All reviewsnorth shorewasher and dryerroad noisethe polynesian cultural centerhighly recommend this unitkey fobclean unitprivate beachbbq areasnorkel gearboogie boardshonolulu areagranite countertopsking size bednight lifelounge chairsfull kitchen
Reviewed May 21, 2010

First of all, I want to thank Kathy for the privilege of staying at this location. She was a pleasure to deal with on the phone; she was very efficient in sending the documents that I needed to read and sign, she made all of the terms very clear before I decided to sign. As for the experience of staying there, all I can say is WOW!!! This property is located in a prime spot on the north shore of Oahu, it has a private beach area which was very nice (I saw a sea turtle nearby on the beach one night that was laying her eggs, another first for me) a spectacular view of the ocean and the mountains inland across Kamehameha Highway (Highway 83), it's very conveniently located near the Polynesian Cultural Center, several beach parks are a short drive from the condo building, the city of Kaneohe isn't far away with a nice mall and other places of interest .(Check out the Ho'omaluhia Botanical Gardens) The main attraction for me to this location was the friendly locals that I dealt with. I truly felt the true spirit and meaning of aloha while I stayed here. By the way, I stayed in unit 708, which was recently refurbished with copper sinks and faucet fixtures, tiled floors, nice furniture, a comfy bed, everything that you need in the way of eating utensils, cleaning supplies, dishes, etc. I even found personal hygiene items, sunblock, and first aid items (which I needed since I somehow got a nasty blister on my toe from walking the beach too much!) in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. No loud, rowdy behavior is allowed here; quiet time is from 8:00 PM to 7:00 AM and it's enforced since some of the building supervisors as well as private residents live in the same building. The units have a washer and dryer with laundry supplies provided; no common laundry area that you might find in hotels, and no waiting in line for someone else to finish their laundry). In other words, I felt at home. Just one word of warning: NO SMOKING! This includes the balcony (lanai) and areas close to the building. Oh yeah, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat! Mahalo to everyone who made my experience here a peaceful, relaxing one.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Ron P
Reviewed February 25, 2010

When we travel, we want to stay in local areas and not commercial areas like Honolulu and Wakiki Beach. Our first trip to Oahu, we stayed in a cottage in a very local area on the North Shore, which was great. But we never made it to the windward side of the island so decided to check it out for this eight-day vacation. I searched online for a cottage on the beach, and did we discover a gem at Pat’s at Punalu’u—location, accommodations, and price wise. We stayed in the Hawaiian Sunrise Beach Cottage (HSBC), which is on the second floor of a four-plex behind Pat’s at Punalu’u high rise condominiums (HRC) and on the ocean. I was so excited when we walked in and found that the pictures on HSBC’s website, http://www.hawaiiansunrisebeachcottage.com/, were a true representation. We truly had breath-taking views of the ocean, and the cottage was light and airy with good furnishings and supplies.

This family vacation included my husband, me, and our two adult sons, ages 24 and 26, and we found the cottage to have plenty of room. I urge everyone to thoroughly explore all cabinets, drawers, and closets upon first arriving. We kind of did, but we kept finding beach items and cottage and kitchen supplies for our use—even after we had bought a few things! For local shopping, there is Kaya’s, a convenience store that my husband walked to each morning to purchase a paper and where we really enjoyed the lunches. Just about 10 minutes up the road in Hauula is a little strip mall with a grocery store, post office, pizza place, and, best of all, Papa Ole’s restaurant. It has a great local atmosphere and, even better, great food.

We loved being able to just pad barefooted each morning to the beach to enjoy the sunrises. The beach was never crowded and great for taking long beach walks. Other than using the HRC’s dumpsters, we never really felt the presence of the HR condominium. As other reviews noted, there is an odor in the front of the HRC so women, if you have a man staying with you, make sure that he takes out the trash like I had my husband do : ) And the parking space is a little tight, but my husband patiently pulled our rented jeep in and out, and it worked. And the laundry facilities, though outside in a storage closet, are wonderful. Because the washer and dryer are stacked, I thought that they would be small, but they have a very large capacity. We would definitely pack lighter on a next trip and do more laundry.

This condo is a great location for accessing all parts of the island. We never used the bus, but there is a stop right at Pat’s at Punalu’u. We traveled to Honolulu and Wakiki, the North Shore, Kailua and area with little effort other than some driving time. And a lot of the drive along the windward side between Punalu’lu and Kailua goes along the beach—beautiful drive and all sorts of beaches to check out.

This review is to try to give you a real sense of the Hawaiian Sunrise Beach Cottage so I haven’t gone into many details about Oahu. But I can tell you it is the only vacation spot that we have ever visited twice, and I’m hoping for a third time. If I’m successful, I’m sure going to try to rent this cottage again.

• Stayed: February 2010
2  Thank lammac
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I just finished my second stay at Pat's I will share my opinions on both stays which were at exactly the same time of year. We think this is by far the lushed area of the island. Windward feels the most hawiian to us. As others have said it's not a really built up are like the other side of the island so don't expect fancy restraunts, ect. You can get what you need though.The other side of the island is easy accessable and only takes 30-45 min depending on traffic to get to so we do a day or two over there then escape back to our calmer lil' piece of paradise the rest of the trip. Our GPS helped greatly! The building itself is a little dated and in just ok cond. They do have security, and a small cold pool. Cold is not so bad when you want to cool down before bed! The beach is narrow but absolutely georgoeus!!!! The snorkeling off the beach is not good though, just lots of sea weed. Once we had a turtle visit the beach. Oh, the workout room is a law suit waiting to happen, nothing was safe in there so I wouln'd use it!
This trip we stayed in the main building in a 4th floor until owned by Heidi Hawaii. It was an amazing value. The view was very good as long as you don't look down, then it's just roof. The condo was imaculately cleaned and had a nice balcony to eat on. She went out of her way to provide us with a few nice extra goodies we asked for like boogie boards for near by pounders beach (super fun!) and beach chairs. This condo was very nicely updated and well decorated. It had basic amenities like basic cable ect, and has a washer dryer in the unit. I really wanted to like this condo better than the cottages and at first sight I loved it, but as time went on I realized that even though it was nicer it was much warmer the codos do not have many windows. Also parking for the unit is not designated so every trip to the car was a jaunt to the far end of the lot. It was closer to the road which we felt was very noisy. There are also several wild roosters across the street that started to crow around 4:30 Hawaiian time each morning (7:30).I had hoped to sleep in a little on vacation but the roosters wern't gonna let me! We got close to our normal amount of sleep time but between the noise and heat it wasn't quality time so I was pretty tierd the second half of the trip. I feel bad because Heidi is great and these are things she would have no control over but it's my honest opinion. Great place for early riseres who want very clean!
Our first stay was in a cottage owned by Pat something, not the same Pat but it was called sunrise cottage I think. It was decorated cute, kinda surfer style, average condition. It was clean, Everything was freshly laundered and nice, we did have some small ants but it was just a second floor unit nad the close to ground the more likely you'll see a few bugs. Getting a washer/dryer was a problem while we there because 1 was broken so they were being shared a lot and are not your private set! It had designated parking close by. There was no balcony or patio for this unit and it's not as secure as the main building where you need a key fob to get into the elevator. On the other hand it's super easy to get to the beach just one flight and your there! The unit has lots of windows everywhere so the windward breezes can really get in and keep you cool and the wonderful view is right on the beach no looking past, over or around anything at all! The bed was very nice and comfy not you typical hotel firm matress. The condo was well stocked with toys, books, beach supplies ect.
All pat's units are individually owned and operated so all are going to be different.The building itself is nothing special but where it sits is very special. For us the codo was more comfortable and once we got over not feeling as secure we were very comfortable but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone safety paranoid or easy freaked out by a few bugs, not for the uptight lot. The Heidi hawaii unit was nicely done, a better deal $$, and super clean but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone very morning noise or heat sensitive because even though I liked it better I wasn't comfortable. Do your homework and find the unit that's what you need but don't miss out because it's a incredible place to be! I will go again and again.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mickispix
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Our stay at Pat's is a pleasant one so far. The beach out front is a wonderful beach and we seem to end our day at our own beach rather than stay an extended time at any other beaches on the north shore. The snorkeling is okay, with the water not quite as clear as Shark's Cove and 3 Tables. It's rare to see anyone else on this stretch of beach. We have seen Sea Turtles between 3pm and 5pm each day swimming just offshore.

There is an above ground septic field just west of the parking lot, between the parking lot and the road that smells when you pull up and park, but due to the wind off the ocean, it's never been an issue in our 4th floor condo.

The security here is excellent, you need an electronic key to open the elevator and to proceed to your floor. There is nothing around that made me feel unsafe.

The pool is 3 feet to 6 feet deep and our boys enjoy it every night. It is open until 8pm. Sometimes the pool light is off and they enjoy that "night" feeling of the pool. It is gated to prevent toddlers from wandering into the pool and it requires the same electronic "key" to enter as the elevator.

Pat's central location is excellent for Oahu, 25 minutes to Haleiwa, 35 mintues to Kailua, and 45 minutes to Honolulu. The groceries are cheaper up here than they are in Kailua (We were astonished to find that wine and hard liquor were sometimes 1/2 as cheap up here than Kailua!)

You will never tire of the drive along the Ocean front. There are no fewer than a dozen beaches between here and Haleiwa.

The condo we had has a full sized washer/dryer and the owner is a wonderful person that made sure we had everything we needed. The double Lanai is a real plus and the sunrises in the morning are worth getting up early for!

The weather is typically partly cloudy, with rain showers now and then in August, but just wait about 10 minutes when it rains, the sun will be out soon!

The BBQ area is sort of a pain, as you have to walk to the end of the building to use it, so be prepared to spend some time with a cocktail when you go down to cook your food.:)

There was no air conditioner in our room, but don't worry, the trade winds blow consistently and just open the Lanai door, it keeps the condo plenty cool! The owner had a large fan in the bedroom which was sufficient to keep us cool at night.

For the price, we thought this condo was great for our budget and the kids love it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Ripsnort
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We just got back from staying at this condo building. The condo is in the "country" part of Oahu. The building was a bit run down and the property is not kept up well. The condo we rented was nice but used looking. The views of ocean are amazing. I wasn't too happy with whoever was cleaning our condo. I wasn't sure if the sheets on the beds were clean and washed (so I washed them myself) and there were cobwebs and small spiders in basically every corner. There were even cobwebs on the decor and candles in the kitchen. We had some problems with ants in the kitchen and bath. There is no a/c but there is a floor fan and a ceiling fan in the bedroom.

The things I did like was everything you needed for your stay was provided in our condo: beach toys, beach chairs, towels, boogie boards, iron, hair dryer, detergent and everything you needed to cook in the kitchen. The patio door lock broke while we were there and the owner had it fixed the next day. The beach was great too.

This isn't a resort quality condo but if you're lookng for a moderate place to stay with access to a pool and the beach then this is the place for you. Remember this condo is on the Windward part of the island-- it is quite breezy.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family