Hotel Backpackers & Restaurant
Hotel Ruinas Resort(Huehuetenango)
$50
Hotel Premier(Huehuetenango)
$37
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arrived there on foot and were glad to discover that despite of the cheap price, the location was almost idyllic. The hotel sits on the banks of the Rio Dulce but is just below the big bridge. There's an excellent open air marina style restaurant which serves delightful food. From 19h to aproximately 23h ( or later) customers can participate to the karaoke session which can be heard from the rooms.
The twin room was rather tiny and had no windows but big moskito net like walls. it felt a bit like being in a chicken coop. We had trouble to fall asleep with the noise coming from the trucks crossing the bridge. The basic and clean bathroom was to share with another room.
Breakfast was not included but you could have one at the restaurant for a reasonable price.
The staff was nice but one lady at the front desk was not able to tell us that the boat excursion that we booked with them was starting at 9am and not at 9:30am as it was written on the board. Therefore we missed the visit of the castle :-(

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

At £3 per night (probably close to the cheapest tourist accommodation in the world) the people who complain about te basic facilities (and they are VERY basic) really are being unfair. This is what it claims to be - cheap and cheerful. It just happens to be in a fantastic waterfront location, with truly excellent food at £2-5 per meal and brilliant freshly made and delicious smoothies for £1.50. There's even an old 21 foot sailing boat to rent for £25 a day if you are an experienced sailor! Not many hostels can boast that. The staff were also universally helpful and helpful too. Over and above by a long way what you pay for. The biggest problem was finding a phone on line. It is : 502 7930 5169

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank DanielGoodare
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hotel backpackepers y'all need to get it together
Ok first you loose my reservation
Then you try to overcharge my friend who knows well the conversion rate
I reserved a four person room, nay, I paid for one yet you nonchalantly walked us in to a 10person dorm with One Key!
The accommodations are pretty dismal
Oh yeah, bed sheets, pillows, fans, etc are not included

I have to say that the restaurant has a great view and it's staff are a delight. I highly recommend eating here and not sleeping here however if you must plan it for being only one night, tour the lake in the morning, get your stuff and head to Livingston for a few days. Hotel Backpacker's has a hyped rep but its subpar saved only by the restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Before you decide to sign off on the cheapest hostel in your Lonely Planet guide, shop around. I spent two nights in this dump, and I would advise other travelers to avoid staying here (the restaurant is different).

When I booked into my room, I was told that I need to pay for my sheets and pillows. Really?! Who does that? 30Q is still the cheapest that I've paid for room and board in Guatemala, but you get what you pay for.

Picture a military style bunker for the dorms. There are 18 beds, but only 12 lockers. Do the math.

In addition, the showers and toilets are inside the dorm room, but the hinges don't work on some of the doors. I was glad I was only pissing when I realized the door was halfway open behind me.

The lockers are lackluster. I think there are maybe only a handful that have working hinges that allow you to lock your valuables. My friend wasn't so lucky. A thief was able to slip off her lock and took her laptop, iPod and nearly $100 USD.

If you do sleep here, be prepared to stay up until at least 1 a.m. if you're a light sleeper. The bar plays music at loud volume levels until that time. The dorm room is probably 100 feet away, but I can still hear everything from my bed. You can also hear any conversation from the privates connected to the dorm.

As for the beds, I've stayed in hostels that had just as uncomfortable mattresses as this hostel; however, they at least made an effort to clean the beds and make sure they're in good condition. When I arrived, I tried to find the mattress that had the least holes and were the least covered in bugs or dirt or whatever ... I don't think I saw a single cleaning person in the dorms in the entire 48 hours I've been here.

Another cleaning problem was with the restaurant portion (my only negative complaint about the restaurant). I know that brown stain that ended up on my shoe after I used the restroom wasn't dirt. I was pretty grossed out having to wipe my shoe off on the floor before finishing the job with a wet paper towel.

Finally, the place nickels and dimes you for just about everything. Water refills cost Q3 for bottles, Q8 for 1.5 liters. Small coffees cost Q5. Breakfast starts at Q25. It was decent, but it's not anything spectacular. There are street food vendors who sell better quality food for cheaper.

I will say that the wi-fi (best I've had in Central America) and view is amazing at this hostel. But you don't need to stay here to enjoy that. Just eat lunch or come to do your work during the day. Find another hostel to stay at in Rio Dulce.

Room Tip: I agree with what someone else posted. Just stay at a different hostel. You've been warned.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2012

i have heard it suggested that this place would benefit from the attentions of a cleaner, a carpenter and a painter; personally, i would suggest an arsonist.
the bunkhouse in which i spent two miserable nights is not adequately screened so insect life proliferates within and i don't think anybody has made a serious effort to clean it since it was constructed. there is a row of cupboards along one wall but the absence of hinges, padlock attachments and, in some cases doors, makes them quite redundant as lockers. toilets and shower cubicles occupy another wall. aside from flimsy, ill-fitting doors nothing separates the goings-on within from the dormitory without; it is neither pleasant nor necessary to become intimately acquainted with the state of health of one's roommate's digestive systems and the contents of the toilet paper receptacles, unemptied during my stay, adds a certain perfume to the air. the mattresses were sub-standard, and, the icing on the cake, one has to pay extra for sheets and a pillow!
bicycle parking is off site in a separate compound further along the road, nowhere undercover to lock it securely but there a was a watchy-man.
breakfast in the restaurant was quite edible though the coffee left a lot to be desired and the view from the dock is good. watch out for the bat falcons that frequent the bridge.

Room Tip: choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo