“Terrible food”

Sherlocks
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Aylesford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sherlocks is a long established charming chef-proprietor restaurant in the village of Aylesford,within the original Victorian village post office and shop. Sherlocks is open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. Sherlocks offers an informal and unfussy dining experience.There is ample free car parking in the nearby village car parks.
“Terrible food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Found this establishment by chance and wish we had not. The so called food we were served was appalling. The starter was passable but both of our main courses were terrible. My steak was served and it looked anaemic and my partners dish was tasteless. I mentioned this to the owner and he gave me an odd look and took it back to the kitchen. On his return the steak looked exactly the same and still did not taste of anything. We asked for the bill and paid for the drinks and starter but refused to pay for the mains.
I can't see how people are rating it so highly.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Diner133
IreneadlerAylesford, Owner at Sherlocks, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Joan,the chef/proprietor writes: We have queried this review with Tripadvisor given that it relates to a visit supposedly made nearly one year ago, listed as July 2012, and we are unable to recall or verify the circumstances. As many people know, this is a small family run restaurant where standards of food and care are high, evidenced by the many positive reviews, and it would be unusual for myself or my waiter to forget such a situation as that described in this review. Clearly, a more speedy review, without an eleven month gap, would have helped us verify the facts of the situation described and to check that we dealt properly with any complaints at the time.

kent england
“Lived up to expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I have often walked past this restaurant and peered inside at the fascinating interior promising ourselves that we would go one day. Well we went on our anniversary and it was one of those rare special evenings in a restaurant that we will never forget.
All the good comments already written are absolutely on the mark - fresh tasty beautifully cooked food, cosy interior, excellent service and lovely people. It was like going back in time to the brilliant little restaurants and bistros we used to have before the chains and pubs started to dominate. It was a real blast from the past in the best way possible - atmosphere and quality,quality,quality.
For starters we both had avocado and prawn salad - beautiful light and refreshing.
I had the salmon which was beautifully cooked and topped with red chillies and the most interesting and exquisite vegetables - creamed spinach, baby onions and deep fried courgettes to name but a few. My husband had a massive pork chop that seemed to go forever and again cooked to perfection with a cream , mustard and mushroom sauce.
The Pavlova was the best I've eaten in a restaurant - like a giant cream meringue with the gooiest and chewiest middle ever along with blueberries and strawberries.
The house wine was excellent - enjoyed by both of us even though my husband only ever really drinks ale.
Above all it was attention to detail that is hard to find these days. Bread served - wholemeal and slices of baguette with butter. Bottles of fresh water. Finger bowls for when eating the prawns. The waiter was friendly and jolly without being intrusive and the whole feel of the evening was chilled and relaxed.
We are privileged to still have a restaurant like this and I am so glad that we decided to go even though it's a bit of a drive out from where we live. It only opens Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings which obviously results in fresh meals cooked with care and attention and not the rushed and conveyor belt feel that you get in many pubs and restaurants these days. The table is yours for the evening - bliss! This restaurant is good old fashioned class.

England
“Quirky and lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Loved the experience , quirky decor with interesting artefacts but unlike some similar style places it was very fresh with not a spec of dust . I had the chilli garlic prawns followed by the salmon both scrummy, my husband mixed fish starter and then lamb he enjoyed both. Owners and the waiter were very friendly and welcoming and we had a lovely chat with them which added to the great homeliness of the place, we will place this our regular restaurant list

Aylesford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing value for money and a lovely warm atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

As a Fathers Day treat we took my Dad for a meal at Sherlocks.

They had an interesting menu and there was plenty of choice for everyone.

I have to say that you get a lot for your money and there were some interesting twists with the vegetables which gave some lovely texture to the meals.

The food was of great quality and all freshly prepared.

The atmosphere was welcoming and we felt very comfortable and at ease.

The chef comes out to make sure everything is ok and the waiter is attentive making sure you have everything you need.

The restaurant itself is steeped in history and still has fixtures dating back to circa 1880 from when it was originally a Post Office and General Store.

We couldnt fault the food or the service and will definitely be going back again.

1 Thank Claire1a
London
“Outstanding Food, Relaxing "Homely Environment"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Thinking of where take my visiting retired father, who is a butcher of 45 years, and partner, who is a always eating at top rated restaurants around the world, for a top quality restaurant meal in would make even the hardest restaurant critic shudder with fear - but thank goodness for Sherlocks!! Having had another EXCELLENT, tasty and well presented meal there, I certainly would recommend this restaurant to those diners that are seeking an evening out that I will liken to a meal with a long and most trusted best friend who you might have lost contact with but just met again! To this point, my father, whenever he visits will expect a meal here and will only now consider coming to visit, if Sherlocks is on the menu. If you want a meal that you can kick back and entertain, or just want a unrushed, tasty and like eating in your best friends lounge, this is the place. Simply a hidden jewel in the Kent restaurant scene and the best locally.