“Magical place!!!”

61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Magical place!!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Magical but not Disney. Wonderful place for nature lovers and lovers of beauty. Nanan's Tours offer affordable well-guided tours. Unfortunately, they cannot do anything about the mosquitoes but other than that, this is a 'must see'. Experience the serenity of watching the Scarlet Ibis come in to roost. Nothing else matters!!!!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank hubjeanne

Point Fortin, Trinidad
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“"Pot of gold" at the end of the swamp”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Though not lucky like other visitors to see a wide ranges of different animals....the tour was still worth it. I visited the Caroni Bird Sanctuary with my 4year old son and my friends and her two kids. We chose Madoo Tours based on the good reviews and I must commend Darren. He was indeed knowledgeable on the Swamp and the animals. We saw two snakes at different point along the trip, blue herons, egrets, crabs which gives the Scarlet Ibis its colour, iguana and off course the lovely sight of the Scarlet Ibis. No luck seeing any anteaters, caimans, etc. It was still worth it though. The most spectacular sight is the return of the Scarlet Ibis too their nesting place. As recommended by the tour guide, the scarlet ibis are seen nesting most during the months of Nov - Mar when thousands are seen. The swamp is much larger than anticipated and has a tranquility which I love as the Scarlet Ibis returned home and "laden" the mangrove trees with their red hue.

Note that snacks are needed of taking young kids as they get very restless on the tour and this is not provided by the tour company. Also, the water may seem murky for a long way before reaching the viewing point for the scarlet Ibis but don't feel dishearten. The final stop on the tour is truly a lovely sight.

I will return when my son is a little older.

1 Thank nmvf
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very nice experience with Madoo's family run business”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Me and my girlfriend Kim had a wonderful time and almost had a private boat to ourselves. The guides were very well informed and good. They could spot birds and animals from far and really knew what they were talking about. We were lucky to see many animals that are usually hiding. The mangrove scenery is just breathtaking. The same guides took us to see turtles nesting the same night and they truly made our day special. If you want to have food/water on board you can ask them before if you have a group or you should bring some water/snacks on board.

We would recommend anyone to take the Caroni Bird Sanctuary tour with Madoo if you are going to be travelling to Trinidiad. http://www.madoobirdtours.com/contact-us.html

Thanks and good luck,

Math & Kim

2 Thank Zarkein
Geneva, Switzerland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Unforgettable Scenery!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is one of my favourite places in Trinidad, I have been here seven times and each visit is unique and very special! I always go with Nanan's Boat Tours as the price is reasonable and the guides are quite knowledgeable and have a very good eye for spotting wildlife in the thick of the mangrove! http://www.nananecotours.com/
The main attraction is the return of the scarlet ibis at sunset but you can also see blue heron, white egret, mangrove crabs, silky anteaters, owls, mangrove oysters, iguanas an occasional sleeping tree boa and other birds. The boat ride is scenic and very relaxing. I have never been bitten by mosquitoes but as a precautionary measure, visitors should take some insect repellent cream and light , long sleeved clothing. Definitely worth visiting!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank SariGene
San Diego CA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Bring a drink”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I agree with the other reviewers and can provide a few more thoughts. Very much worth doing! The cost is about $10US and worth it. We had a nearly full boat and left pretty much on time. Late comers were sped down to us periodically and climbed into our boat. This happened three times. No big deal. The late people just did not get the full experience. Lesson I guess is that if you are running a bit late, go anyway. They had water for sale just before we left and that was a good idea. Some people brought a cooler with cold beers and that was an even better idea! I did not know they would allow that but - yup. I did bring mosquito repellant on advise of a doctor friend and lathered up. As it turned out, no bugs this trip. When in Trini, go for this trip!

2 Thank United858