“Time-out Tranquility”

Gunung Paradise Retreat
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had the fortunate experience of staying here, as my first visit to Bali. I had the delight of getting this at a discount via one of the booking sites on the internet, after I had done a few searches on Bali and accommodation options. I had deliberately chosen to be away from the tourists and crowds Bali is renowned for in it's key areas. I arrived after 3 hours travelling from airport, exhausted, and was greeted with a smiling face and, a very welcome, welcome ice cold towel and refreshments, besides a necklace of frangipanis.
The villa was spacious in terms of it bathroom, as well as outside areas, which for me where the most important parts of the villa, and it had a private pool, that allowed for sunbathing on either sides, with a private spa treatment outside room off to the side of the pool.
I even had my own private butler, so felt like royalty. Nothing was too much for them to do, even organising and going to purchase the soft drink I liked consuming but which they didn't initially have.
Although this villa, being one of the first ones built, is close to the entrance, one never felt disturbed. This villa does lack the privacy of the newer designed villas, however felt private enough for me. The guard dog, also being very friendly, and sociable.
I never used the aircon, since it wasn't hot enough for me to consider using, nor did I use the TVC and DVD player. The villa was well maintained, and cleaned immaculately. The decor is slightly dated, however still perfectly acceptable, from my perspective.
One tip, is to use their spa/massage contacts, since it was one of the best massages I had had in quite awhile. Also they took me to various local areas to see areas that interested me. My best was driving in the mountain paths smelling the cloves that heavily fragranced the air whilst drying.
The food was great in terms of breakfast choices, i always had nasi goreng, since i believe your best food choices are what the locals eat, and I truly loved the Indonesian dishes I chose for dinner.
Overall, I would recommend this, if you are looking for a spot away from the crowds, and into the true Bali. It's great for families, due to the size of the villas and you are close to Lovina and Menjangan, if requiring beach, snorkelling or diving. If you are looking for restaurants, entertainment and people, then this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Angela B

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Should you like the bustle of Kuta area, Royal Residence Rangdu will be a great disappointment.
But…if you like the unspoilt beauty and peace of the northern part of Bali you should certainly go to Royal Residence Rangdu.
RRR is under Dutch management and the management and local staff really understand the requirements of demanding guests who are looking for a beautiful and restful stay, with at one hand all the services within reach and on the other hand people who don’t like to stay in a hotel with all the lack of privacy.
We stayed for 6 weeks in Villa Wana, one of the villa’s which can be rent. We choose for Wana because of the space and the view over the hills and the beautiful scenery. Having said so, this applies for all the villa’s. The privacy and the comfort is guaranteed at all the villa’s on this property.
Villa Wana however is built on a plot where a lot of attention is paid to maintain the original habitat with a lot of beautiful old mango trees which keep the hot sun away. However if you like the sun there a places on the 3.000m2 plot where you can enjoy it.
The villa inside is sober furnished, but with everything you need for a pleasant stay.
The outside terrace/verandah is very huge and you can sit wherever you want, without disturbing your other companion.
On a lower level you will find the beautiful swimming pool with –believe it or not- nice, cool and very clean water without the fragrance of the usual chlorine. Enjoy the sunny terrace and hide yourself under one of the mango trees if you want.
Last but not least: You will enjoy the fantastic service of a private butler. Widi was the butler who took care of our wellbeing and Villa. He always was around without being there prominently. Should you want to make trips, Widi is very happy to take you wherever you want, either with a simple jeep or a big MPV car at indeed very reasonable prices.
We had a full board service. We strongly advise you to consider this, because the next restaurants are in Lovina area which is about 45 minutes away from RRR. Don’t worry about the menu of RRR. They offer a great variety of both lunch and dinner dishes, which are prepared in a central kitchen and is served up in your private villa and you will love the good quality of this kitchen.
We hope to be able to be back in near future.
Peter and Tjeerd - Holland

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were booked for 6 days for new year get away, love the view and the villa, seems everything going well until the second day our money was stolen, Thief was picked up just the money from our bag, not the other stuff, we saw when person went out from our room villa( just see the back of the person/thief) and left the room with the door open, we were thought was the staff or housekeeping, but kind of weird- he just walked fast and half run. till we checked our bag then found, my money were stolen-we reported to management there and they reported to police. Management not really help and at the end we had to pay one of Police officer with the last money in my wallet( for transport fee & investigation) was horrible get away and holiday for us then we decided left the day after we got rob. Why we have to continue if we not feel secure.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nura_12
BaliRRR, General Manager at Gunung Paradise Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

As management of Royal Residence Rangdu we are very concerned with the welfare and the safety of our guests and their goods. It is therefore that we always advise to keep valuables in the safety deposit boxes and drawers we have in each villa and that we operate 7x24 security. It was therefore a shocking event for management and our staff, that money seems to be stolen from one of our villas. It never happened before that anything of guest belongings was missing since we started renting out in 2007. After the incident was reported we did the utmost in trying to solve the issue (except compensate the guest for the loss). We started an investigation to find out if any stranger could have entered the guarded compound unnoticed, we checked the alibis of our staff and when this did not unveil any irregularity we invited the Police from Seririt to make an official report. They took it very serious and arrived within 30 min with 6 people from different departments. But the police interview went not as smooth as we hoped because they were not convinced the event really happened. Main reason was that the victim could not explain to satisfaction, where he had the envelope with money from that was carried/put in a travel bag on the floor.
The incident taught us that we had to sharpen the security measurements and advice to our guest to even never leave the villas unlocked when there is nobody there. Secondly our front gate will be permanently closed. Also our staff will be more alert if they see somebody they are unfamiliar with on the 2 ha compound of Royal Residence Rangdu.
The friend whose money was stolen wanted to leave immediately and this review is from his hand. All we did and our sincere apologies for the incident could not change his mind. An invitation to explain why he thinks management response was not accurate remained unanswered. The guest however who booked the villa was of course disappointed about the incident and the consequences, but still gave us a splendid review on agoda.com (mr. Jonathan from USA), because the incident did not hamper the quality of our facilities and services.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We booked for 3 nights but ended up 7. We could not leave this beautiful place. The villa, garden, swimmingpool, location, staff, food were amazing. We really felt at home. We stayed at several places on Bali but consider the area around Royal Residence Rangdu the most beautiful and authentic. Once again Jack, Agus, Rio and the rest of the staff thank you for an unforgettable and wonderful experience. We could write for hours but there are no words to describe how fantastic Royal Residence Rangdu is.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank robhan
BaliRRR, General Manager at Gunung Paradise Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

We are so thankful for your comment because it is exactly what we try to achieve for our guests "to make it hard for them to leave". And we look forward to see you here again as you promised.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Guided by good friends I found this hidden gem high on a mountain top surrounded by green jungles and a fantastic atmosphere.

The service was exquisite and the houses luxurious beyond belief and when you combine it with the VERY reasonable balinese prices this stay was an experience of a life time.

I can very warmly recommend Royal Residence Rangdu and I wish you a very good trip :)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank uffe1010
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I started my journey in the South of Bali but found it way to busy. My goal was to to relax, reload and enjoy the nature. I decided to find a quiet place and I finally found what I had been looking for.
Not far from Lovina, a 15-20 minutes drive up in the mountains - I found IT!
It was a resort with 6 different, private and beautyful villas – all with an amazing view! The resort is full of magnolia trees and just stunning – like a garden of paradise. There are also lots of mango-, coconut- and papaya trees, and the fruits are used for the most wonderful juices for breakfast or whenever.
The staff was very helpfull, smiling and spoke good English, which was a great experience, after lots of difficult situations ealier on my journey. Even the drivers were great, since they drove carefully, spoke English and always up for sharing a good story.
Both the villa and the private pool were absolutely clean and just wonderful. I could choose to have a private butler, and a driver when needed.
All I could ever ask for was already there. Even a fully equipped kitchen, books, terrace, sun beds and when ever I needed something - I just called the ”butler”. They prepared all food in a kitchen close to the villas, and had a great local menu - from which I could choose, when I wanted.
I found that two friends from the States also were in Bali and invited them to stay in ”my” Villa for 4-5 days, and together we were enjoying the most beautiful quiet surroundings, while exploring when and what ever we felt like in Bali.
It have already been to long since my last stay and I will be back soon for sure! Thanks to Jack and Marijke for an amazing stay and lots of great memories : )

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank misswissendorf
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had stayed in North Bali before, but this time we needed accommodation for a week that would suit a group of people in ages ranging from 8 to 80, so it needed to have facilities for all age groups. Not easy to find! This place was recommended to us by friends who had been here last year and it was everything they told us it would be - and a bit more. The villa we rented had a spectacular view of the mountains and the sea, a large garden shaded by mango trees with swimming pool and a children's pool, and very clean and spacious bedrooms and bathrooms. The food was good and varied; the "rijsttafel" on Saturday was really excellent. A butler is available full-time if you want. Our butler did pretty much everything for us: he served our food, took us hiking in the rice fields, made our beds, played with the kids, and took us to Lovina. We all felt very pampered and had a fantastic vacation. The peace and tranquility of the place and the warmth of the people who work here will certainly bring us back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Frederique D

Been to Gunung Paradise Retreat? Share your experiences!