“The most wonderful place”
Review of Drybeck Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Armathwaite
Drybeck Farm
Harlech, United Kingdom
“The most wonderful place”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just returned from 4 nights in Evelyn.

Arrived intending vaguely to do some exploration of the area. In the end, we pretty much sat in the field, caravan and semi outdoor kitchen for 4 days.

We ventured to the local pub once (very good beer - I'm always dubious about Robinsons due to traumatic early memories of my local pub, but was proved very wrong by two very good pints of Unicorn - and huge portions of not at all bad pub food in the Fox and Pheasant). Then we went back and sat in the field.

The hot tub was great (and yes, very hot), the amble along the river with the mutt was fabulous, the sausages and bacon were (apparently) rather tasty and the hosts were vey tolerant of our " and another thing" requests. (Thanks, Steve!)

Absolutely loved it. As did the dog, who is currently settling into his normal low level depression as he no longer has a caravan to sit outside.

Will possibly try a yurt next time as by night 4 both of us (people not dog) were beginning to get vague grumbles from our lower backs from the rather cosy sleeping arrangement in the caravan.

For other people - and having read the one rather mixed review on here - I would say that you probably need to actually like camping (albeit extremely comfortable camping) if you want to enjoy Drybeck Farm. It's not a hotel in a field. I had no mobile reception for the whole time I was there, which was no hardship for me, but would probably throw some people into complete panic. It also helps if you are comfortable with the concept of the composting loo. Everything, pretty much, is recycled and reused wherever possible here, including making use of visitors' well rotted pooh in the veg garden.

For those of you who grew up with parents who had a copy of The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency on their book shelves and who can count a few (now pretty much retired) New Age traveller types amongst their friends (I could until I typed that) it's a fabulous place that you'll probably love. For those who think that wellies are a fashion item and own a wedge heeled bright pink pair, then it possibly isn't quite what you're after from a holiday destination.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShellyD44

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Congleton, Cheshire
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have just returned from the Gypsy caravan at Drybeck Farm and had an absolutely fantastic weekend, one of the best we've ever had in fact.
There are too many great points to list, but a combination of TOTAL relaxation, tranquility, warm hosts and great food from on the farm made it very difficult to drag ourselves away after our 3 night stay.
You can get as involved as you want to, but we made the most of it by feeding the animals, catching the train on the Settle-Carlisle line, hiring the hot tub (HOT) and swimming in the river (COLD)!!! There are decent pubs either a stroll or a bike ride away too.
Steve and Paula made us feel completely at ease, and a special mention to John for taking time out of his days to talk us through the realities of life on the farm.
It really was a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back. Can't recommend it enough - just go!!!

www.drybeckfarm.co.uk

Room Tip: We loved the caravan, very cosy!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew W
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife, teenage daughter and I arrived late but we were greeted with a warm welcome and the log burner was already ablaze in our yurt. Not being campers, we did appreciate the electric light and 2 electric sockets. After a full tour which included a well equipped kitchen area with everything we needed including an overhead heater. The showers and the compost toilet. (not my favorite part of the holiday, I must confess) but everything on the site was eco friendly, with water from the showers being used to feed the allotment, to electricity being powered by solar panels. There was also a hot tub available at an extra cost.

We awoke the next day to a breakfast basket with home made bread, bacon eggs and sausage from the farm. We made it stretch to 2 breakfasts and an evening meal.

The location was idyllic with a slow running river. My daughter and I braved the cold and had a swim with our dog Millie watching on the bank. We ended the evening around a campfire.

Nearby there's a lovely undercover river walk which the dog liked.

All in all we loved the whole experience and would highly recommend Drybeck Farm.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vandannie
Richmond, North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My partner & I have just returned from a weekend at Drybeck Farm. A warm welcome and a guided tour to settle us in then left in peace to enjoy the beautiful surroundings. We stayed in Evelyn, a gypsy caravan which was compact but comfortable. With the outside cooking/eating facilities, the home bred breakfast hamper and the geese to keep us entertained we had time to relax. We were very fortunate with the weather too. Would recommend Drybeck Farm for anyone wanting to escape for a few days - I am already trying to work out when we can go back :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria H
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Me and boyfriend recently went to stay at drybeck farm in the croglin yurt, and were pleasantly surprised.
Upon arrival Steve gave us a guided tour and made us feel very welcome.
The setting of the surrounding area is beautiful with views out over the river you can quite happily sit and watch the world go by.
The room was stunning and we slept very well. I would recommend taking some books and board games on an evening.
The cooking facilities were brilliant and so were the showers. Warning if you're a little squeamish then maybe the composting toilets aren't for you. However if you've been to festivals they're heavenly in comparison.
Overall we both had a fab time and are eager to recommend it to family and friends. And cannot wait to book out next trip.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I visited Drybeck farm with my sister and friends for a weekend break. Having never been glamping before, I was overwhelmed by the cosy yurts, homely kitchen area and stunning scenery. The hot tub was opulent and attention to detail breath taking.

Steve and Paula the hosts couldn't have been more warm and welcoming, and were happy to help in anyway they could to make our stay the best it could be.

Delicious home grown food including organic farm reared meat is available to buy for your dinner. Some of the farm workers also treated my friends to a woodwork lesson. (I was too lazy, enjoying the surroundings with a cuppa instead.)

However, the most impressive thing at Drybeck farm is the ethos of the place and their commitment to preserving our environment. They deliver all of the above with complete respect to the beautiful environment that hosts you there.

Planning to go back already.

• Stayed May 2013
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have just returned having spent a few days at Drybeck Farm with my husband and the place is an absolute joy. We stayed in a beautifully decorated, luxurious yurt which had a great woodburning stove which made it increadibly cosy, and a really comfortable bed. The kitchen/dining facilities are amazing, and, along with the yurt are situated right next to the beautiful and tranquil river Eden. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and the quality of the meat which they produce on the farm is outstanding - you'll never find anything of that standard in any supermarket!. In the evening we treated ourselves to a bottle of wine in the hot tub, which (and I have to disagree with the previous review) was worth every penny. We will definately be going back to Drybeck, probably in the autumn as the trees along the river will be amazing. Thank you for one of the best & most beautiful places we've ever been to. Mrs K Rimmer, Wigan

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Armathwaite
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Drybeck Farm? Share your experiences!