“Nice food in a really pretty pub but not good for large groups”
Review of The Old House Inn

The Old House Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Copthorne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Offering country pub dining in a secluded setting, The Old House Inn serves classic British cuisine in a beautiful decor. Championing the finest local, natural produce, The Old House menu offers pub classics, as well as some creative and seasonal recipes and a bar stocked with fine wines and cask ales. Children are always welcome at The Old House Inn and we even have a kids play area in our garden. The Old House has received a Dinner award and 4 Stars Silver for its accommodation by the AA and is part of 'Pub group of the year 2016' by the Good Pub Guide.
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I came here on a Tuesday evening with a large group of about 20 and we had a section all to ourselves which was very nice. Being a big group we had to pre order which I'm never to keen on but understand for large groups they need to know they have enough of everything. It was a really nice sunny day so somebody in our party called in advance to see if we could arrive at 7 but eat at 7.30 so we could have a drink outside before but they couldn't accommodate this as they had another group in later that night too. The food was really good but the service and value very hit and miss. I had risotto which tasted really good and seemed good value for what it was (£11 for a very filling main course). Some people had ordered "small plates" which are basically starters and some of them very small even for starters and at around £8 didn't seem very good value in comparison. The deserts were also quite pricey but when they gave us the reduced selection of deserts the menu they gave us didn't have the prices so it was only afterwards that I realised the pudding I selected was £8, which again although nice was not amazing enough to make me feel it was worth that and had I seen the price before hand probably wouldn't have ordered one. The gap between the mains and the puddings was too long which I assume was because they were trying to serve the other group at the same time. Would try it again as the food was good but wouldn't go back with a large group.

There are newer reviews for The Old House Inn

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Imaginative modern menu with sensible portions. Good flavours. Nice atmosphere in an old beamed building which is well furnished. Garden seats also available, but indoor seating preferred. Tables far enough apart for privacy of conversation.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I recently used the Old House for our works summer party for 160 people and was blown away with the service and how they managed to serve a BBQ to 160 people without a long queue, instead they staggered the food and offered table service which was a great touch, the theme of the party was Rio Carnival as it was England's second game in the World Cup and we had Brazilian beer on tap cocktails and even erected 3 marquees - dance floor, hired a big screen to watch the football on and had a DJ playing until 1am, nothing was too much trouble and a massive thank you to Tim and the team for making everything so easy from start to finish - everyone had a fantastic time and many of my colleagues, friends and family have returned back to the old house for Sunday/business lunches or for dinner.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I really do have mixed feelings about our visit today, possibly because unfairly, I went with unreasonably high expectations.

We had not been to the restaurant since it’s refurbishment, and it certainly looks good mixing old and new and still managing to retain some of the old character.

The waitress was a delight – attentive but not intrusive.

Our party had a selection of starters and I ordered the Sunday roast beef - it was good, but I really wanted to give a review saying it was amazing – unfortunately, it wasn’t amazing.

Having said that I would still say, give it a try – lovely gardens, lots of seating, and loads of space, Atmosphere lacking in the restaurant (possibly due to it being Men’s Wimbledon Final!) :O)

2  Thank MrsMichy
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Found this place by accident but will return. Good food, good service and friendly and comfortable atmosphere.