“Spiritually refreshing with fabulous food and service.”

Konoba Catovica Mlini
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Morinj
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Halfway between Kotor and Herceg Novi, in Boka Kotorska, lies a small town called Morinj. Morinj has been long known for its mills that used to grind olives and grains. But, time took its toll and the mills of Morinj, together with the old customs, were forgotten. 20 years ago Lazar Ćatović put a lot of work and love into the mill and the family house that has been in his family for over 200 years and turned them into a world-class tavern. What makes ĆATOVIĆA MLINI unique is Lazar’s idea to preserve the harmony and union that the local people and nature created together. All the work done at the tavern was conducted with respect to the local tradition and culture and with a careful choice of details. Thanks to his vision, the mill lives on. ĆATOVIĆA MLINI offers a safe haven from the rush of life, and time goes by just the way it suits you.
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Finding this restaurant was easy as it is signed with distinctive boards beside the road with clear directions. We were met by courteous staff and seated in a beautiful garden. The garden has a 'japanese' feel with understated planting, bridges and pools with fish. The service is probably the best I have ever had- attentive but unobtrusive. The food was stunning- prawn bouzarra; toadfish with a salmon sauce; toadfish with provencal sauce and I had the fish platter. Totally gorgeous. The price was quite high for Montenegro but reasonable if you think about restaurants in UK. I would go there again and again.
Thank you- Catovica Mlini for a wonderful experience.

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We have visited here on a few occasions and each time the food and service is excellent. The location either day or night is quite amazing, set as it is in an converted flour mill amidst towering mountains and bubbling streams.

Our last visit was to celebrate a birthday and it was a lovely evening. We shared a seafood flatter to start - anchovies wrapped around olives; seafood risotto; tuna salad; fish pate and another fish item I have forgotten. This was served with a basket of freshly baked warm bread and their signature dressing served in a sauceboat of sunflower oil, finely chopped garlic and chopped parsley. I have attempted to make this on my return home but it is never quite the same. I could just eat this dressing and the bread and be in nirvana!!

For main course, I had the Seafood Bouzzara (think that is correct spelling!) which essentially is a plate of amazingly fresh shellfish i.e. prawns, clams, mussels and toadfish. The latter I have never eaten anywhere else, a real meaty fishy with knuckle bones rather than long thin bones. I cleared the plate, excellent choice. My husband had the Seafood Paella, a bit reticent as not a local dish but he was very impressed with the result. The flavours were fresh and again a cleared plate.

The portions are very good and did not leave us any room for dessert unfortunately. The service was professional and efficient. I would agree it is more expensive than other local dining experiences but you get what you pay for here.

Definitely a restaurant to experience if in this part of Montenegro.

1  Thank Howler4
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This place was amazing! Is in the little village of Morinj, overlooking the Bay of Kotor. The restaurant is surrounded by a beautiful garden, with small rivers and bridges, perfect for couples. The service is the best I found so far in Montenegro, fluent English speaking staff, extremely polite and very prepared on the menu.
The food is excellent, I`ve got Medaillons in mushroom sauce and a mushroom soup as a starter, I enjoyed every bite of it!
Is a bit expensive for local prices, but it`s really worth it, you won`t be disappointed!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

3  Thank CrnaGora26
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I went there a couple of years ago. The restaurant is an old mills with a stream running though it. It is the best restaurant I have been to in Montenegro. The food was very good. The service was outstanding. Everything about this place is beautiful. I will be in Montenegro at the beginning of July and will definitely go there again

2  Thank MarkCognevich
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Amazing surroundings! The best is to arrive before it starts to get dark to make nice photos and just walk around. Everything was tasty, the service was fast and very pleasant. I found it to be a bit expensive vs. what we thought it will be. Definitely not regretting any moment we spent there.

TIP to get there: on the road you see weird looking (that's what we thought) sign with a fish. Then you are led to the restaurant.

4  Thank SaClaus