“Could do better”

Hotel Albert 1er
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Albertville
“Could do better”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed here as part of a biking trip around Europe. Got to the hotel in the afternoon to find it locked and no staff on the desk. I wondered into the bar to find a barmaid doubling up as the receptionist. She said I had to pay up front and wanted to charge me €69 despite pre booking and paying 50! Eventually I won! She was polite and friendly but couldn't give me any local info, bars, good places to go! Anyway I got my room which was fairly large. However the bathroom and toilet was filthy! Mould in the bath, human hair all over the basin and floor! Urgh! If they spent 5 minutes tidying then it would be fine! The owners are clearly more interested in getting the locals filled with booze!

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We arrived late afternoon on a Sunday. The hotel door was locked as mentioned in the review above.
Eventually we found the manager who stunk of booze.
He wanted full payment up-front, but refused to actually show us the room!
Needless to say we left him to it.

What a shabby excuse for a hotel- don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2011

Travelers are raving about these Albertville hotels

Tunbridge Wells,Kent
Reviewed May 12, 2007

I booked 5 rooms here and left my credit card details as deposit. The day before travelling I received email confirming that the booking had been cancelled by the hotel and they had taken a 30% deposit. Very confused I contacted them to find that they had cancelled my 5 rooms and kept 2 rooms that my sister had cancelled.
Unable to understand their mistake, they decided to feign "no understand english".
£100 cost with no rooms -- I was not happy!

• Stayed April 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank paulsig
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2004

Unknowingly, I violated my cardinal rule when booking here for July 2004: never book a hotel near the train station. Unfortunately it wasn't clear from the web site when we booked that this hotel was right next to the train station. Even in a town as small as Albertville, the train station area is a bit seedier than the rest of town.

This hotel was awarded 3 stars by the French government at last inspection five years ago (1999). Clearly no maintenance has been done since. The rooms were conceived to be upscale (exposed beams, spacious bathroom), but there are signs of wear everywhere. The walls and lampshades are waterstained, the carpets are stained, and dust has been collecting on the wallpaper, especially in the corners, for years. The maid service is terrible, which probably explains all of the above. When we arrived at 3:30 p.m., we were given a key to a room which we discovered hadn't yet been cleaned -- so we had to turn around and leave the hotel until it was ready. The maid didn't bother to vacuum and left the clean towels in a pile on the bed rather than hanging them in the bathroom. The next day, she didn't clean our room at all -- our bed was unmade, the carpet was still unvacuumed, and our dirty towels were on the bathroom floor when we returned after 12 hours out of the room. While our room was large, with an extra bed in a loft, it was on the top floor (fourth floor) and incredibly hot. We had only a small window and an ineffective fan, which didn't cool the room, even at night. It was nearly impossible to sleep with the window open, since bikers roared past all night to the bars in the neighborhood and the trucks began very early in the morning. The hotel's restaurant was frequented by unsavory types. Reception was unstaffed all day, and the hotel door was kept locked 24/7 -- so to check in, we had to go into the restaurant, ask around, and wait until someone was available to help us. All of the people we finally managed to find for reception spoke only French (at least, they won't admit to English or German), so communication could be very difficult for non-French speakers. There's no elevator, so rooms on the top floor are quite a climb. Breakfast was as basic as it gets -- a croissant, a piece of bread, and coffee, without even a plate on the table. All in all, we were very unhappy with our stay in this hotel, and wouldn't recommend it.

19 Thank OffTheBeatenPath
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albertville
Les 4 Vallees
#3 of 3 in Albertville
Hotel Le Savoie
Hotel Le Savoie
#3 of 8 in Albertville

Been to Hotel Albert 1er? Share your experiences!