Pat's at Punalu'u
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore(Laie)(Great Value!)
$273
$219
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii(Kaneohe)(Great Value!)
$316
$259
$219
$134
$119
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$169
Ala Moana Hotel
  • Pool
All reviewsnorth shoreminute drivewasher and dryerroad noisethe polynesian cultural centerhighly recommend this unitkey fobclean unitbbq areasnorkel gearevery morningboogie boardshonolulu areagranite countertopsgreat condoking size bednight life
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I just finished my second stay at Pat's I will share my opinions on both stays which were at exactly the same time of year. We think this is by far the lushed area of the island. Windward feels the most hawiian to us. As others have said it's not a really built up are like the other side of the island so don't expect fancy restraunts, ect. You can get what you need though.The other side of the island is easy accessable and only takes 30-45 min depending on traffic to get to so we do a day or two over there then escape back to our calmer lil' piece of paradise the rest of the trip. Our GPS helped greatly! The building itself is a little dated and in just ok cond. They do have security, and a small cold pool. Cold is not so bad when you want to cool down before bed! The beach is narrow but absolutely georgoeus!!!! The snorkeling off the beach is not good though, just lots of sea weed. Once we had a turtle visit the beach. Oh, the workout room is a law suit waiting to happen, nothing was safe in there so I wouln'd use it!
This trip we stayed in the main building in a 4th floor until owned by Heidi Hawaii. It was an amazing value. The view was very good as long as you don't look down, then it's just roof. The condo was imaculately cleaned and had a nice balcony to eat on. She went out of her way to provide us with a few nice extra goodies we asked for like boogie boards for near by pounders beach (super fun!) and beach chairs. This condo was very nicely updated and well decorated. It had basic amenities like basic cable ect, and has a washer dryer in the unit. I really wanted to like this condo better than the cottages and at first sight I loved it, but as time went on I realized that even though it was nicer it was much warmer the codos do not have many windows. Also parking for the unit is not designated so every trip to the car was a jaunt to the far end of the lot. It was closer to the road which we felt was very noisy. There are also several wild roosters across the street that started to crow around 4:30 Hawaiian time each morning (7:30).I had hoped to sleep in a little on vacation but the roosters wern't gonna let me! We got close to our normal amount of sleep time but between the noise and heat it wasn't quality time so I was pretty tierd the second half of the trip. I feel bad because Heidi is great and these are things she would have no control over but it's my honest opinion. Great place for early riseres who want very clean!
Our first stay was in a cottage owned by Pat something, not the same Pat but it was called sunrise cottage I think. It was decorated cute, kinda surfer style, average condition. It was clean, Everything was freshly laundered and nice, we did have some small ants but it was just a second floor unit nad the close to ground the more likely you'll see a few bugs. Getting a washer/dryer was a problem while we there because 1 was broken so they were being shared a lot and are not your private set! It had designated parking close by. There was no balcony or patio for this unit and it's not as secure as the main building where you need a key fob to get into the elevator. On the other hand it's super easy to get to the beach just one flight and your there! The unit has lots of windows everywhere so the windward breezes can really get in and keep you cool and the wonderful view is right on the beach no looking past, over or around anything at all! The bed was very nice and comfy not you typical hotel firm matress. The condo was well stocked with toys, books, beach supplies ect.
All pat's units are individually owned and operated so all are going to be different.The building itself is nothing special but where it sits is very special. For us the codo was more comfortable and once we got over not feeling as secure we were very comfortable but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone safety paranoid or easy freaked out by a few bugs, not for the uptight lot. The Heidi hawaii unit was nicely done, a better deal $$, and super clean but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone very morning noise or heat sensitive because even though I liked it better I wasn't comfortable. Do your homework and find the unit that's what you need but don't miss out because it's a incredible place to be! I will go again and again.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mickispix
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Our stay at Pat's is a pleasant one so far. The beach out front is a wonderful beach and we seem to end our day at our own beach rather than stay an extended time at any other beaches on the north shore. The snorkeling is okay, with the water not quite as clear as Shark's Cove and 3 Tables. It's rare to see anyone else on this stretch of beach. We have seen Sea Turtles between 3pm and 5pm each day swimming just offshore.

There is an above ground septic field just west of the parking lot, between the parking lot and the road that smells when you pull up and park, but due to the wind off the ocean, it's never been an issue in our 4th floor condo.

The security here is excellent, you need an electronic key to open the elevator and to proceed to your floor. There is nothing around that made me feel unsafe.

The pool is 3 feet to 6 feet deep and our boys enjoy it every night. It is open until 8pm. Sometimes the pool light is off and they enjoy that "night" feeling of the pool. It is gated to prevent toddlers from wandering into the pool and it requires the same electronic "key" to enter as the elevator.

Pat's central location is excellent for Oahu, 25 minutes to Haleiwa, 35 mintues to Kailua, and 45 minutes to Honolulu. The groceries are cheaper up here than they are in Kailua (We were astonished to find that wine and hard liquor were sometimes 1/2 as cheap up here than Kailua!)

You will never tire of the drive along the Ocean front. There are no fewer than a dozen beaches between here and Haleiwa.

The condo we had has a full sized washer/dryer and the owner is a wonderful person that made sure we had everything we needed. The double Lanai is a real plus and the sunrises in the morning are worth getting up early for!

The weather is typically partly cloudy, with rain showers now and then in August, but just wait about 10 minutes when it rains, the sun will be out soon!

The BBQ area is sort of a pain, as you have to walk to the end of the building to use it, so be prepared to spend some time with a cocktail when you go down to cook your food.:)

There was no air conditioner in our room, but don't worry, the trade winds blow consistently and just open the Lanai door, it keeps the condo plenty cool! The owner had a large fan in the bedroom which was sufficient to keep us cool at night.

For the price, we thought this condo was great for our budget and the kids love it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Ripsnort
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We just got back from staying at this condo building. The condo is in the "country" part of Oahu. The building was a bit run down and the property is not kept up well. The condo we rented was nice but used looking. The views of ocean are amazing. I wasn't too happy with whoever was cleaning our condo. I wasn't sure if the sheets on the beds were clean and washed (so I washed them myself) and there were cobwebs and small spiders in basically every corner. There were even cobwebs on the decor and candles in the kitchen. We had some problems with ants in the kitchen and bath. There is no a/c but there is a floor fan and a ceiling fan in the bedroom.

The things I did like was everything you needed for your stay was provided in our condo: beach toys, beach chairs, towels, boogie boards, iron, hair dryer, detergent and everything you needed to cook in the kitchen. The patio door lock broke while we were there and the owner had it fixed the next day. The beach was great too.

This isn't a resort quality condo but if you're lookng for a moderate place to stay with access to a pool and the beach then this is the place for you. Remember this condo is on the Windward part of the island-- it is quite breezy.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank nicksmom99
Reviewed May 18, 2009

If you are looking for a 'real' Hawaiian experience away from the tourist traps of Waikiki, Pat's is a good place to stay. You will have a chance to experience the local flavour and people, who are very friendly. Our unit was great, but the gym was completely rusted out and unuseable, and the sauna was under repair. Great beach, almost completely deserted. Half hour to the north shore, 45 minutes to Honolulu. It is noticeably cooler than Honolulu (8-10 degrees) and much rainier, but it is very lush and tropical. The Ko'olau Mountains are gorgeous. Beware of the 5 AM roosters waking you up. If you expect luxury, don't stay here. If you wanta real native Hawaiian experience and don't mind getting up early, it's for you. Definitely in the affordable category.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelindaO67
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I'm a little late in my review but let me tell you we had a great time. We stayed in unit #715 which was very clean and updated. The bedroom was huge and the view of the ocean was fantastic from the 7th floor. The entrance side had fantastic views of the mountains. I would recommend one of the upper units. There is some noise from the highway but we didn't mind.
The building is very secure. The elevator is key activated and there is all night security. Most of the residents were retired so expect it to be quiet.
We loved the area too. There are a couple of grocery stores pretty close. We saved a lot of money prepping our own breakfast and such. It's great coming in after a long day and raiding the fridge.
We really didn't feel like we were missing anything by not staying at some of the more popular areas. They are not that far of a drive away. The week we stayed there was a very strong breeze all day and all night that kept us off the beach in front of Pat's.
I also enjoyed a nice jog every morning on Kamehameha Hwy. I really feel that this would be the area for an extended stay in the future.
Do your research when choosing a unit here. All units are different.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family