“Accommodation fine, pub poor.”

Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
Bristol
“Accommodation fine, pub poor.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was booked in here by my company for a work trip. I already know and like Premier Inns for their good value, clean accommodation with friendly staff. This place was no exception as far as the inn / lodge bit was concerned. Everything was as expected, complete with cheerful and helpful staff. It seems the rooms on the top floor can be a little chilly overnight but when I mentioned this to reception an additional electric heater was provided.

I didn't used the attached pub for breakfast, (am on a diet), but I did use it to meet colleagues in the evening. The staff there are a different story. Slow moving, glum and keener to talk among themselves and give priority service to their pet locals than to serve visitors. Plus they serve lager in the 'continental way' - i.e. with too much froth. Or is that a Birmingham thing?

The grotty pub, it's staff and (some of it's drunken regular) customers was enough to make me think twice about staying here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor in winter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manny S, Manager at Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time out to review your stay with us here at Solihull Shirley Premier Inn. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff to be cheerful and helpful and that this is the standard that you expect from Premier Inns.

The attached pub is not a Whitbread owned restaurant but we do endeavour to listen to all feedback from our guests and communicate it to the management team next door.

There are a number of Premier Inn hotels located in and around the Solihull/Shirley area, should you want to stay at another hotel. I do hope however, that this experience has not affected your choice to stay with us again. Our hotel is situated in a central location and does have many other eating establishments within a close proximity.

Thanks again for taking the time to review your stay with us.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The rooms was ok, small for a family of 4.5. The room was clean warm when we arrived but was drafty & corridors were a little smelly. The entrance to the Premier Inn at the back was quiet dirty and the carpet could do with a good clean! The Breakfast was probably the worst thing I have eaten... Bone in the sausage, bacon like cardboard, mushrooms were not even cooked. I found the bar staff to be a bit rude or at least when there were any around....and the restaurant toilets very poor

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

PI are often let down by their staff, the last one I reviewed in Hall Green was a case in point, it was a great hotel let down by poor staff service. The same is not true of this PI.

The hotel itself is ok, it has been refurbished and the rooms are good, not as good as some more recently modernised but ok. The reception staff are however brilliant, I stopped last Wednesday and the friendliest person ever was working.

Hotel stay was fine made all the better by the staff. PI should take note.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manny S, Manager at Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give my Premier Inn feedback and review. I am glad you had such a pleasant stay and experience with ourselves. At Premier Inn we really do strive to recruit the most friendly and helpful team and I'm glad to hear that during your stay here you have found this the case.

We have also signed off plans to resurface the car park that will make your stay with us that little bit better.

Thanks again for taking your time to respond.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've never stayed in this PI before and have to say the staff were great from check in to check out.
The location of the hotel seems strange to me and there is quite a bit of passing traffic as its situated along a major road. There was plenty of parking, it's pay & display but PI customers don't have to pay. The lady on reception was happy and it wasn't a forced happy. She was polite and informative to myself and my colleague about the hotel and breakfast times.
Breakfast was actually pretty good, which if you read my regular reviews will know PI not the best at this. The lady taking the order was polite and friendly, the buffet was laid out nice and tidy and plenty of supplies, unlike other PI's.
I did have an issue with the idiot in the room next door who decided to bring half of Solihull back to his room and make emense noise. One quick visit to reception and it was dealt with, all fell quiet.. Lovely!! Thanks to the guy on reception that evening, you saved me being on a murder charge.
This is a great place to stay, warm welcome and clean rooms seem guaranteed. I would stay here again, the only thing that puts me of is the traffic.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mimmy23
Manny S, Manager at Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Mimmy23,

Thank you for taking the time out to give my Premier Inn feedback and review. I am happy to hear your experience with the team was very good and also the breakfast the following morning. I do have to apologise for the inconvenience of the guest next-door making noise, I’m happy the team member dealt with the issue straight away. It is a busy road so I would like apologise for any inconvenience you may have had.

The team and myself look forward to seeing you again in the near future take care from the whole of my team.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have never reviewed a budget chain before, as they are normally the same wherever you go. The basic product at Premier Inn room, breakfast, wifi is all of decent standard. There was work being undertaken here and the location is very average but the difference here was that the staff were excellent. Friendly, helpful and just appeared to enjoy their work and want you to enjoy your trip. Perhaps i was just lucky or Premier Inn have decided to place greater emphasis on customer service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gipsona1
Manny S, Manager at Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Gipsona1,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for writing your feedback and review, as it is vital for us in moving the hotel forward. I am happy to know that my team served you and they made you feel relaxed and were helpful. I do apologise for the works going on, this is down to the local council in a regeneration programme of Shirley.

I hope to see you again once the work s has finished, Take care

Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We made a mistake in booking this hotel, as the Premier Inn M42, and also named Solihull is the better choice. Its closer to the motorway, in a nicer area, and has a better resteraunt on site.

However, having tried to change it (we couldn't), we stuck with it. Rooms are what you would expect, in fact bigger than some family rooms that we have stayed in, but the issues were as follows:

1. There is a lot of construction going on around the hotel, and the machinery got underway at 6am !! You could certainly put the Good Nights Sleep Guarantee to the test (we didn't).
2. Access is difficult, as it is along a very busy road, with high levels of traffic, making the journey to the hotel a pain, and its a slog out onto the Motorway.

Positively - plenty of parking (Free), great staff - really friendly and helpful, and good value.

Room Tip: Solihull M42 Hotel is a better location.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Manny S, Manager at Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Mr Stewart Davies,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay. Unfortunately there is construction going on along side the hotel, which is to do with the council. I will feed this back to them to look into noise control. Once all the construction finished I hope that we can change your mind on the location with the re-generation programme that will provide a new and fresh surrounding.

I am glad that you were happy with the free car parking, friendliness of the staff and the value for money.

Thank you once again for the feedback

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Arrived late with a very tired young family - we received a very friendly and efficient welcome. Our family room was comfortable and pleasantly big enough to accommodate 4 ( its often not the case). Had a great overnight stay, very clean and modern throughout the hotel and the big breakfast was perfect the next morning!
Thank you ... You've restored my faith in budget family friendly hotels!!

Room Tip: Good size family room - comfortably able to sleep 2 adults & 2 kids.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Manny S, Manager at Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Sarah473,

Thank you for you for taking the time out to give me feedback on my hotel. I am happy to read you have had a warm welcome and the room and hotel met your requirements. I will pass on the feedback for breakfast to the GM of the pub/restaurant establishment. I'm happy we have restored your faith in budget family friendly hotels.

We hope to see you again soon, take care

Manny Singh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
The Regency Hotel Solihull
Premier Inn Solihull South (M42) Hotel
Ramada Birmingham Solihull
Premier Inn Solihull Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Solihull (Hockley Heath, M42) Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel

Been to Premier Inn Solihull (Shirley) Hotel? Share your experiences!