“Best Shrimp Truck” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shrimp Shack
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Punaluu
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast Food, Hawaiian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Tavares, Florida
“Best Shrimp Truck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

There are many shrimp food trucks in Hawaii but this one is the best.
They also give you plenty to eat when you order. They also had homemade crab cakes ( their own recipe) which were outstanding.

1 Thank W O

• Korean first
Everett, Washington
“Can't miss the yellow truck!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Food was average but love the truck and the tables right on the highway and the guest book was my favorite part.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was in Oahu for a convention, and took a couple of days afterward to explore the rest of the island. I read about the Shrimp Shack food truck in Hawaii's Best Restaurant Guide about 10 minutes before it closed (5 p.m.), so I high-tailed it over, since I was staying nearby in Hauulu, and just barely made it. They have a big yellow truck with lots of decoration on it parked by the road and by Ching's, a dusty little store painted red, right across the street from the ocean, with a couple of lime green Adirondack chairs by the truck, and a small painted table in front of Ching's that's big enough for about four people. The experience was wonderful, and so was the food. One of the owners looks like Sue, the scheming P.E. teacher on Glee, but she's quite the opposite - she couldn't have been more relaxed about fixing up a meal for me (solo) at what should have been the end of their day. She explained the menu, suggested things to order, and was very friendly and welcoming (which is especially nice when you're traveling alone). I ordered the garlic shrimp, mild, and a guava-strawberry float (I happen to love guava, and it's so fresh on the island that it's doubly good). Luckily for me, the table opened up, and I joined a Hawaiian couple who had biked in. The food was cooked right away, so no waiting. Both the food and the company were great - a true Hawaiian feel to it, easy-going, friendly and relaxed, with enjoyable conversation, and the view just added another dimension. The shrimp is served over rice with plenty of sauce (kind of a garlic/spice oil) that seeps into the rice. She (Ms. Glee) came over and asked how I liked it, and I mentioned that it was hotter than I expected for mild (which just meant that I ate it more slowly, and the yummy guava float was even more appreciated). She was very concerned, brought me some water right away, and offered to make me another meal (which I didn't take - I've never had as much concern about a meal anywhere that I've eaten, so it was appreciated, but not needed). Even though it was a bit hot, it tasted scrumptious. The shrimp, which you peel (so be prepared for messy hands), was very fresh and delicious, and I'm particular about seafood. This was truly memorable, and if I'm ever there again, I'll head for the Shrimp Shack! If you're comfortable with a very casual atmosphere, put on your flip flops and enjoy it. I ate at a different food truck the following night, which wasn't nearly as interesting.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Deborah A
Toronto, Canada
“Very good shrimp and mahi mahi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I was on my way to giovinni and decided to try another seafood truck so i can compare it. Shrimp shack had fresher shrimp. I think this is a better choice if u like seafood food trucks.

1 Thank Musumekiller
“Genuinely disappointed !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I am sad to write a negative review for a place I was looking forward to trying ever since I planned our vacation to Oahu but the reality is It Was Disapponting.
I saw them featured on unique eats and was craving their shrimp all the way over but when we got it the shrimp was not deveined therefore you are eating the feces of you little bottom feeding garlic coated shrimp! Yuk! And good luck cleaning it out yourself. The garlic was plentiful but undercooked therefore not the golden caramalized goodness shown on TV. I did try the mahi mahi and that was delicious.
But sad to say that I made their shrimp better at home following their own recipie! On the other hand We tried Giovanni's shrimp scampi and we just can't get enough of it...look for a graffiti covered truck in a sketchy picnic area in Old Town Haleiwa. Don't let the atmosphere there fool you...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Been to Shrimp Shack? Share your experiences!