$110
$42
Hotel Piesta(Trinidad)
$42
Hotel Moxos(Trinidad)
All reviewswild pigsla pazthe rivermosquito netfrom start to finishflora and faunaamazing experienceno electricityshared bathroompiranha fishingnight walkfood was amazingsouth americaindigenous communityboat ridecatfishhowler monkeys
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We did a 4 day / 3 night trip here and had a great time. It's the jungle so don't expect too much luxury but our double bed was very comfy with good mosquito net. Private toilet is a few meters from the room. Hammocks outside the room are lovely for relaxing between activities.
Our guide was very knowledgable and we saw lots of wild-life: birds (lots of macaws, toucans), monkeys, insects...
Food was good. When we visited in October there weren't many Mosquitos.
Good value, highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank RoisinH_11
Madidi Jungle E... M, Propietario at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear RoisinH_11
In name of our indigenous famlies who run Madidi Jungle Ecolodge we want to say thank very much for your very positive and helpful post. We have apreciated your time with us and one more time thank you very much for support our community-based ecotourism and put your money in the right way "the local people" and in addition to support the conservation of our nature and culture. I real pleasure to have guest like you, who understand the spirit of our eco friendly commitments working at the delicate ecosystem "the rainforest".
I hope to see you again as my guests.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My bf and I really enjoyed our stay at Madidi eco lodge. The lodge is run by a community elsewhere within the park so you're helping these people support their families.

It's very basic but you're provided with a bed and mossie net, flushing toilet and shower - what more do you need! They even cook you breakfast, lunch and dinner - and all food is organic and sourced from their village. Our guide took us on walks where we were able to see so many species of birds and insects as well as pigs, turtles, monkeys - the list goes on!

I loved falling asleep to the sounds of the jungle, I felt very relaxed and at peace. It was a nice change to be back around sea level after being at altitude for so long. We were really lucky and had the place to ourselves while we were there, otherwise there's room for about 12 with 3 beds to a room. If you're a couple ask for a queen sized bed as they had some rooms with singles only.

It takes 3 hours by river to get there but it's really not that bad. Just bring a windbreaker in the wintertime as the wind can be a little chilly. There's heaps of wildlife to see, we saw monkeys, caymans, capybara and so many birds - yet again so don't put your camera away.

We wore our hiking boots in the jungle and wore long sleeved shirts with hiking pants/ jeans/ leggings. It's a little humid in the wintertime but not that bad. If you decide to wear shorts then do not forget to apply mossie spray. The mossies will still drive you crazy nonetheless.

Btw - we had honey on our pancakes which brought a whole heap of bees to our table during breakfast so if you don't like bees beware!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cifitld
Madidi Jungle E... M, Propietario at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Friends
Thanks indeed for your very positive feedback! It was a pleasure hosting you at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, thank you very much for support community-based ecotourism in Bolivia and I hope we may see you back one day!
Best Regards

Co-Founder

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We went as a family 2 kids ages 14 and 12) and this was a highlight of our 7 weeks in Bolivia. Our guide Raul was by far the best guide we had on any adventure in South America. He was so considerate of the kids and the adults. He could hear so many birds long before we could spot them. He had an amazing eye and ear. Fishing with him was great fun and we caught a HUGE fish. He caught a huge Red Piraña (what a terrifying set of chompers - needless to say we declined intertubing in the river). The lodge cooked both fish for us and they were delicious. In fact the cooking staff and the food were outstanding. We saw monkeys in camp and monkeys in the forest, dozens of wild pigs, and too many birds to recall. As others have said Alex was terrific to work with. In fact, of Four treks in Bolivia and Peru, Madidi Jungle Lodge was the most professional of any we encountered.

We had such a wonderful experience. They know how to treat clients well. I'm not sure another couple there had as much fun or saw as many animals as they talked loudly during their hikes and didn't have binoculars. Fortunately, we had bino's and knew to be quiet. The price was incredibly reasonable and the accommodations were very nice. I'd give this place 6 stars if they'd let me.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Anne H
Reviewed August 15, 2012

i am a middle age gal who travelled sola to Bolivia for a month this summer and the staff at the lodge surely made me feel welcome and valued. They acted professionally throughout my entire 5 day stay; they are also genuinely nice people, with a good sense of humour. June is within the dry season, and it did not rain on us at all (except for a short while during our river transit), which was good as this meant the trails were dry and we were able to have 2 slip- and muck-free walks hours every day, revelling in the sounds of the jungle and seeing a large variety of birds, monkeys and other animals. Also, there were very few bugs (except for a few mosquitoes at night...so I learned to carefully tuck in my mosquito net!). I also found the food very good: healthy and lots to eat (although I did pack a granola bar or some bananas from the breakfast table for munching on hikes, just in case, or in early evening, as dinner was not until 7;30 pm each night). However, I am unsure if I would eat the salads again...they may have been the cause of some quick jogs to the can? (the travel medical clinic I went to DID warn me to avoid raw veggies, espec. lettuce). The tree canopy provides excellent protection from the sun, so although the temperatures were among the highest I have every felt (I am a northerner who wilts in summer), the heat was bearable (lots of bottled water was provided, too). I don't think I would have made out well in the summer season, when I expect it would be considerably hotter, wetter and buggier but with a lot more fauna. So, June turned out to be an excellent time to go for a person who is not keen on very high temps with concomitant rains and bugs, but an urge to see this wild part of Bolivia with a professionally-run operation. Hiking groups are very small: 2 or 3 people plus a guide; this way, the chance of seeing wildlife is maximized (we did a lot of tip-toeing and whispering, as well as (optional) some crawling to sneak up on peccary, what fun!( The hike pace was reasonably slow, to minimize the noise (also of interest to those who might be wondering about exertion in the heat of the jungle). Madidi jungle is such a contrast from the hustle and zaniness of La Paz...for an outdoors-y type, it was an absolute trip highlight.

Room Tip: rooms are very basic. it is like summer camp.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank TorontoCarol
Madidi Jungle E... M, Propietario at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear TorontoCarol
First of all, we want to say thank you so much for this great review! Thanks for considering our Madidi Jungle Ecolodge like your Highlight trip to Bolivia. Our efforts seek to reduce the Ecological Footprint to the maximum; due to that reason we offer personalize service for all our passenger but however, without your help this will not be possible. In general there's no doubt about we need to improve our services all the time but of course preserving and respecting our natural and cultural heritage.
We have really appreciated so much your time with us and thank you for support Community-Based Ecotourism in Bolivia. To be honest we invite you to visit our Ecolodge in the real future!

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Please read the earlier positive comments, which we echo, and then, add this to the mix... Some of the tourist companies who provide access to the Bolivian jungle are not aware of the impact a high number of visitors have on the flora, fauna and land.  Madidi (and their community) does. They have a vested interest in showing the park’s beauty and uniqueness--they live inside Madidi National Park-- but also protecting it.   Other companies do not necessarily provide a well-considered experience for tourists.  There have been negative stories of wildlife abuse, for example. My husband (an environmental scientist) and I (high school Spanish teacher) spent 5 days/four nights in this ecolodge and we could not have asked for anything else from this outfitter and their community.  Many thanks, Alex, Raul, et al... Saludos, Lisa y Troy

Room Tip: They accommodate very well to vegetarians. The food is fabulous.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lisaoranges
Madidi Jungle E... M, Propietario at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Friends,
In name of our company and the community families working at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge we want to say thank you so much for your helpful post. Such messages are a support for us and encourage us to keep conserving our natural and cultural heritage. I real pleasure to have guest like you, who understand the spirit of our commitment.
I hope to see you again as my guests.
Warm Regards,