“Good food, good fun, great music”

Outport Museum and Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in La Scie
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed July 10, 2012

A very special Newfoundland experience in this very good and very small cozy restaurant and associated local museum. Enjoy good local cooking with local humour and local music. Hope you are lucky enough to get an invite into the parlour. Valerie is a very special cook/hostess who along with her husband Larry form part of the group Codskiff (check YouTube). What incredibly nice and fun people they are. After 2 nights we felt we had met a number of very special people and that's Newfoundland!!

3  Thank GandJP

Reviewed January 23, 2012

The food is so fresh and the hostess, Valerie, serves the best home-cooked Newfoundland meals right in the dining room attached to a very interesting museum in La Scie. Fish cakes, Jigg's Dinner, Pea Soup and Dumplings - the cakes and pies and treats are so wonderful. The museum is 2 stories and has memorabilia from the French Shore, the mining communities, the Henandaia - a Basque fishing boat replica right in the front garden, and much more to see - even wonderful kitchen parties right in the kitchen of the museum!

3  Thank Celeste C
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stopped here for a cup of tea and ended up also having a slice of the best chocolate cake I've ever had in my 54 years of life. Although I did not eat a meal here (I'd already had my dinner), I heard from several others that the food is as good as the chocolate cake was. Valerie also helped me find a wonderful room for the night at a local B+B.

La Scie is an outport community of Newfoundland and the Outport Museum and Tea Room is one of the highlights. It is run by a wonderful couple who epitomize Newfoundland hospitality.

4  Thank Monique S