“Great condo in an okay location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pat's at Punalu'u

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punaluu
Pat's at Punalu'u
You added Pat's at Punalu'u to your Saves list
53-567 Kamehameha Hwy, Punaluu, Oahu, HI   |
Vancouver, Canada
“Great condo in an okay location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I just spent 6 days in suite #211 at Pat's at Punalu'u. We had a lovely visit and will definitely recommend to any friends/family going to Oahu and looking for an affordable, beach-front place to stay. Our only word of caution would be that you have to be prepared to spend some time in your vehicle as the location is not exactly very central.

We rented from 'HeidiHawaii'. We found Heidi to be very lovely to deal with! Though, I will admit, I was a bit nervous sending her a Bank Draft for the deposit and eventual remanding balance. You hear about scams on the internet all the time, after all! She does almost everything by mail (prefers not to use paypal/credit cards), and I was concerned that maybe I was about to be ripped off. Her awesome Facebook page & website helped to put my mind at ease though… and I am happy to report that she IS a real person, her unit DOES exist, and it IS a great place to stay. So, if you're worried like I was-- I hope that calms some of your fears :)

The beach that the building is located on is quite nice. It's not very big, but there is good snorkelling, it's private and peaceful, and overall just a good beach-spot. Wake up early and take yourself on a walk in the sand as the sun comes up-- what a treat!

Our unit (again, #211) was a bit dated, but still very comfortable and well appointed. We had absolutely everything we needed for our stay. It was SO nice to have a full kitchen at our disposal as we ate at least one meal a day in, the washer and dryer meant that we didn't go home with a suitcase of dirty clothes, and the view from the balcony was unbeatable.

The only 2 downsides:::

As for the building itself-- it's old… Don't expect the lap of luxury. There seems to be a damp/sewery smell that wafts up from certain spots of the parking lot…. This wasn't a deal breaker for us, as it wasn't all the time. We simply reminded ourselves that we are in an older building in a tropical climate. Things deteriorate in situations like these and it just comes with the territory. If you are sensitive to smells though, I suggest checking out newer, more high-end accommodations.

The other downside is the location:: While it's spot on the beach is great, it's spot relative to the rest of the island & stuff to do is not the best. Expect a 20-30 minute drive to anything in the North Shore, and a 45+ minute drive to anything in the South. At times we found the location a bit limiting and frustrating. We'd want to go do something in the evenings, but not necessarily want to spend an hour+ (round trip) in the car that night.

Don't get me wrong-- it's EXTREMELY peaceful up there, and there are some great dining options nearby. You're not in the middle of nowhere… you just also aren't in the thick of things either.

We had a lovely stay at Pat's at Punaluu and would definitely consider going back! :)

Room Tip: Each unit is individually owned and operated. Some are recently renovated, some are not. Browse arou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tamara B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I rented Condo #315. The condo was very nice, clean, and had new appliances. The king-size bed was comfortable, and the flat-screen TV was great. Our one small complaint would be the sofa, which wasn't very comfortable, but the view off of the large lanai was fantastic and definitely made up for it. This is a very quiet, low-key complex, which we appreciated after three days in Waikiki. A good value for the price, especially in such a lovely part of Oahu.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeoGirl50
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

The condo is small, but it worked just fine for the two of us. The views from the balcony, (lanai) mountains to the north and ocean on the east were amazing! Every morning the sunrise was more beautiful than the morning before. One night there was a storm out at sea, and the sky put on a show for us. Each day a turtle would pop its head out of the ocean as if to say hello. We even saw a pod of whales go by. The full moon shining on the ocean with palm trees swaying in the wind was indescribable! Peaceful and calming, just what we needed after a stressful year.

All in all, The condo is a good value, the area is far from the crowds, no crowded beaches, easy access to local and GOOD restaurants, and a supermarket is 5 minutes away. The Polynesia Cultural Center is just a short drive away and it's not too far to the Dole Plantation and the North Shore area.

Oahu is a stunning island, around very corner is a photo opportunity, especially for an Ohioian.

Now the reason I gave this unit a 4 rating, is cleanliness. We noticed first, the floor was swept but not clean, we cleaned it. The stove still had food residue (rice) between it and the counter. We cleaned it. After a long (13) hour flight the last thing you want to do is clean.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank LarryDouglas1001
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Enjoyed our stay in condo #605. We loved that it was so QUIET at this complex. Relaxation and quiet is my idea of Hawaii, not Waikiki...so this was great for me. Very clean unit, perfect oceanfront location. Beach was lovely, though small. Downfall: road noise from the bedroom (alcove).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kateroo86
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed in #409 (owned and managed by Kaye and Brian, who live 4 miles away) from 12/30/13 - 01/05/14. We arrived late and tired but Kaye's instructions were good and we got into the room - and then basked in the gentle sound of the surf a hundred feet in front of us. It's a 1bd/1bth but there are two separate bathroom sink areas so it feels roomy. It's a much nicer unit than most in terms of its configuration, light, and large lanai. Bathroom has a tub. Bedroom has a door (it's not just an alcove pretending to be a bedroom). The room was very clean and Kaye and Brian provide lots of small, nice touches to make their renters feel comfortable. Smallish flat panel TV, Internet/wi-fi included (a little slow sometimes), DVD player, two-sided lanai (very roomy), parking space included. There's an exercise room and a pool - pool not heated. The place is quiet-ish and everything in the vicinity moves at a relaxing pace. Sure, Pat's at Punaluu is a bit tired-looking but c'mon, this is the county and if you want Waikiki glitz, you know where YOU can go. I'll probably return - and if I do I'll be sure to stay in Unit 409.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank BossMartian
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I rated this place average based on the facility itself not the condo unit we stayed in. Unit 314 was outstanding, modern feel, newer remodel, nice sized lanai, comfortable bed, the bathroom was a little small but that's not a big deal. For the price, this was an outstanding bargain for a place with a great view right on the beach.

The reasons for the average rating (and there's nothing wrong with average) The facility itself is showing a lot of age, there were some reviews of a smell in the parking lot and traffic noise. Well, depending on the day, yes there was an odor from their septic system. Did I it ruin our trip...absolutely not. I can see some people overreacting to it though. It was faint and we never smelled it in the room.

The traffic noise wasn't much of a bother either. You'd hear the occasional siren, but you'll hear that pretty much anywhere on an island.

The grounds were clean, the pool was basic. There's a sliver of beach you can lay on that's not very busy.

Keep in mind this isn't a resort. All the condo units are privately owned and a lot of people live here full time. Every condo unit will vary in quality so shop around. Like I said 314 was outstanding.

Overall Its a nice quiet location to stay at, at a great price. If you expect resort like amenities you'll be disappointed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stevo428
Glenwood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I would recommend staying at a unit owned by HeidiHawaii. She personally owns, manages and cleans her condos. My unit was on the second floor and looked out at the beautiful ocean. Great for the drive to BYUH which is where I mostly went to get my son all set for school. The elevators seem new, and very safe, with a security swipe needed to go up and down. Security 24 hours in the parking lot, and very friendly. My unit, as almost all others here at Pats, have no a/c, so be aware. It does get hot and the "trade winds" did not really do much in the condo to cool me off. Luckily there are ceiling fans and other fans. I was there for the first week of September, so it was in the upper 80's daily. Heidi really has the place stocked. She provides soaps, laundry detergent, all beach gear needed: chairs, umbrella, coolers, beach towels, toys, masks and snorkels, reef shoes. It was really nice. I never smelled "the smell" I've seen mentioned. The trash dumpster is near the elevators, but big deal. It's trash. And the condo building is fine. It's freshly painted and kept up. I don't know what people are saying about the exterior... I mean, are they planning to lick the walls? Go with Pats, and go with a condo by HeidiHawaii. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Momof7MD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punaluu
Waikiki
Halekulani Hotel
Halekulani Hotel
#3 of 83 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 stars 2,231 reviews
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 stars 2,764 reviews

Been to Pat's at Punalu'u? Share your experiences!