“Ruined New Years Eve”

The Regency Hotel Solihull
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
Reviewed January 3, 2014

As with most NYE reviews mine is very much like all the rest. My only difference was that I requested to see the general manager. His duty manager promised he would call me the following day to address my complaints in regard to a NYE we will not forget and for all the wrong reasons. Needless to say we are 2 days on from NYs day and still no reply, this really does sum up the total apathy and disregard for customer service at this facility.
There were eight people in my party and we experienced the same issues on the night as in the morning at breakfast. Poor response to requests, rude responses not from the table staff, from the breakfast room manager apalling behaviour when questioned about the breakfast or rather lack of it. He is a manager of people and his position calls for composed and controlled responses when communicating with the paying customers, he failed badly in all areas.
Looking at all the reviews from guests its hard to understand why The Corus hotel group have not tried to carry out a damage limitation exercise and contact as many people as possible to address the negative reviews they have received, and then maybe by communicating with the customer they can improve their standing in the eyes of so many disappointed guests.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jimpaul09
Amy C, Sales Manager - Midlands Cluster at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to offer my apologies for the experience that you had at the Hotel on New Year’s Eve, I am very disappointed to hear the feedback you have provided and my apologies that you also were not contacted promptly by the previous General Manager.
We have made some recent changes to the management team at the Hotel who pride themselves in providing an excellent standard of service. Please be assured that all your comments have been passed over to the new management team to address with the relevant departments.
Once again my sincere apologies for the experience you had at the Hotel and I would like to assure you that we have already taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again.
Sales Manager – Midlands Cluster

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

A group of us stayed for NYE party night from start to finish it was a complete disaster!
It took almost 30 mins to check in only 1 receptionist please note though she was lovely and the nicest member of staff I actually met.
Then we went to our very dated room, thank god we were only staying for 1 night as we didn't need to use the shower facilities as it was very worn and dirty in desperate need of updating!
Now to the party, the night on a whole was good dj played mix of music suited to everyone's taste think by talking to everyone else at the hotel our room was the best, my only complaint is on all posters and website the dj was ment to finish at 2am but finished at 1.30am the bouncers then attempted to kick us out when we questioned it his reply was the manager will give you 10 mins grace what a joke! All the manager could say is it was a mistake on the posters Really! Or had he just had enough for the night.
From here on in it went from bad to worse we went though to the residents bar were because somebody had helped themselves the manager went into complete melt down and shut the bar, how can he blame the whole hotel for 1 persons error!
Then we go on to breakfast or should I say lack of it as is was none existent! We had to clean a table for ourselves waited over 15 mins for coffee then had no cups to pour it into so it, then we got toast no butter no plates no knife. Finally when there was food I managed to get myself 2 sausages which when cutting into the first it looked liked it had barely seen the pan so I called a waitress over she carried it off to the kitchen only in my complete surprise for the restaurant manager to come barging over to my table with the other sausage and a temperature probe in the end of it telling me look it's 71 degrees then walked off. I have never in my life experienced such bad customer service the fact that they bought me the other sausage anyway just proves that the one cut open must of been raw, a sorry would of been good enough but instead I got that response.
At check out I think almost everyone complained again we didn't get a sorry all we got was the bill reduced by £20 well I'm sorry but in my opinion it should if been free it's a shame as we have been to this hotel several times before but we would never visit again I feel they list a lot of customers that night.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank natalie m

Dear Guest,
Firstly my apologies for the experience that you had at The Regency Hotel on New Years Eve, I am very disappointed to hear the feedback you have provided and I want to assure you that all your comments were relayed to senior management.
The Hotel is also completing a huge refurbishment at present which will be completed at the end of this month.
Sales Manager – Midlands Cluster

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We went down for breakfast at 1030am and it was a joke there was no hot food on the buffet the staff was doing there best to help but who ever was cooking the food needs a right kick up the back side apart from the breakfast the hotel was really nice and service staff really good I would come back but next time I won't bother booking breakfast.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Markwmore

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience with the breakfast at the Hotel, we have recently made some changes to our Kitchen team.
I am pleased to hear that the service you received from our staff was friendly, we do pride ourselves on always providing a friendly and professional service to all guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future and hope you will be able to enjoy a breakfast cooked by our new Kitchen team.
Sales Manager - Midlands Cluster

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We visit every year, leaving with no complaints at all, however this year was absolutely diabolical. The choice of menu was terrible, the vegetables were undercooked, lack of presentation. The atmosphere of the night was lovely, I cannot fault that. The staff New Years eve were friendly, lovely company to share our night with.

In our room, one light bulb did not work. I have no further comments regarding the room, other than the new refurbishment is a major improvement and is much more appealing now.

Now, where do I start with breakfast? We arrived for breakfast at 10.30. (Breakfast is served till 11) Myself and the rest of the party had to clear the tables ourselves, ask the staff to clean our table, then wait around 15-20 minutes to receive tea and coffee once we requested it.
It was not a happy atmosphere attending breakfast. There was no food at all to eat. A member of staff was rude, did not seem to care. My friend was talking to him, mid conversation, he walked off with a filthy look on his face! No customer service skills whatsoever.

We will no longer be attending any of the events.

Room Tip: Choose and executive room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just returned from a frank Sinatra night but the worse tribute I've ever seen I've seen better in my local but the difference is we paid nearly 100 quid each inc accommodation . Good job we are not Sinatra fans he only sang 2 or 3 of his songs .the dj missed the Big Ben countdowns as well it was ludicrous.
The prices in the bar were very expensive we actually popped to a nearby bar in the afternoon and a very upmarket bar at that and the drinks that cost 12 pound a round cost over 16 in the hotel bar.

Food was good and room was ok no complaints there but the hotel was extremely hot and then on to breakfast .... Well there wasn't any just a great big que waiting for food that wasn't arriving I've never seen so many people complaining to no avail so we went to mcdonalds on the way home .we won't be going to anymore party nights here first and last time.absolute shambolic management .

Room Tip: Long walk to rooms ask for one neR reception
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We came on a Groupon deal which was a spa day with treatments and I had paid £5 per person on top for use of the facilities. Upon arrival, there was no one to greet us and we were informed by reception that we could not use the pool because swimming lessons were being held. There were 3 hard seats and a table in a cold, draughty area by the treatment rooms and the staff did not know if I could get a drink or not as they stated they were a franchise and not part of the hotel. I went to reception and was then sent to the breakfast area where I had to wait for a drink. The staff and the service were adequate but I did not feel welcomed. The toilets were not clean and it did not feel in any way a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My friend and I have just visited this hotel for a Christmas Lunch 12.30pm on the 18th December.2013.

The meal was a three course meal and we enjoyed a complimentary coffee. The
food was delicious and plentiful. For our main course we chose the salmon and it was cooked to perfection. The starter and the dessert were equally delicious. We weren't rushed and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely recommend it to anyone. We were really pleased and extremely good value. The restaurant was was very pleasing. Our waitress Clair S was equally obliging and a lovely lady. We shall certainly come again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Valerie C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
2 mi away
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
The St. John's Hotel
The St. John's Hotel
#14 of 28 in Solihull

Been to The Regency Hotel Solihull? Share your experiences!