“Needs refining”

and 1 more site!
The Curious Pig in the Parlour
Ranked #3 of 3 Copthorne B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Booked a table for 8pm for a group of a 6 friends. Lovely place outside and in. Went to bar before our table, ordered a btl of Pinot Grigio, advised this had sold out, so we ordered the house wine which was rather nice. We sat at our table and looked at the Sunday roast menu (2 courses £15 or 3 for £18), we decided to go with that. Staff came to take order, advising us that ALL roasts had sold out due to popular demand. (Why give us the sunday roast menu then??) This left us of a choice of 4 mains, pizza menu or expensive steak menu. The food when it arrived was very good and served in a timely manner. Ordered 2nd bottle of house wine ; guess what none left of that either. Offered feedback to staff and was advised of a supplier issue (ongoing theme here).
Great food, staff ok and lovely place but certainly needs tweaking.
I will give another try and hope this was a one off.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank djwill74

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Came here in 18th July for a meal with work. We had a lovely evening. thank you. Very Modern, happy staff and food was delicious, well prepared, cooked and beautifully well presented.
Was quite pricey but we got what we paid for without being disappointed. Everything we ordered they had in stock.
The garden is beautiful and very large. With areas for small groups.
Our only criticism is that we ordered a table for 6 people and they reserved one for 4, so we ended up sitting on a bench table which was slightly uncomfortable and squashed in rows of seats with no backs!!!
I can't wait to return again and bring my family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Cghills
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just arrived from a stay here. Check in was pathetic. Staff did not know what they were doing on the minute reception desk. The room had a fan but no air con. The room was really small and stuffy. For £95 per night I expected a lot more, especially from a newly refurbed place. The food was ok, but took ages for the desert. Three people came in the restaurant and had eaten their main course AFTER I had ordered my desert. Drinks were again overpriced. To top all of this, I went to breakfast in the morning only to be told there was no bacon? I was the first in and asked if there would be some later to which I received a no? When I said I would have a cooked breakfast without bacon, I wasmtold i would have to pay extra on top of the £95 for the night? I was disgusted to be charged these rates for a pub, albeit near Gatwick? The place is full because it is new and there is little choice in the area currently, however the prices are not sustainable in my opinion. I stay in the area on business regularly but will not stay here again. The only way is down for this place as there are better hotels at better rates including breakfast with better staff and rooms. Overall it was a rip off with incompetent staff and average overpriced fayre.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank queenie142
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The restaurant and gardens look great - quirky decor and furniture make a great initial impression.
Unfortunately the service and some of the food wasn't up to scratch and the restaurant wasn't even full.

The serving staff didn't appear to be assigned to particular tables/areas and through the course of the meal we were served by 5 different people, some of which had a very lackadaisical attitude and were unclear on what food they were bringing to the table.

There were also a number of items off the menu due to a supplier failure and a 50 minute wait for our ribeye steaks, which had to be sent back as they were clearly not 10 oz and were cremated, despite requesting medium rare.

Needless to say we won't be going back, unless it's just for a drink in the garden.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LHWestSussex
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Booked a table online for 6:45, from memory the 6:30 and later were full,

On arrival the car park was packed and only 2 maybe 3 spaces left,

Due to the weather a large number of people had descended to make use of the large and well maintained garden, The restaurant itself was not very full which made me wonder about the time before our booking not being available.

Staff were very pleasant, And I suspect at some point during the day out number the guest.

Prices were okay, what you would normally expect to pay for the area and quality of food.

duck skewers were a little over done and had a burnt taste to them, Everything else was very nice indeed,

The Creamed spinach seems to be always missing of the menu, which did make me chuckle as someone had bet me that this would be the case.

I still do not understand why I am expected to eat my dinner off a floor board, I blame Jamie Oliver for this happening.

On the Whole very nice indeed and we will be returning in the next few weeks.

Room Tip: They do not have a pool or a gym, No idea why these option are on here....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mark m
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great garden bar. plenty of tables. Inside also very comfortable and friendly busy spacious pub. Accommodation available too. the whole pub recently refurbished so looking light. airy and modern. Staff very friendly and obviously enjoying their work place. The only problem is the accommodation suffers from being near the Gatwick flight path, noisy flights early in the morning. Busy road too

Room Tip: Chose a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alastair S
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked this Hotel !!! if you could call it that for two nights over the last weekend. On arriving
we were told we had no room booked,we explained that we had spoken to someone on our way to the hotel to book a table in the restaurant and were informed everything was ok. So explained this to the man on reception, eventually he found a room well if you could call it that you could not swing a cat., but after the journey we had up 5 hours on motor way we were glad to have this room.
We went to the restaurant meal was lovely, but staff were very young and whilst waiting for our meal in the garden we could see no tables had been cleared and the waitress were just standing around talking, we final had our meal which was quite expensive, had a drink and then retired for the night. The bed not a double was 3/4 but we were so tired we fell asleep, to be woken at 5am with staff moving around. We had the continental breakfast if you could call it that three jars filled with cornflakes, two yogurts, and slices of bread for toast, we had to ask for tea/coffee.

We went out for the day and arrived back at 11.45 pm, on arriving at our room we found that the bed had not been made up, towels not changed and the room not serviced. We mad the bed ourselves and used the towels again, On the morning we checked out again having had the continental breakfast !! same again and we seemed to be the only people in the hotel part,
I informed the Manager about the room problem, he asked did we put the sign out which said make up room, I informed him I did not see this sign it was not on the door, he said if you need your room made up you must put this sign up. We paid the bill and left, never to return again,

I suggest if you wish to make your own bed and service your own room stay there otherwise avoid. They have not idea what they are doing could do with some good management.

Room Tip: Have a room upstairs you may not be disturbed by the bins being pushed about.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Carol S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copthorne
BLOC Hotel Gatwick Airport
Windfalls Boutique Hotel
Linchens
Linchens
#2 of 3 in Copthorne

Been to The Curious Pig in the Parlour? Share your experiences!