“A Local Jewel”

The Prince of Wales
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We have a detached freehouse set in the stunning and varied 400 acre Ham Hill Country Park. We are independent and relish the freedom this gives us to buy from where we choose to hopefully give you tasty food and local beers and ciders.We have plenty of outside seating, as well as a bar, restaurant and function room. When you've walked around the hill you want good wholesome food which is what we produce in our own kitchen, if in doubt try our Water Buffalo Burgers (the animals are in a nearby village!) We have our own dogs and children, so all behaved ones are welcome, and we are used to muddy boots! The Prince of Wales has also just been granted a licence to hold civil ceremonies etc which was partly in response to locals and regulars wishing to get married up here as it is a special place for so many. The Chapel Room is a lovely room to be married in, come and see it when you are here. In the Summer we often have live bands on a Sunday afternoon in Amy's Garden which has its own outside bar and covered, powered stage. It can also take a big marquee for those special celebrations. A few summers ago we added a wood fired pizza oven to the barbeque offering and this is proving very popular, people love to watch them being made and cooked within minutes - yummy. We have now upped our green credentials with a biomass boiler for our heating and hot water that is fuelled by wood pellets. There's lots more I could tell you about but why not come and visit us on top of Ham Hill, and if you don't feel like chatting then come and stare at the great views, we haven't tired of them yet and we've been here nearly 10 years!
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Coming from the U.S., while visiting friends, I had the chance to enjoy this charming pub. The scenic location, the ambience, along with the friendliness of the owners & locals, I enjoyed my time there immensely. There is also a rich history to Ham Hill, but I'll let the owners share that story with you!

Prince0fWales, Owner at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you for your kind words and we are glad you found our little corner of the country. I hope the rest of your travels were equally successful and that you visit us again.

There are newer reviews for The Prince of Wales

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Hunted this place down just for lunch today, having travelled from the Dorset Coast. I must say that it was worth the journey! We managed to get a table at the front in the shade and overlooking the valley - what a stunning view! The local cider went down well, followed by a burger each. I had a chilli burger that had a mix of beef, chilli and blue cheese in it. It was of beautiful quality and not al all greasy. My friend had a buffalo burger, and as he wasn't at the bar to place the order he didn't get a choice when it came to extras for it.....by the time it had extra bacon cheese & mushrooms on it, it came out looking like a Scooby snack! but he woofed the lot. Yep the chips were lovely as everyone says, especially with a garlic dip. Highly recommended. The ice cream cone for dessert was a nice treat, lots of lovely flavours to choose from. The coffee was chosen for me and the blend for the cappuccino was a lovely taste with a good head of froth. The whole experience was very enjoyable & I shall be returning. the few dogs which accompanied other customers on site were all well behaved & im not a great dog lover myself. They didn't spoil my enjoyment one bit, so pleased don't be put off, the view and the food are well worth a journey for.

Prince0fWales, Owner at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you so much, what a lovely review both the content and how it was written. So glad that the journey was worth it and that we lived up to our reputation. We are so lucky where we are situated, hopefully what we do enhances the experience of those that visit this beautiful area.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I took my grown-up son here last week for a late lunch and a pint. The choice of the lunchtime menu was good and not expensive. I had the jacket potato with choice of 3 delicious fillings and it came with a really tasty salad accompaniment. We sat in the back grassy garden as all the front tables were full, but we didn't mind as it's nice in the garden too. The staff were very welcoming, friendly, and we didn't have to wait too long for our food. Although I am not a dog owner (at the moment!) I do like the fact that this place is dog friendly, afterall, Ham Hill is a dogs paradise!

Dogs would certainly agree that it is a dog's paradise but hopefully it is also a paradise for all the walkers, cyclists and those just wanting to get out into the fresh air and have some good food and drink. Really glad you had a lovely visit from your review it sounded like you had a relaxing and enjoyable time.

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Nice pub in great surroundings. Food was good and well priced. Lots of outside seating to take advantage of on the sunnier days.

Would happily head back there again

1  Thank Richard T
Prince0fWales, Owner at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Thank you Richard, brief review but you said it all! Thank you

Reviewed June 11, 2014

No, don't be put off, they don't serve dogs with the chips! It's just that this is a favourite pub for dog walkers and happens to serve the best chips I've ever had. I could happily sit down to a meal of just a huge bowl of 'em! However, there is more than just chips to get your gastric juices flowing and the chocolate pudding that my wife and I shared was both delicious and colossal - only for the very brave on a solo venture. The scenery around is as good as it gets too with an amazing number of paths for walkers. Rather think I shouldn't be telling you all this as it might just get too crowded!

Prince0fWales, Owner at The Prince of Wales, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Thanks for the review! and if anyone is worrying about bowls of chips and huge choccy puds they can all go on one of the many wonderful walks in the area you mention - guilt free food then! Our chips are very popular, so can you imagine the uproar, and quite rightly so, from some of our regulars when our supplier gave us inferior chips - not a popular supplier that day. We are now back on track. Thanks again for a very enthusiastic review, and hopefully see you again soon amongst the hills and woods of this beautiful area.