“Don't use if you flying in/out of Garrick”

Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Copthorne
Reviewed June 2, 2013

For an airport hotel i find the 45 minutes it took to get from the airport sacrilegious and i had to pay £8 for this honor. what makes it worse that this is actually the airport shuttle service from the hotel. timetable wrong at the airport so we waited 1 hour for the shuttle so in total it took 1 hour 45 minutes to get to the hotel. the staff did not seem to care or understand our frustration. we are flying from Gatwick again in July and will be staying at the premier inn as it is right on the doorstep and you get much more for your money.

2  Thank David D
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am very sorry you had such a frustrating experience coming back to the hotel from the airport. At the hotel we try to advise all guests to take a timetable for the shuttle bus with them. The timetable at the airport is administered by Gatwick Airport and we are still waiting for them to update our timetable, this is after numerous requests. We advise guests to call Road Runners, our taxi firm when they get back to the airport as they only charge £9.50 and you can be back at the hotel in 10 minutes. I am very sorry about the terrible delay you experienced.
I do hope you may consider returning to us in the future.
Kind regards
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We got married in the Copthorne 4 years ago and returned on 1st June 2013 for a birthday treat. The hotel has gone down hill since we last visited, though I know they are refurbishing some rooms.

We stayed in a club room 109 which was supposed to be a good upgrade but the room was extremely shabby. It was clean but the carpets were very worn and stained as was the ceiling which had black grease marks on it. There was no bin in the room, there was in the bathroom though. The shower splashed everywhere when turned on as the holder was not designed well, the bath was tiny and stained and the hand rail was loose. The TV was an old CRT box not flat screen which I would expect for this type of room. There was a fridge which was good.

When I booked the room I knew there would be a complimentary drinks voucher and breakfast included. I had to ask for the voucher at reception and was only given one, so I asked don't I get one for my wife then?! At which point the receptionist said no but in the end gave in after I challenged this. There was also confusion that breakfast wasn't included when it was. Then on checkout we were expected to pay £5 for parking which was advertised but I presumed as a hotel guest this would be waived, it was when I challenged this.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely but the food and drink are extremely expensive and there is very limited choice either at the bar restaurant and the main restaurant.

Overall the staff were not that welcoming or helpful and I didn't feel like this was the fine hotel we had when we got married here just a few years earlier.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent review. We are very sorry you felt disappointed with your stay following your wedding with us 4 years ago, in particular relating to the room you occupied and several other aspects of your stay. We are very sorry you did not find the staff helpful or welcoming, also that you were not automatically provided with two complimentary drink vouchers. We have taken this point up with our Front Office Manager. You were actually allocated one of our Club Double rooms in our separate building across from Reception, ideally you should have been allocated a room in the main building which are bigger. We would like to contact you separately regarding your stay and will therefore e mail you.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 night at the beginning of May. There are some good points about the place: Good location for Gatwick and still quiet, the grounds are very pretty, the reception area very attractive, car parking quite cheap to leave the car whilst going on holiday, the food in the pub was nice and the room was a good size. There are things that could be improved: The room needed updating, the TV was old, the toilet flush didn't work properly and the jacuzzi function on the bath did not work, they also didn't offer to help with our bags. Next time we go to Gatwick we might go back but only after looking around in the area for something else first.

1  Thank kt1979

Thank you very much for your recent review. Please note we are currently refurbishing our rooms in stages, we have completed 60 rooms out of a total of 227 and new TVs are being installed as well to all rooms. Unfortunately, we had to disconnect our jacuzzi baths some little while ago owing to health and safety reasons. I think you would enjoy our new rooms which are known as superior rooms and carry a supplement of £15. Hopefully, you will consider returning in the future. We are also sorry you were not offered help with your luggage on this occasion. We do hope you had a lovely holiday.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Our room was one of their refurbished ones and was lovely, albeit compact.The bed was comfy and there was a window seat and table.There was plenty of wardrobe space and an iron and board were provided.Tea and coffee facilities and the toiletries were good.
The real surprise were the lovely grounds.
The pool had been our reason for booking the Copthorne, but half of it is in use for lessons until 6pm- the staff tried to persuade us to come back later-not a lot of use when you have a 6 am flight!We did use the small open area, but it affected both my husband's and my eyes badly.The steam room was nice.
Two of the restaurant areas were reserved for parties, the a la carte is overpriced and our pub meal was adequate.Our first choice was not available and my shephards pie was served without gravy.
The queue at reception was too long when we arrived.
I would use the Copthorne again because of its location and rooms and the airport parking, but I would investigate other places to eat as it was disappointing.

1  Thank chrissmmp

Thank you very much for your recent review. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying in one of our newly refurbished rooms. We are very sorry some other aspects of your stay were disappointing, particularly not being able to use the pool when you wanted to. We do try to cater for all tastes in our pub and restaurants, I will certainly mention to the chef regarding your shepherd's pie coming without gravy. Hopefully, you had a lovely holiday and that you will consider returning in the future.
Best wishes

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We booked into the Copthorne for one night as part of an airport stay and parking deal. The deal represented good value for money, and so to be fair we weren't really expecting too much from the hotel side of things. We were quite surprised at the decent standard of the hotel and found our room to be large and well appointed. For some reason the room seemed to smell quite strongly of soot, which we didn't get to the bottom of as there was no chimney. Apart from that, a comfortable overnight stay which put us in a good position to prepare for our flight the following day.

We ate from room service on the night of our stay, and the food was good but the choice was limited and the fare was basic and was surprisingly expensive; if I were to stay there again (which I would) then I'd avoid the room service option and order takeaway to be brought in.

The hotel represents a good option to park and overnight for Gatwick (it's about a 5 minute taxi ride from the airport).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bodgejob

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. We were very glad to read you felt the park and fly package was good value, also that your room was comfortable and a good size. We cannot think what the smell of soot might be, only that it may have been some type of cleaning product. We do try to cater for all tastes within our various menus, of course, if you prefer you can bring your own food or order it in. I hope you had a lovely holiday and will consider returning to us in the future.
Best wishes

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The hairdryer, jacuzzi tub, lamps, and furniture haven't been replaced or updated since the 80s. They were yellow with age! The jacuzzi tub didn't work and the handle from the shower was broken off! The staff said they were going through a renovation, but still, I wouldn't be comfortable putting guests through that kind of stuff. The carpet in the bedroom was dirty and the sheets were thin and worn. The hotel and restaurant seemed to be meant for people in their 50s and 60s who think that this sort of establishment was still upscale. But what really got on my nerves was the Swan Pub. The waiters had an attitude-- ignored my husband and me. When they finally deigned to take our order, one of them hesitated at taking Scottish notes. They didn't refill our drinks either. The food was also subpar-- the steak and ale pie tasted as though it was defrosted from a frozen package and the steak was a different cut than the one we ordered. The vegetables were bland as well.

I'm glad that the Copthorne is going through much needed renovation, but please cut the attitude-- it's so off-putting.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jaylaxel

Thank you for your honest and constructive review. We are very sorry you have had cause to bring your various comments and feedback to our attention, particularly relating to our staff. The attitude you describe you experienced in the White Swan is not acceptable. We have made sure our Food and Beverage Manager has seen your comments. Yes, we are undergoing a refurbishment currently so lots of changes are being made. I do hope you will consider returning to us in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is unexpectedly spread around some really attractive gardens in an area where space is at a premium. We used this hotel as a base for a trip by RHS to Chelsea flower show . Rather too far out - We have also used it in the past as a base for Gatwick airport - much better. Really nice hotel with a sociable bar , beautiful gardens and a good shuttle to Gatwick. A refreshing change from sterile hotel blocks around the airport.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are bigger