“Best PI staff around”

Solihull (Shirley) Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
Reviewed January 27, 2013

PI are often let down by their staff, the last one I reviewed in Hall Green was a case in point, it was a great hotel let down by poor staff service. The same is not true of this PI.

The hotel itself is ok, it has been refurbished and the rooms are good, not as good as some more recently modernised but ok. The reception staff are however brilliant, I stopped last Wednesday and the friendliest person ever was working.

Hotel stay was fine made all the better by the staff. PI should take note.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Manny S, Manager at Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give my Premier Inn feedback and review. I am glad you had such a pleasant stay and experience with ourselves. At Premier Inn we really do strive to recruit the most friendly and helpful team and I'm glad to hear that during your stay here you have found this the case.

We have also signed off plans to resurface the car park that will make your stay with us that little bit better.

Thanks again for taking your time to respond.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've never stayed in this PI before and have to say the staff were great from check in to check out.
The location of the hotel seems strange to me and there is quite a bit of passing traffic as its situated along a major road. There was plenty of parking, it's pay & display but PI customers don't have to pay. The lady on reception was happy and it wasn't a forced happy. She was polite and informative to myself and my colleague about the hotel and breakfast times.
Breakfast was actually pretty good, which if you read my regular reviews will know PI not the best at this. The lady taking the order was polite and friendly, the buffet was laid out nice and tidy and plenty of supplies, unlike other PI's.
I did have an issue with the idiot in the room next door who decided to bring half of Solihull back to his room and make emense noise. One quick visit to reception and it was dealt with, all fell quiet.. Lovely!! Thanks to the guy on reception that evening, you saved me being on a murder charge.
This is a great place to stay, warm welcome and clean rooms seem guaranteed. I would stay here again, the only thing that puts me of is the traffic.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mimmy23
Manny S, Manager at Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Mimmy23,

Thank you for taking the time out to give my Premier Inn feedback and review. I am happy to hear your experience with the team was very good and also the breakfast the following morning. I do have to apologise for the inconvenience of the guest next-door making noise, I’m happy the team member dealt with the issue straight away. It is a busy road so I would like apologise for any inconvenience you may have had.

The team and myself look forward to seeing you again in the near future take care from the whole of my team.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have never reviewed a budget chain before, as they are normally the same wherever you go. The basic product at Premier Inn room, breakfast, wifi is all of decent standard. There was work being undertaken here and the location is very average but the difference here was that the staff were excellent. Friendly, helpful and just appeared to enjoy their work and want you to enjoy your trip. Perhaps i was just lucky or Premier Inn have decided to place greater emphasis on customer service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank gipsona1
Manny S, Manager at Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Gipsona1,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for writing your feedback and review, as it is vital for us in moving the hotel forward. I am happy to know that my team served you and they made you feel relaxed and were helpful. I do apologise for the works going on, this is down to the local council in a regeneration programme of Shirley.

I hope to see you again once the work s has finished, Take care

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We made a mistake in booking this hotel, as the Premier Inn M42, and also named Solihull is the better choice. Its closer to the motorway, in a nicer area, and has a better resteraunt on site.

However, having tried to change it (we couldn't), we stuck with it. Rooms are what you would expect, in fact bigger than some family rooms that we have stayed in, but the issues were as follows:

1. There is a lot of construction going on around the hotel, and the machinery got underway at 6am !! You could certainly put the Good Nights Sleep Guarantee to the test (we didn't).
2. Access is difficult, as it is along a very busy road, with high levels of traffic, making the journey to the hotel a pain, and its a slog out onto the Motorway.

Positively - plenty of parking (Free), great staff - really friendly and helpful, and good value.

Room Tip: Solihull M42 Hotel is a better location.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Manny S, Manager at Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Mr Stewart Davies,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay. Unfortunately there is construction going on along side the hotel, which is to do with the council. I will feed this back to them to look into noise control. Once all the construction finished I hope that we can change your mind on the location with the re-generation programme that will provide a new and fresh surrounding.

I am glad that you were happy with the free car parking, friendliness of the staff and the value for money.

Thank you once again for the feedback

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Arrived late with a very tired young family - we received a very friendly and efficient welcome. Our family room was comfortable and pleasantly big enough to accommodate 4 ( its often not the case). Had a great overnight stay, very clean and modern throughout the hotel and the big breakfast was perfect the next morning!
Thank you ... You've restored my faith in budget family friendly hotels!!

Room Tip: Good size family room - comfortably able to sleep 2 adults & 2 kids.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Manny S, Manager at Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Sarah473,

Thank you for you for taking the time out to give me feedback on my hotel. I am happy to read you have had a warm welcome and the room and hotel met your requirements. I will pass on the feedback for breakfast to the GM of the pub/restaurant establishment. I'm happy we have restored your faith in budget family friendly hotels.

We hope to see you again soon, take care

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is located close enough to the N.E.C. when the others are fully booked, a quick jaunt onto the motorway and 20 mins later we were at the N.E.C. Nice and easy!!!! Staff are extremely friendly, room was clean and the bed was indeed comfortable

Room Tip: Make sure you find out if there is a bath or a shower!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosanna R
Manny S, Manager at Solihull (Shirley) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Rosanna R,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Solihull Shirley Premier Inn and for taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you soon , take care.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Used this hotel for a trip to LG Arena. The drive takes about 15 minutes in normal traffic so is acceptable compared with the high priced hotels very close by. Take care, there are four Premier Inns along this road and it's easy to park at the wrong one.
Turning to this hotel it is a bit tired & run down looking. The room we were in was on the third (top) floor and had a sloping roof with a skylight window. This did not open and had a broken blind over it so getting light into the room was a struggle as was making it dark to sleep. The shower cubicle was also showing signs of damp and patchy paintwork. The room could be described as 'adequate' but I would not want to be here for more than just sleeping. The Hotel is in the middle of a shopping area and the Saracens Head pub/restaurant is a noisy one I would expect the lower rooms to suffer a bit from noise. As we stayed two nights the room was made up in between but the Tea and Coffee was not replenished, poor customer service.

Room Tip: Top floors for quiet, lower floors for more headroom
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear nutsford,

Thank you for your comments and feedback, I will communicate the points about the Saracens head to the GM. With regards to the hotel we will start to tackle the problems raised by you and get them resolved as quickly as possible. This hotel is within a pipeline for a refurbishment programme so you might see some Premier Inn with totally different specifications but all should be a clean and comfortable environment. Once again thank you for your feedback and choosing to stay with Premier Inn, We hope to see you soon.

Take Care

Manny Singh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
The Regency Hotel Solihull
2 mi away
The St. John's Hotel
The St. John's Hotel
#14 of 28 in Solihull

Been to Solihull (Shirley) Hotel? Share your experiences!