“A very enjoyable trip!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madidi National Park
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My bf and I really enjoyed our stay at Madidi eco lodge. The lodge is run by a community elsewhere within the park so you're helping these people support their families.

It's very basic but you're provided with a bed and mossie net, flushing toilet and shower - what more do you need! They even cook you breakfast, lunch and dinner - and all food is organic and sourced from their village. Our guide took us on walks where we were able to see so many species of birds and insects as well as pigs, turtles, monkeys - the list goes on!

I loved falling asleep to the sounds of the jungle, I felt very relaxed and at peace. It was a nice change to be back around sea level after being at altitude for so long. We were really lucky and had the place to ourselves while we were there, otherwise there's room for about 12 with 3 beds to a room. If you're a couple ask for a queen sized bed as they had some rooms with singles only.

It takes 3 hours by river to get there but it's really not that bad. Just bring a windbreaker in the wintertime as the wind can be a little chilly. There's heaps of wildlife to see, we saw monkeys, caymans, capybara and so many birds - yet again so don't put your camera away.

We wore our hiking boots in the jungle and wore long sleeved shirts with hiking pants/ jeans/ leggings. It's a little humid in the wintertime but not that bad. If you decide to wear shorts then do not forget to apply mossie spray. The mossies will still drive you crazy nonetheless.

Btw - we had honey on our pancakes which brought a whole heap of bees to our table during breakfast so if you don't like bees beware!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cifitld
Madidi Jungle E... M, Propietario at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Friends
Thanks indeed for your very positive feedback! It was a pleasure hosting you at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, thank you very much for support community-based ecotourism in Bolivia and I hope we may see you back one day!
Best Regards

Co-Founder

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We went as a family 2 kids ages 14 and 12) and this was a highlight of our 7 weeks in Bolivia. Our guide Raul was by far the best guide we had on any adventure in South America. He was so considerate of the kids and the adults. He could hear so many birds long before we could spot them. He had an amazing eye and ear. Fishing with him was great fun and we caught a HUGE fish. He caught a huge Red Piraña (what a terrifying set of chompers - needless to say we declined intertubing in the river). The lodge cooked both fish for us and they were delicious. In fact the cooking staff and the food were outstanding. We saw monkeys in camp and monkeys in the forest, dozens of wild pigs, and too many birds to recall. As others have said Alex was terrific to work with. In fact, of Four treks in Bolivia and Peru, Madidi Jungle Lodge was the most professional of any we encountered.

We had such a wonderful experience. They know how to treat clients well. I'm not sure another couple there had as much fun or saw as many animals as they talked loudly during their hikes and didn't have binoculars. Fortunately, we had bino's and knew to be quiet. The price was incredibly reasonable and the accommodations were very nice. I'd give this place 6 stars if they'd let me.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Anne H
Reviewed August 15, 2012

i am a middle age gal who travelled sola to Bolivia for a month this summer and the staff at the lodge surely made me feel welcome and valued. They acted professionally throughout my entire 5 day stay; they are also genuinely nice people, with a good sense of humour. June is within the dry season, and it did not rain on us at all (except for a short while during our river transit), which was good as this meant the trails were dry and we were able to have 2 slip- and muck-free walks hours every day, revelling in the sounds of the jungle and seeing a large variety of birds, monkeys and other animals. Also, there were very few bugs (except for a few mosquitoes at night...so I learned to carefully tuck in my mosquito net!). I also found the food very good: healthy and lots to eat (although I did pack a granola bar or some bananas from the breakfast table for munching on hikes, just in case, or in early evening, as dinner was not until 7;30 pm each night). However, I am unsure if I would eat the salads again...they may have been the cause of some quick jogs to the can? (the travel medical clinic I went to DID warn me to avoid raw veggies, espec. lettuce). The tree canopy provides excellent protection from the sun, so although the temperatures were among the highest I have every felt (I am a northerner who wilts in summer), the heat was bearable (lots of bottled water was provided, too). I don't think I would have made out well in the summer season, when I expect it would be considerably hotter, wetter and buggier but with a lot more fauna. So, June turned out to be an excellent time to go for a person who is not keen on very high temps with concomitant rains and bugs, but an urge to see this wild part of Bolivia with a professionally-run operation. Hiking groups are very small: 2 or 3 people plus a guide; this way, the chance of seeing wildlife is maximized (we did a lot of tip-toeing and whispering, as well as (optional) some crawling to sneak up on peccary, what fun!( The hike pace was reasonably slow, to minimize the noise (also of interest to those who might be wondering about exertion in the heat of the jungle). Madidi jungle is such a contrast from the hustle and zaniness of La Paz...for an outdoors-y type, it was an absolute trip highlight.

Room Tip: rooms are very basic. it is like summer camp.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank TorontoCarol
Madidi Jungle E... M, Propietario at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear TorontoCarol
First of all, we want to say thank you so much for this great review! Thanks for considering our Madidi Jungle Ecolodge like your Highlight trip to Bolivia. Our efforts seek to reduce the Ecological Footprint to the maximum; due to that reason we offer personalize service for all our passenger but however, without your help this will not be possible. In general there's no doubt about we need to improve our services all the time but of course preserving and respecting our natural and cultural heritage.
We have really appreciated so much your time with us and thank you for support Community-Based Ecotourism in Bolivia. To be honest we invite you to visit our Ecolodge in the real future!

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Please read the earlier positive comments, which we echo, and then, add this to the mix... Some of the tourist companies who provide access to the Bolivian jungle are not aware of the impact a high number of visitors have on the flora, fauna and land.  Madidi (and their community) does. They have a vested interest in showing the park’s beauty and uniqueness--they live inside Madidi National Park-- but also protecting it.   Other companies do not necessarily provide a well-considered experience for tourists.  There have been negative stories of wildlife abuse, for example. My husband (an environmental scientist) and I (high school Spanish teacher) spent 5 days/four nights in this ecolodge and we could not have asked for anything else from this outfitter and their community.  Many thanks, Alex, Raul, et al... Saludos, Lisa y Troy

Room Tip: They accommodate very well to vegetarians. The food is fabulous.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lisaoranges
Madidi Jungle E... M, Propietario at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Friends,
In name of our company and the community families working at Madidi Jungle Ecolodge we want to say thank you so much for your helpful post. Such messages are a support for us and encourage us to keep conserving our natural and cultural heritage. I real pleasure to have guest like you, who understand the spirit of our commitment.
I hope to see you again as my guests.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is an ecolodge in the heart of the Madidi National Park, which is itself located in the greater Amazone forest area. If you like to experience the jungle from behind sleek glass windows, this is not the place for you; however, if you think you might enjoy a complete immersion / authentic experience, you might find this place unforgettable.

It is difficult to separate this lodge from its setting, of which it is a part, and the first thing that is striking when arriving here is how the five senses open up: suddenly, you smell (the magical siyaya flowers, for example), you hear (the astounding cries of the howler monkeys), you taste (the local catfish, wrapped in a special leave, prepared by the lodge's cook; the wonderful and very healthy acai berries), you feel (the wind when the boat driffts over the Tuichi river). For someone who is always 'connected', it was an especially gratifying experience to be away from wifi, and actually even from electricity - if you want to read in the evening, you will have to use candles, which are, in any case, provided.

The complex itself is just off the river, in the heart of the forest. The cabins are basic (wooden), but clean and comfortable. There are many hammocks around; lying still, listening to the forest sounds, while butterflies of all colours are swirling around, is unforgettable - it is like being in the very womb of the forest itself. Water is provided. However, do be aware that bathroom facilities are also basic: showers are cold, for example (but with the comfortable temperatures, that may not be an issue).

A stay here is not so much about lodging, but a complete experience: included in the price are trips into the forest and waterways. Service is highly personalised, so that a variety of trips can be arranged: for example, a night walk, an excursion to a 'parrot wall', a 'medicinal walk', and so on. I had the luck of having a private guide, who could mimick the sounds of many animals. It was also interesting to hear about the local (indigenous) communities.

Logistics are also very well-arranged. Alex and his team even made arrangements for me in La Paz, which was arranged through radio from the lodge (as there is no network coverage). The project is run by the local community and benefits go to the community. As an aside, I have to say I was surprised by the reasonnable price.

To me, this was absolutely an eye-opening experience. I cannot recommend highly enough; it is more than 'just' tourism but an experience that may inspire support for the community's efforts to protect this unique but fragile slice of our (probably) unique planet.

Room Tip: This is a lodge in the heart of the jungle and all cabins look equal. Probably, a trip here is not p...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Moritz73

Dear Moritz73,
Thank you very much for this beautiful and sensitive post. I am very happy that you have perceived and enjoyed the magic of our landscape and the commitment of our indigenous families. As much as possible our services will always be focused on the best way for you to experience all our environment and culture. I hope to see you again as my guests in the real future

Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Had a great trip with Madidi Jungle in the Madidi National Park. It's run by the same community as Chalalan but it's not as expensive and a good 3 hours up river well away from the other cheap mass tourist lodges.

Pros

Email communication with Alex was excellent. And he arranged everything as per our requirements. Even organising a cake and threw in a complimentary bottle of wine for my fiancée's birthday.

Our guide Norman was excellent well informed and communicative. Did not interfere with the animals and made sure we didn't. He picked us up from our hostel and made sure he pointed things out on our boat trip up river.  We saw lots of birds, monkeys and our highlight was a close encounter with a sloth. Norman always took great care and let us stop to take as many photos as we wanted. Another nice touch was the tubing down river he organised on the last day.

Food and water was plentiful. Food was good and geared towards western tastes.

Accommodation was basic but comfortable. Beds comfy with mosquito nets. Best nights sleep I've had on my 8 month South America trip. Sleeping with the sounds of the jungle is something I won't forget.

Bathrooms were clean and generally stocked with soap and toilet paper. Cold showers were nice in the hot jungle.

Mosquitos weren't as bad as we were expecting. But they are there in abundance. Avoid dark colours it attracts them.

We were told there was no electricity but there is a generator at night that runs for a few hours for dinner so you can charge batteries etc. They provide candles in the evening for you to use.

All the staff at the lodge were very friendly and pointed out animals and insects.

The lodge is a 3 hour ride up river. I believe Chalalan is the only one further upriver which is operated by the same community. We did not see any other tourists and were well away from the the other lodges.

They provide wellington/rain boots.

Cons

Rooms were not completely closed. Missing screens above the doors and ceilings. This meant that the room could be filled with insects. Although this did not bother us it could some people. The beds were covered with nets and no insects were able to get to us while we were sleeping. I believe the rooms will all be screened soon.

The cabins/lodges are a work in progress.....not all screened off so you are more vulnerable to insect bites while having dinner. Although I understand that they will be done soon, no idea on a time scale though.

Bathroom are not very private. People can see while having a shower and hear you using the toilet. Could do with some screens and a ceiling for more privacy.

Nothing to buy at the lodges. Would be good if there was some alcohol and insect repellent to buy there.

We did our research and went to numerous operators in Rurrenbaque. Those who want a crowded, dirty, drink fuelled trip with little consideration for the the plants or animals can go with the cheap mass tourists operators such as flecha or fluvial. There are more comfortable lodges (Chalalan) and others that offer similar service such as Mashaquipe or Bala.  But Madidi Jungle had the best in terms of all round value, communication and it's 3 hours up river well away from any other lodges. I think only Chalalan is further away.

We had a great experience and would definitely recommend them without hesitation. Big thank you to Alex, Norman and the team at Madidi Jungle for the personalised service we received.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank ultimatum

Dear friends,
Thank you very much for your nice and helpful post. For us, your opinion is always important as, in effects, the infrastructure of our lodge still in progress. During the last two months, at least we have been able to improve the water supplies from a clear water spring, the shower and bathroom walls have been raised, the dining area lays now on a wooden platform. Anyway the Lodge still needs improvements. We are very happy grateful for pointing out the characteristics of our services and staffs. Thank you very much for being our guests.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We booked a 4day/3night tour with this agency – a great decision! People were so friendly, food was absolutely great and we did a lot of interesting walks through the forest with our knowledgeable guide Rodrigo. Accomodation is simple but the beds are equipped with the best moskito-nets that we have ever seen: no holes at all! The shared bathrooms were always perfectly clean and at night slightly lighted with a oil-lamp.
Only bad thing was the trip to the lake for Piranha-fishing for an extra cost. There was too much wind and rain for going fishing. But even if it would have been perfect weather: the boats there look completely unsafe, we wouldn't have gone! We were happy that in the agency they agreed that we don't have to pay the extra costs for this tour.
Later, we went to a lagoon which was very close to the camp, were we fished Piranhas – this was the much better option!
We can absolutely recommend Maddidi Jungle Ecolodge – enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChMBK

Dear friends,
Thank you very much for your helpful post. We know the difficulties when visiting the beautiful Santa Rosa Lake, where canoes and dock maintenances is not part of our company. We are trying now to build up our own shore camp next to the lake with better canoes and facilities, thanks to your opinion, we will consider with more attention weather conditions when lake tours is schedule.
Thank you for your support.

Madidi Jungle Ecologde

#1 of 14 in Rurrenabaque
El Curichal Hostel
El Curichal Hostel
#2 of 14 in Rurrenabaque

Been to Madidi Jungle Ecolodge? Share your experiences!