“STOP AND SMELL THE FOOD”

Crossroads Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Rosseau
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I were visiting our kids up in Parry sound and on the way hometo Hamilton we decided to take some back roads to look at the scenery.
We had been through this area in Muskoka many times but had never stopped for lunch.
We stopped in Rosseau for a break and look around the few quaint stores that are there.

The Crossroads Restaurant because we had stopped in a one room saloon for a drink.
Now it has been transformed into a beautiful restaurant with an outside patio overlooking a nice scenery. It wasone of the very hot days that we had at that time and the server girl said that we might prefer a window seat in the nice air conditioned room.

We ordered a local beer while we were waiting for our lunch.
I ordered the trout with vegetables and my wife had the spring rolls with a salad.
My meal was probably as good a meal that I have ever had in a restaurant and my wife also was happy with her selection. The presentation of the Trout sitting on top of some amazing tasting new potatoes, asparagus and carrots was fabulous.

We are heading up to Huntsville / Algonquin Park in September and we plan to drive to the Crossroads Restaurant for lunch on our Anniversary.

Try this place if you are close to the area. You will be glad that you did.

1  Thank johntheman154990
There are newer reviews for Crossroads Restaurant

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Their $45 specials include soup, dinner, dessert. Nice casual place with excellent food and service. Much better than the Marriott, but a difficult 20 minute drive at night.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Outstanding food - unique fusion of local and international, exquisitely presented. We've both made a reservation for dinner in the summer and strolled in from the snowmobile trails in the winter, and have never been disappointed. On one occasion though, our dinner party of eight (with reservation) was seated for 15 minutes without so much as a glass of water. Server was overwhelmed and took care of smaller tables that arrived long after we did, and by the time our food arrived, we were seriously considering stealing from other diners ;-) Disappointment was quickly forgotten though, as we took our first bite of coconut shrimp!

1  Thank jenfromtoronto
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I ate lunch here recently on a rainy afternoon. We sat on the screened deck overlooking lake Rosseau, which was lovely. Service from Manuela was impeccable and friendly.
I had a wonderful Montreal smoked meat sandwich; while my wife had a cold soup of crab and asparagus. Excellent baguettes! We don't get to the Muskokas often, but we would gladly return to Crossroads.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Beautiful setting and great views of Lake Rosseau but I am sorry to say that I have to agree with some of the previous posters. Service was definitely lacking. We made dinner reservations in advance which is a must since the restaurant is very busy. We arrived for our reservation and we were quickly escorted to our table (so far so good) but once we were seated it began to go downhill. The table was still loaded with dinner plates/glasses from the previous diners.- no big deal as we are laid back people. The waitress took our drink order - they eventually cleaned the table - our bottle of white wine/beer was delivered quickly but I found it odd that no ice bucket/wine cooler was included especially since it was a warm/humid day. We asked the waitress for an ice bucket which she brought asap:) For apps we ordered - Muskoka Salads and PEI Steamed Mussels and for our mains we ordered the Nova Scotia Scallops and Georgian Bay Pickerel. Salads were tasty and the mussels were fresh but bland. The apps took forever - they took so long that we finished the bottle of wine and ordered another - no biggie since this was our vacation and we weren't in a rush. Second bottle of wine arrived and we sat at our table with our finished appetizer plates for a at least a half hour. It was kinda disappointing to be sipping on a fine glass of wine with picturesque views and a table with dirty plates (I could do this at the cottage). Now we are on to our second bottle of wine and we are anxiously waiting for our main course. We sat there waiting patiently for our main course and watched as new diners were also being seated at tables with dirty plates - it really was bizarre. Suggestion - offer your guests a drink at the main bar before seating them if the tables still haven't been cleaned. The main course took even longer to be served than the apps - at one point my BF asked how much longer for our meals and we were told they were coming immediately which they didn't so at this point my BF commented to the waitress that if our meals are sitting under the heat lamps that they better prepare fresh ones - another 20 minutes went by and our dinners finally arrived. Our main course was fabulous but at this point we lost our appetites since the alcohol had filled our bellies - we had a few bites and had our dinners packaged to go.

I want to say that this was an off night but after reading the previous reviews this doesn't seem to be the case. We had conversations with the tables around us (how could you not when everyone was waiting forever for their meals) and we were all disappointed. They complained about the dirty tables and their dinners being dry and cold (good thing we made a comment about our dinners being under the heat-lamps otherwise we may have also been disappointed with our dinners). Crossroads definitely needs more wait-staff. Our waitress was nice but she was definitely overloaded with tables and she was constantly rushing - the patrons around us (us included) felt that the conversations with her came off at times as short/abrupt but I guess if I had all those tables to serve/clean I would be overwhelmed too. They should hire a "bus-boy" to clean the tables and the owner (very personable by the way) should focus more at the front of the house as opposed to serving tables (we are grateful though that she was serving tables) - with a couple of extra wait-staff Crossroads could be fabulous! Let the wait-staff do what they do best - good service and schmoozing clients.

Crossroads has the potential to be an A-list restaurant if they can only find the right rhythm. We will give them another try in a few weeks since the setting is so beautiful and our main courses were really very tasty even when we ate them a day later. Hopefully they read these reviews as I really want to give them a five star rating on our next visit as these kinks can easily be fixed.

4  Thank DreamingOfBeaches_10