the wedding planner guided me through everything I needed to do running up to my big day, even on the day with a table setting issue (where i had missed some body off a table ahhh) they calmed me down and reassured me not worry, and it just got sorted.

We had the ceremony on a day when there was an amber weather warning, cloudy, wind and a little rain, but the ceremony room was beautiful with light streaming through the ceiling window and it was warm and cosy. The grounds are neat and tidy with lots of mature trees perfect for wedding photos (if there was no gale blowing).

We had canapes and drinks handed out by the staff while the photos were being taken and all of our guests took a seat in the bar room while our reception room was set up. This was great because the day just flowed without any long periods of standing about and the staff were very attentive to making sure that every one was happy, the manager was great, this took an immense amount of pressure off me!

The reception room is beautfull, very large to accomodate big tables of family and friends without feeling like you have squeezed them all in, beautiful ornate decorations that tie in with any colour theme that you may decide. I must admit, i wasn't expecting much from the food as normally mass catering can end up with dry, re heated dinners. This was not the case, it was lovely, hot and fresh and one of the biggest compliments we got of the day was how fantastic dinner was.

After our Wedding Breakfast, coffee and chocolates were served in the next room and this was the perfect timing for some of our day guests to leave and the evening guests arrive, and then it was party time. At midnight we were still going and just did not want the day to end, even my Nan...

I wanted to write a long review because one of the biggest things i have noticed when attending other peoples weddings, is how much the bride has to get involved with the running of the day, i want to let you know that with Woodborough Hall was a seemless very enjoyable event. All of our guests thought it was wonderful and our families are thrilled.

I strongly recommend you visit, you will fall in love with the place, the staffs attentive attitudes and the fantastic food. And it is a very romantic setting, for any men reading, great place for a Valentines meal!

Mr and Mrs Godsell

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lyana G
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I got married at Woodborough Hall in 2012 and have since returned for afternoon tea and also a 3 course dinner on 17th December 2013. Each time I have been the service has been amazing. The staff were attentive and could not do enough for us. Our wedding was perfect, and I wouldn't change a thing. Afternoon tea was delicious, and again the staff were brilliant. Our dinner was a chance to reminisce about our wedding day, and we were not disappointed - the food was great and so was the service. We will definitely be returning on a regular basis.

Room Tip: There are only 5 rooms - all are charming. It is a chance to relax and get away from everything. Tak...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We recently stayed at woodborough hall,on arrival you taken in by this beautiful hotel and surroundings and friendly staff and this is where the love affair ends . We had booked the plum room thinking it was going to be something special and first impressions it was.. Then no remote for TV and no signal but both these problems was rectified in a hour or so. But my main issue was hot water. Me and my wife began to get ready and have a shower before we went out and found there was no hot water, so I went down to reception to mention this and was told oh yes what you need to do is go back upstairs to the room and and run the sink tap for bout 10-15 mins and the water should run hot which my reply to the receptionist was what? Has no one ever complained about this and to which she replied oh yes it's an old boiler well may be get a new one..so after this tech advice I followed these instructions for 20 mins + and guess what no hot water.so cold shower cold shave.. Faulty towers springs to mind !

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Globaltravl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodborough
Cockliffe Country House Hotel
Quorn Country Hotel
Quorn Country Hotel
#10 of 12 in Loughborough
Innkeeper’s Lodge Nottingham, Lowdham

Been to Woodborough Hall? Share your experiences!