Rio Chirripo Lodge & Retreat
  • Pool
$499
$374
Official Website
Best Western Hotel Zima(San Isidro del General)
$86
Hotel del Sur(San Isidro del General)
$59
$57
Orbitz.com
$87
Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa(San Gerardo de Dota)(Great Value!)
$59
$57
$120
$99
$140
  • Breakfast included
Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge(San Gerardo de Dota)
$114
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot tubthe rivergranolawonderful hostsmagical placeyoga classesyoga roompura vidafresh fruita special placehealthy fooddelicious breakfastclean airbeautiful groundshidden gemopen fireseveral days
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband, myself and another couple stayed at Rio Chirripo Retreat for several days in August. It was such a wonderful, relaxing experience. Orianna was the perfect "hostess" and ensured our visit was relaxing and comfortable. Ori arranged a yoga lesson for me and the instructor was perfect for my needs. She secured a masseuse for one in our party and he said it was the best massage he ever had. The food served for breakfast is plentiful, beautiful, healthy and oh so delicious. We didn't want to leave as the grounds are so gorgeous. The pool, the hot tub, or the Rio Chirripo bordering the property were all peaceful to the mind, body and soul. We loved waking up the the most incredible views of the mountains every morning, enjoying from our balcony. Birds and hummingbirds were plentiful. Thank you for everything and we plan on visiting again next year.

Room Tip: The upper balcony room is a little small, however, you will NOT want to be spending your time in the room, but exploring the grounds. And make sure you get the top balcony room as the view will be much better.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CritterHill
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were looking for a grand finale to our month long Costa Rican adventure and found the perfect mix of high adventure and relaxation at Rio Chirripo. It's an easy bus ride from San Jose to San Isidro and we were met there by a wonderful driver arranged by Rio Chirripo. We enjoyed the rugged climb up to the resort in their 4X4 taxi. The driver even stopped along the way to show us an ancient stone model of Cerro Chirripo along the way.

The accomodations are beautiful and relaxing. We stayed in The Casita for four nights but they showed us all of the different rooms of the resort and they are all beautiful. The shower had great pressure was was hot when we wanted, which can be rare in Costa Rica. The room was very clean and the staff snuck in every day to clean up after us and always folded our laundry and washed our dishes for us, which we did not expect. The beds were clean and very comfortable.

The food was fantastic. Breakfast was amazing ever morning with fresh, local fruit and granola, eggs, banana pancakes, and GREAT coffee. The pancakes and granola alone are reason enough to visit Rio Chirripo. Make sure to ask for dinner if you get the chance. They may provide evening meals upon request, which is good because they make the best food in town. They even packed us some granola and sandwiches to go for our overnight adventure to the summit of Cerro Chirripo.

The staff and owners of Rio Chirripo are great people, completely friendly, and so incredibly helpful. They helped us understand how to get our reservations to climb Chirripo, which was especially important given the fact that our trip was arranged with less than 1 week of notice. They also drove us to the trail head to start our hikes both at Cloud Bridge and Chirripo. For that matter, they offerred to drive us just about anywhere we wanted to go but we usually prefer to explore by foot.

The grounds at Rio Chirripo are breath taking from the sprawling garden-like grounds to the pool and river, we were always at peace during our stay. Everything about the retreat is just peaceful and perfect.

We did not attend a yoga due to oversleeping in our previously mentioned comfortable bed but but we did see the class in progress and it looked very nice and professional. We spent much time relaxing in the common room near the restaurant and it is just a great place to unwind. We also enjoyed "internet bench" which is the best place to check email and update your Facebook status while visiting the retreat.

We are are married couple traveling together but we saw other couples and families enjoying the resort. It was a fun mix of new friends and the Rio Chirripo treated everybody like family no matter what.

Do not hesitate to book your stay at this beautiful and peaceful retreat. It was easily the highligt of our Costa Rican adventure.

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked great but if you want some extra room book "La Casita" like we did. We had room to spread out with a beautiful sitting area on our deck overlooking the jungle and a kitchenette. The "River Cabin" is also really beautiful and very romantic.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We participated in an incredible yoga retreat with Leah MacLaughlin from Atenas. We are blessed to call Costa Rica and Atenas our adopted home. Frank and Ori's beautiful lodge, rooms, yoga center, gardens, pool, jacuzzi make this truly one of my favorite spots in all of Costa Rica. There are hiking trails, gorgeous surroundings including the pristine river. Frank and Ori treat everyone like family. Their staff is the best as well. Everyone goes out of their way to make your stay so special. Leah is also an amazing yogi which made this visit extraodinary. The food is made with the freshest, local ingredients - delicious and healthy! I can't wait to go back soon!

Isa

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank IsaCostaRica
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I travel overseas every year and don't like to repeat vacations but I will return next year. It was well worth the drive to get there and back from San Jose. I used the cab driver Frank and Oriana recommended and I will use him again. The food was beautiful, healthy and delicious. I chose to do yoga everyday. If you want to be active, there is a mountain to climb, lots of hiking and hill running if you're into that. I actually lost about 5 lbs. There's the river, of course, so you can do whatever people do in raging rivers. I just enjoyed looking at it. If you want peace and relaxation, there's plenty of opportunity for that too. If you want more details, read Janick2010's review. I agree with everything they said.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stumbled into this little slice of nirvana while we were tooling around the area on a holiday from our home in the southern Caribbean. We intended just one night, but stayed two, and will definitely return for a longer visit next time. From the very minute you enter the property you are greeted with beautiful naturalized garden areas, nurtured by Ori's mother, a local woman who's hand (and heart) creates a tapestry of colors, textures and scents.
The common buildings such as the lodge and the yoga studio are both simple and elegant at the same time, with the grand spaces, artful stucco work, the colorful tile accents, bold use of rustic wood supports, carefully selected art, textiles and meditation pieces. There is much to look at without a lot of clutter and visual distraction. Large open spaces allow, even promote, the crisp air to circulate bringing in fresh scents and fresher breezes.
Paths are well tended, ranging from asphalt in the parking area to natural rock inset in concrete to concrete pavers to well placed gravel. This point is made, because in area that receives a great deal of rain, you're assured a steady, mud-free, path from your room to the lodge, pool/hot tub, or one of the many quiet areas. They even provide you a flashlight on your key ring to supplement the path lighting.
There are a couple of room types. The first night we stayed in one of the "numbered rooms" that span over two (?) 2 story buildings. We were a little skeptical how private it would be, as we shared a deck with the adjacent room. The room was nicely appointed, with a double and a twin bed (as is pretty typical in CR hotels). What's very special is the attention to every little detail, quality linens, plump comforters for the chilly night, extra blankets you can use as cover-ups on the deck over the valley and river, and original local art. A simple stencil pattern hand painted on the walls carries the Indian theme. The room is not large, but comfortable and more than adequate to accommodate luggage with a roomy closet and plenty of shelving. The bathroom, also compact but not tight, features a shower roomy enough for two, crisp clean (and large!) towels, good lighting, and windows to allow fresh air. The room and bath were spotlessly clean, not brand new construction, but well maintained. My faint concern regarding privacy was squashed, we never heard a peep from our neighbor who came and went often and our chance encounters were pleasant.
The second night we stayed in the riverside cabin. This was the single best accommodation I have ever experienced, hands down. The cabin is separate from the rest of the areas, just a short walk down a path from the pool. Sitting on a knoll immediately above the river, you can see the water spilling over large vehicle-sized boulders through breaks in the vegetation. The sound of the water is mesmerizing, perfect for sitting and reading a book on the private deck, or for deep slumber. If you are talking, you'll have to speak up a bit, but I found that it encouraged us to relax more and talk less. This free standing cabin is quite roomy, with just the double bed and an oversized bath. Windows span nearly the whole width of both rooms, letting in lots of natural light, fresh air, and beautiful musical water sounds. Again, luscious linens, elegantly simple decor and beautiful woodwork create art in architecture.
Lastly, the food... delicious! A primarily vegetarian menu, we were lucky enough to get there on a night they were preparing dinner as well. I don't know that they do this everyday, perhaps by special request, I neglected to clarify. The dinner was a robust minestrone soup with the freshest of vegetables and homemade pasta. The accompanying salad was both beautiful and flavorful. The homemade bread was whole grain (!) and served with an assortment of exotic marmalades. Desert was a delicious cobbler with a rich dark chocolate drizzled on top. Yea, my eyes rolled to the back of my head! Ori explained that the property has a large garden where they are able to grow countless vegetables, fruits and hebs that are used for the meal. During a walk the next day, I confirmed she was not exaggerating!! A feast on the vine, stem and branch. Breakfast the next morning, fresh and again, delicious. Homemade granola, fresh yogurt, a variety of fresh cut fruit, separate, not mixed as is so often the case. I love it that way! I love to pick and choose between pineapple, papaya, watermelon, bananas... even though I admit I take them all. Also a plate of fresh avocado, sliced tomatoes and a cheese made by her godparents that is stellar. We actually visited the home where the cheese is made and brought back two blocks, one of the original swiss and one with herbs. This is the BEST cheese I've had in all of Costa Rica. They served eggs prepared to order. Bread and more marmalades round out the meal if you desire, as well as abundant fresh juice and the ever-present Costa Rican coffee--yum!! They also have a great selection of teas, an unusual little attention to detail, as I usually have to carry my own when I travel.
Ori and the others at the lodge were kind and courteous, providing tips on things to see, yet never over-bearing or intrusive. We left after two days to do more exploring, but we never had another experience as decadent as this. Delightful through and through.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
riochirripo, Owner at Rio Chirripo Lodge & Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Thank you so much Janet. We look forward to having you stay with us again in December