“Great seafood but poor service”
Review of Takis To Limeni

Takis To Limeni
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Limeni
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the heart of the seaside village of Limeni in Mani, the famous fish tavern "Takis" offers its exceptional seafood delicacies since 1986, combined with the ultimate location and view. With the eyes filled up by the deep blue, the sound of the sea breaking the silence and the tastes stealing the show. Fresh fish, shrimp, squid and the famous spaghetti (with shrimps or lobster), cooked with the "secret" recipe of Takis have established the tavern "Takis" among the most famous destinations of Peloponnese, visited every year by people from all around the world!
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The restaurant is beautifully situated on the water with great views into the bay. We ate their twice for lunch and dinner - a salad the first time and then calamari. It was clear despite our poorly attempted greek they didn't really want tourists in the restaurant, something we should have picked up the first time - we assumed they were busy and harried. Its a shame as the food is great but service is very poor. We even missed out on the melon at the end as they couldn't wait to get rid of us. Something not lost on us as we saw every other take didn't! The low point of our stay in Limeni.

There are newer reviews for Takis To Limeni

Reviewed August 17, 2013

First time i visited Takis was 10 years ago, and since then i've been going back for its amazing location by the sea and quality of food (hence the 5 stars to each category). Nevertheless, i agree with other reviewers' comments that the service ranges from bad to average (unless one knows the owner?). As for prices, they are not extravagant compared to other similar establishments, but they could be lower for a tavern in a lesser-known, less touristic area of Greece (even though one must admit that Limeni has evolved tremendously during the past decade). Last time we visited during the busy days of August, and service was worse than ever; however the setting during the sunset, and the food proved once more fantastic...

Reviewed August 5, 2013

It would be a shame to visit Taki's place to eat shrimps, squid and other seafood, when fresh fishes are the reason this place is so famous.
I don't like fish, but I enjoyed a large grilled one, and was really good.
Takis as a person might be a bit odd, but he knows his business.
View from the restaurant, is the second reason to visit it. Majestic sunset.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Although the location is beautiful and the food was nice, the owners/waiters seemed to be irrelevant to the business they run. Very bad service!!!

Go to enjoy the food and beautiful location, but try to ignore the person that waits, the length of time it takes to serve the food, the fact that the drinks come a long time after the food, and that the waiters practically throws the plates on the table.

The area of Mani is beautiful and stunning, it is not nice for some people to ruin its reputation...

1  Thank Marion E
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Comments and reviews about this popular tavern in Limeni are written in Guidebooks, in Newspapers and Magazines and during our short stay in the area I had the opportunity to chat a lot with tourists I came across who would speak highly about it. Of course I had already found out that Takis tavern is the most popular Seafood tavern in the area but I had no idea that it was that popular.

Located in the heart of the seaside village of Limeni the tavern is upon the edge of the turquoise waters of the bay.

BOOKING A TABLE: The way I booked our own table is rather unusual. You see, I was swimming that morning in the crystal waters as I was staying at the hotel next door –Pirgos Mavromichali, and I approached the man who was fishing, out at the terrace of the restaurant. It was Sotiris and smiling and in jest he told me that he was catching the fish of the day for the staff. I asked if Takis was there, but he was out from dawn to buy fish from the fishing market. I reserved our table right from the water and I continued swimming.

We showed up at 2:00 pm because I could not resist getting out of the crystal waters earlier.
Literally speaking the restaurant pulls the fish out of the sea and grills them up!

I had the opportunity to meet the owner and we shared one or two ‘tsipouro’ the three of us. He was telling us that he has been out here the last 27 years!! Counting the years only, proves that Takis is a Steady Value.

The entire place smells fresh grilled fish and octopus. It is so tempting. We choose a table next to the edge of the terrace, and a boy quite close to us is washing and preparing the fresh fish right in front of the customers’ eyes! A few meters further another guy is supervising the grilled octopus. In fact we had a treat from the owner of this octopus to accompany our ‘tsipouro’. *Tsipouro is a Greek spirit similar to Ouzo.

The experience here is unforgettable. It is a combination of taste, smell, color and feelings.
Even if you don’t come to eat here, Takis tavern has something magic that attracts the attention. The picture I got as I was looking at it from the terrace of the hotel was as if I were in Mykonos. Probably it is the setting, the colors, the building itself that it calls you out to visit.
The pricelist was more than reasonable and compared to the service, the quality and taste, the location and the whole package, I consider it a bargain.

THE MENU: Our Starters were a Tomato Salad dish in olive virgin oil with a few green olives on the side (tomatoes were peeled) for €4.00. The other salad was a big platter of Boiled Vegetables. They were crunchy and boiled to perfection. - €9.00.

We tried the local white wine of the restaurant which was great. Half a kilo cost us €3.00. ‘Tsipouro’ karafaki costs €7.00, and if somebody asks for beer the cost is €2.50.

Watching the boy peeling and washing the fresh fish next to us we could not resist and we ordered 4 pieces (350 gms) of red mullet. It was SO FRESH, so tasty, and perfect. €15.00.
We had one grilled fish –fagri for €25. It was about ¼ of a kilo. (A kilo costs €50.00). Grilled right in front of us on the embers and served drizzled with virgin olive oil and lemon. Besides the freshness of the fish, the expertise cooking plays a significant role out here!

I did not want to leave without tasting the special dish here, the secret recipe of the restaurant which is pasta and lobster ‘astakomakaronada’. We decided to share the dish with my husband. I was already full and knew that I would skip dinner that evening. Cooked Al dente, it was nicely presented and colorful… simply heavenly! The lobster was juicy and so fresh!

HAVE IN MIND: Everything here is simple but exceedingly tasty!
Don’t forget to have your camera along, dress as you feel like…depending on the hour. You can come in your bathing beach-dress or in a smart afternoon skirt and T-shirt.
Service is impeccable in every way thanks to Sotiri and the rest of the guys and ladies in the kitchen.
Taki the owner is an excellent host but he is not in the kitchen. He is present and in full control of what is taking place in the restaurant.
Judging from what we had, we found prices reasonable contrary to what some people claim.