“Drove by, took a chance and really enjoyed.”
Review of The Old House Inn

The Old House Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Copthorne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Offering country pub dining in a secluded setting, The Old House Inn serves classic British cuisine in a beautiful decor. Championing the finest local, natural produce, The Old House menu offers pub classics, as well as some creative and seasonal recipes and a bar stocked with fine wines and cask ales. Children are always welcome at The Old House Inn and we even have a kids play area in our garden. The Old House has received a Dinner award and 4 Stars Silver for its accommodation by the AA and is part of 'Pub group of the year 2016' by the Good Pub Guide.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Had a very enjoyable lunch here with very attentive service. As we have lived in France for many years it was good to find somewhere serving a lunchtime set menu.This is the norm in France but not here we find. My burger was delicious and well presented as was my husbands fish and chips. We both had deserts which again were well presented and tasty. We also both commented on the toilet facilities which someone had made an effort with. Clean and good hand wash and hand cream. The staff are really trying hard here and we will definitely go back. Our only quibble would be the wine prices which did seem rather high.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I dined at the old house restaurant on Friday the 8th of November with my partner, and was shocked by the behaviour of the nearby table of around 20 guest who were there for a birthday. I come here about once or twice a month and on Friday, as every other evening I eat here, the food was of the best quality and the service perfect. The food at the old house is exceptional, with the most fantastic local game available at this time of the year, nowhere else nearby offers fresh meat like this and for a game eater it is truly magic. If not a fan, like my partner, the menu is still extensive. And have yet to fault it.
On the 8th of November we were joined in the restaurant by a table of around 20 people for a birthday. I watched in amazement as the manager and waitress moved tables and chairs around to accommodate them as they had arrived with many more guests than they had booked for. I was shocked to hear one of the party threatening the waiter with a bad review on trip advisor despite the best efforts to seat everyone as it was obviously this guy’s birthday.
I feel it is necessary to speak out against reviews that quite frankly beggar belief.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We went here because of the old reputation. It is now been taken over and it was disgusting we had a sandwich. I have never experienced such a bad sandwich it was SOAKED in oil and left a bad taste in my mouth. The service was unbelievably slow and very very poor. I most certainly will not be going here for a long time. A huge disappointment. :-(

2  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I agree with the other comments left before my visit. My visit was a birthday and although the food was great the service was terrible. It appeared that there was not enough staff on to deal with the bookings they had, we had to wait a long time for our food and when it did arrive it arrived at different stages so not everyone was able to eat at the same time. Waitress kept asking what did you order, although most of the guests had pre ordered. Manager did not seem interested in our compliant and wanted to argue with us rather than deal with the issues. would not recommend for more than 6 people as they cannot cope with it. Very poor management and they had the nerve to add 10% service charge, joke considering the service was poor.

2  Thank C C
Reviewed November 10, 2013

So pleased that we ended up at the Old House (we were unable to get in to the Curious Pig as it was a last minute decision to go out so hadn't reserved) but the Old House turned out so much better.
We hadn't been here for a couple of years but although the layout was slightly different since the refurbishment - the entrance now at the back through a bar area - this seemed to make it more welcoming than before.
Lovely menu choices including all our favourites: pigeon, scallops, duck, good fish dishes and a cosy intimate atmosphere with low ceilings, genuine old beams and several cosy areas where tables were nicely spaced out.
Service was a little on the slow side but there was a party in the room beyond the area where we sat. The food was all excellent - delicious starters of devilled kidneys, scallops and pigeon with polenta followed by beef cheeks, duck, steak and halibut. Only the men had puddings - a very good crumble with autumn fruits (plum, blackberry, apple) and a selection of ice cream. The wine list was adequate and we had a very enjoyable bottle of Picpoul (well, 2 actually).
We would definitely go back here with family but also a good venue for a more intimate dinner.
(Nice soap and hand lotion too!)