“Child friendly hotel but nothing special”

The Regency Hotel Solihull
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shirley
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel as we were visiting the Edible Garden Show at the Stoneleigh Park. We stayed two nights and booked a family room.

We found the buffet breakfast was great in the morning as everyone could choose from the excellent selection. The room was too hot to be comfortable at night and unfortunately, the noise from the torrential rain running down the downpipes outside meant we couldn't open the windows.

We would recommend asking for a room away from the fire door as this door slamming kept us awake most of the night (along with very noisy guests next door but this is not the hotel's fault).

The children loved the room (which was very clean) and the swimming pool. The pool area however didn't look very clean. The plunge pool had a not very appealing greasy film floating on it, and when we arrived at the pool with the children, all the chairs were taken by non-resident parents waiting for their children to finish their swimming lesson in the main pool area. This meant we had to put towels for the children on the fake rocks surrounding some planting. Unfortunately, it was only later that we realised that the planting was infested with ants - so our towels got covered in ants which was unpleasant.

The fake rocks around the pool were also a bit slimey.

To be fair to the hotel though, they were shutting the pool on the Monday after our visit for cleaning, so this could have been the reason.

One thing also worth mentioning, we ordered room service on the first night, which was very welcome as we were all tired and a good quality.

However, we avoided eating in the restaurant as the environment seemed a little too adult for our under 5's, so we decided to walk to the Italian restaurant next door (which was very good).

On our return, we cut through the bar area back to our room. There was a very strong smell of cigarette smoke in the bar area. We are assuming the smoking guests were smoking inside the bar instead of outside due to the poor weather - but we were not impressed that this was being tolerated.

Otherwise, we reserved parking as was recommended and were able to park right outside the main door. In addition, our youngest left his teddy bear in bed. The duty manager and housekeeping staff hunted for it successfully and they kindly forwarded it on (we obviously paid postage).

The staff all seemed very helpful and rooms/communal areas were very tidy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the fire doors and the lift.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lucky_Ange
CorusSolihull, General Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we take all comments good or bad on board.

I am pleased you found the breakfast to your liking as for the fire door kept slamming I have asked our maintenance department to investigate this.

In regards to your comments regarding the pool and pool area the only time we closed any part of the club for one reason or another would have been back in March and very surpirsed by your comments describing the state of the pool as we deep clean the pool area a few times daily. The pool area is very busy around 4 till 6 when swimming lessons are on so unfortunately there is limited space on and around the poolside. We have recently had a new pump installed for the plunge pool so there should have not been any slime/dirt.

we do NOT allow smoking on the premises and can only conclude that there were a number of smokers in the bar that evening that had been outside the front to smoke.

I do hope you will return to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Well what can I say. Firstly the bad bits. Yes it needs touching up with a lick of paint in places but what hotel doesn't . would not say tired looking just maybe used a lot . Lovely area but did drive up and down the Stratford road a few times till I found it as I was looking for the word corus and not regency. Internet goes of every 24 hours so remember to get a new code as I went without Internet for one day but my fault.

The good news, I had a lovely very clean room on the second floor with one double and two singles. So if u have two young kids lots of room. Pool looked nice and lovely warmth coming from that area, but never got a chance to bring my three year old into it.
Lovely new carpets and and a quite area to sit in the evening to have a drink just near reception but I only really passed it with my little boy.

Just a quick mention to phil on the night desk, thanks for sorting the password for my email.
All the staff were nice but it's like everything some people always find a fault with something that is life.
I paid 112 pounds for my room for three nights so got it at a bargain. Will be coming again next month as I have family here I see every month and won't be using premier inns again.

Great location for villa fans as well and lots of places to eat within five mins of the hotel.

Very happy Dublin male here and keep up the good work.

I never ate at the hotel so can't comment.

Room Tip: Look for a view of the garden I had room 229.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
CorusSolihull, General Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments I have passed them onto the relevant departments.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Regency Corus Hotel in the near future.

The General Manager.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Arrived for a night away and the fun and games started at reception, lack lustre staff who obviously need training as they are clueless. Bar staff were the best of the bunch as friendly and helpful. The rooms are supposed to have a rack rate of £180 per night, never in a million years they are travel inn standard on a good day if that. Got to breakfast in the morning to be told we had no entitlement to breakfast as you had to pay the extra. I told the clueless girl we had paid and after some uncomfortable time she finally rang reception to have it confirmed we had and so we were allowed into the room.. She asked if we wanted tea & coffee to which we said yes please, this was delivered to the table. I am assuming the planet she came from does not use cups and saucers to drink their beverages from as none were on the table and none were forthcoming.. I had to go and find her to ask for some.. Was made to feel like i was on rations during the breakfast buffet as the manager looked upon my food with suspicion with every trip to the buffet.. Will not be staying again even at the laterooms £75 rate with breakfast included.. I have worked in this industry for 22 years and cannot believe that in this climate of austerity and needing to go the extra mile in terms of service that dinosaurs of establishments like this can survive..

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank The_Cat_Head_Inn
CorusSolihull, General Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

I would like to thank you for your review regarding your stay at The Regency Corus Hotel.

I am disappointed that your stay was not to your liking and do hope you brought your concerns to the attention of The Duty Manager.

Our staff are always undergoing training and development but have forwarded your comments onto the Front of House Manager.

I apologise for the confusion at breakfast and not quite sure why the Manager would be monitoring your plates?

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review and your comments have been taken on board.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Firstly the room was standard but nothing spectacular but at least it was clean and we had the garden view which was nice to look at.

Unfortunately the bathroom didn't have a window, and the vent didn't work so it was a little stuffy.

The best part was the breakfast time there was plenty of choice and fresh baked bread and fruit, also the service is brilliant.

I loved that the hotel was located near the motorway and a Tesco.

Overall a good stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
CorusSolihull, General Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and perhaps when you visit The Regency Corus Hotel next time you will get the chance to upgrade to an Executive room.

I have forwarded your nice comments regarding breakfast to the relevant department.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hotel Ok, very tired and needs updating. Staff at reception friendly, but obviously lacked training. We were a party of 8 (including 5 children). We booked 3 rooms, 1 double & 2 triples. The double was quite small and situated so far away, it was cold as it was obviously on the end of the hotels heating system, the cold water in the bath came out as a trickly and the hot water in the shower as not what I would call hot. The other two rooms were nice and big, but far to hot so not much sleep was had.
The hotel pool was in my opinion not very clean the floor around the pool was very dirty and when I wiped my feet on the white towel it was black. Swimming Pool hygiene is very important and should be made a priority, particularly if you are trying to encourage familys to your hotel. Also, there obviously didn't like children in the area, with the 5 boys in our party and the fact they made friends with other children in the pool, they were all have a great time, but your staff were very critical of the fact that were were 3 mums travelling on our own. (Very judgemental).
At breakfast we waiting and were given a table, but that was it, we had to ask for tea and coffee, for more breakfast as there was nothing left. Other guests were asked when seated, but not us. However, when the food arrived in was lovely. In opinion, not a very family friendly hotel, more coach party hotel for the older person!
On the plus side, there is a Beafeater and Harvester a short walk, where we had dinner and who are geared up to families, and the food and atmosphere there was great.

3  Thank mumknowbest
CorusSolihull, General Manager at The Regency Hotel Solihull, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you your recent comments following your stay at The Regency Corus Hotel, Solihull.

I was patriculary concerned regarding your comments in respect to the Leisure staff and their comments, I will be investigating further on this matter.

As for your comments regarding the decor of the hotel, I was rather surprised as we have just had new carpets and flooring laid throughout the hotel and we do have an ongoing redecorating programme in place.

We are always reviewing our service and staff training and development is ongoing.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you get the opportunity to return to The Regency Corus Hotel or perhaps visit one of other hotels.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My Son & Daughter in Law booked their wedding at this hotel, and I can't fault the hotel for the service they provided. Everything went really smoothly no problems at all, it was a wonderful day and the rooms were set up beautifully, the staff worked so hard to ensure we had a wonderful day.
The weekend of the wedding was the weekend of the SNOW!! we stayed over friday & saturday evening.
The Events team did a really good job organising the whole day, we had the ceremony in the Courtyard Restaurant and also the Wedding Breakfast in there as well , the Room looked wonderful for the ceremony and then they worked hard to dress it for the Wedding Breakfast. The Meal was first class everyone in the wedding party enjoyed their meal the staff were so well organised.
We moved into a larger room for the Evening reception which was dressed the same as the room for wedding breakfast. The Buffet on the evening was a mixture of Hot and Cold food and was superb plenty of food to cater for 120 people. The Bar staff worked tirelessly and cleared any breakages or spillages up straight away.
As a family we would like to thank the Hotel and all the staff for a wonderful day on 23rd March 2013 and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel as a wedding venue, we had read other reviews and were not sure what to expect, but we can honestly say "CONGRATULATIONS" to all concerned for making the day so Special for all of us. Thank You.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out onto the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your excellent review!

I am pleased you had a lovely day and I have passed on your comkments to all the staff concerned.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Treated my whole family to a hot stone massage and 2 hours use of the spa on a special offer. We all enjoyed relaxing during the massage. The staff were very polite and attentive. I have had many massages in different places and found the room quite claustrophobic as it was so small. The waiting area was also very cramped.

I liked the pool area in the leisure centre as you could swim up and down comfortably and the water was warm. The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were all working fine. The changing area reminded me of a cross between a shed and a school changing room! Facilities very basic and no lighting in either of the two showers which was very strange.

The facilities definitely need updating and the massage rooms were not purpose built. that said I would have given overall good if there had been that category.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding Serenity Spa.

I am glad you had a lovely experience and do hope you recommend the Spa to your family and friends.

We hope to see you back at the Spa again in the near future.

Kindest regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirley
Village Hotel Solihull
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Hogarths Hotel
Hogarths Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorridge

Been to The Regency Hotel Solihull? Share your experiences!