“Ok”

Ranked #2 of 2 Edern B&B and Inns
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Ok”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Not as bad as previous reviews made out!! Our room was in need of a bit of work but overall it was fine for what we wanted, though it took an age to get hot water!! Breakfast was great! The play area was great for kids & the bar & lounge areas were nice! A bit of work on the rooms & it would be really good!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Russel E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Abergavenny
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Arrived on the Wednesday for the Welsh boys U15 golf championship on the Friday. Room very tied with a ensuite that looked like it had been put in by cowboys. No shower only a bath suitable for a child.Toilet was that cramped that you had to wedge yourself between the bath and the sliding door which was very comical when it came to use the loo paper. TV didn't work and very poor tea making facilities with no milk and only 2 tea bags. Booked an early breakfast with the owner for Friday morning which she said was no problem. Got up the next morning to find the breakfast room all locked up and no one about....so no breakfast for my son who was teeing off at 8am. I made the mistake of paying up front the night before....big mistake I don't think she had any intention of supplying a breakfast for us. So there you go make your own mind up on staying at this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Phil M

Travelers are raving about these Edern hotels

Bangor
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Booked in advance. Called in advance to say we had late dinner arrangements therefore wouldn't be arriving till late, the lady on the phone was nice and said that was all fine. The following morning a lady (I can only assume boss, owner??) quizzed us (unpleasantly) on what time we had arrived and we were late!!! If I hadn't been caught off guard I would have probably told her kindly that it was actually none of her business. I had paid in advance for our stay, I was told there was no rush back....rude! From the outside the hotel looked lovely and welcoming. The room was a bit old fashioned. Coffee cups, saucers and spoons had a lovely layer of dust on them, therefore no morning brew. I'm not usually very fussy about this sort of stuff but if I hadn't encountered my interrogation in the morning then I probably would have said it was an OK stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grady633
Exmouth
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Three confessions first...
a) I was with a Ramblers Group Holiday.
b) We stayed mid week, and there were no wedding parties, no discos, and for some of the time we seven were the only people staying.
c) In my past life I have actually owned a small hotel, and also been very, very closely involved in Inspection Schemes of Accommodation in England, albeit some years ago now.

Firstly the good, good points: The owners and staff. Very friendly, charming and helpful - couldnt have been more attentive. When showers and other things needed mending, they did their best to help. And the food was perfectly acceptable - and no small portions here!

And of course the location is a dream position. So near to the wonderful coast line and stunning hidden beaches.

But....
Oh dear, where to start? I cannot fathom why, oh why, things were as they were. In the reception area when we arrived, on the floor, was a tv, covered with dirt, accompanied by sundry tools, tins of paint, and the like. When we left 5 days later, guess what - they were still there. The rooms are 'basic' - very very dated indeed. As other reviewers have said, the towels werent the fluffiest, although in plentiful supply. No toiletries, of course, and worse still, no where in the bathroom to put anything. But my request for a room with a bath had been met, even if that meant that for a fatso like me, it was difficult to sit on the loo! Very comfortable bed, with good sheets, and again my reqest for blankets rather than a duvet was met willingly, which is more than can be said for many hotels.

Others have described the enormous function rooms and bars - obviously the main part of the business is now weddings etc. A lot of money has been spent on the property, but sadly not on the bedrooms! Lighting in my bedroom - and indeed on the landing was quite dim. Difficult to read except in bed!

I suspect that the ensuites were installed in the 70's or 80' - and it shows!

Above all, please, please, please, clean that hanging sign as you approach the hotel. It seemed to say 'we dont care' - which is actually not true!
Tons more i could say - but despite it all, iI would stay there again, for the warmth of the welcome.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank DevonBob
Wiltshire
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I'm writing this on behalf of my parents who stayed here a few weeks ago but I saw the room so I do know all to be true. My parents couldn't get in anywhere else, so booked here as they had availability - in August and no where else did - and you wonder why?

All points about bad service, dirty carpets, broken door handles is as has been already outlined in other reviews - the best bit however is the web site says 'indoor pool' so my parents asked where this was - and they were pointed in the direction of the bar - there it was - a pool table that was indoors!

Avoid this place.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank WiltshireHamCat
Wales
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Total con, described as country house hotel, reality : tired and outdated guest house reminiscent of seaside town / holiday camp 1960s. Stained carpets, loose wiring, archaic bathroom, flimsy curtains, tiny room situated over function room with loud music / karaoke till early hours and even for all that, not even cheap.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Barry, south Wales
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay as I was led to believe that it was a 5 star experience. Sadly, I was very disappointed with the reality of the situation. The hotel is obviously undergoing renovation, but everything seems to be done on the cheap. The room we stayed in was reminiscent of a 1970's sitcom with white melamine wardrobes and truly horrible carpet. The ensuite bathroom did not have any toiletries, and the towels were ancient and had been washed to oblivion. In fairness it was very clean, but it was like a caravan's bathroom with cheap plastic tiling. It didn't help that the toilet kept overflowing all night. The bed was very comfortable
Breakfast was adequate, but again, even the food was cheap quality - definitely not 5 star cuisine nor a luxury break. Carpets throughout were threadbare, and the sitting areas were full of sad 1970's style furniture.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edern
Bron Eifion Country House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Llanbedrog
The Old Rectory
The Old Rectory
#1 of 1 in Boduan

Been to Woodlands Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!