Monty's Beach Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Jiquilillo
See available hotels
View Hotel
Marina Puesta del Sol(Aposentillo)
  • Beachfront
Hotel Los Portales(Chinandega)
  • Pool
Hotel El Convento(Leon)
View Hotel
All reviewslocal communitydeep sea fishingturtle hatcheryfeel like familyincredible experiencefamily tripthe food is greathome away from homelife changingbeach frontperfect settingsound of the waveslocal childrenoff the beaten pathyoga retreatsoup kitchenbuilding houses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My husband and I brought a group of 22 travellers to Monty's for our first ever yoga/volunteer retreat. We were very pleased with our stay here! We found the rooms to be basic but comfortable. The yoga deck overlooking the ocean comfortably held all 22 of us with the ocean in the background and the beach below us. The sunrises/sunsets are unlike anything I have ever seen!

The food was delicious and served family style. They were VERY conscious of some serious allergies we had in the group and no one had any issues. They were able to cater to vegan/vegetarians and we were never hungry.

The community work you can do here is endless......if there is something you would like to do, they will make it happen. We weeded the community garden in preparation for planting, taught yoga and art at the local school and went to the community in Chinandega to serve a lunch. Gerry also facilitated an amazing day trip to Esteli for us as well as two trips out on the Mangrove and a smaller group trip to Leon. He went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and able to do everything we wanted to. The staff even decorated for Halloween and we had a wicked Halloween party!!

The staff were all friendly and treated us like family. I cannot say enough good things about the people who work here and take care of you. I miss them all so much and hope to see them again someday soon.

We will definitely be returning. Jiquilillo is a true paradise and you won't see a ton of tourists running around here. It is rustic and beautiful yet comfortable and welcoming.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place made it feel like I never left the United States. The staff was basically family. They cooked and cleaned for you. They had a night guard and amazing dogs that would look out for you. There wasn't one point where anyone wasn't safe. The food was outstanding. I was beyond impressed by the food. When staying at Monty's, we met the head guy, Gerry. He was amazing as well. He wanted us to have fun while there and that's what we did. They had music playing at the bar and it was a really relaxed and fun environment. Would I go back? Without a doubt. The family that I made over there will be a family that I can't see and talk to when I want but is a family that I am happy to have made. After being there for a week, which seemed like a month or two, saying goodbye was really hard because the staff there was just like family.
Another amazing part was that you could walk about 40-50 feet and you would be at the beach. So walking up every morning and hearing the ocean and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean was amazing. Gerry tried to teach me how to surf. He was successful in teaching one of my friends but I guess I'm not meant to be a surfer.
The reason that I was there was because I was part of a organization that was helping to build a school. Staff from Monty's would come out and assist in helping to build this school. That was awesome. Monty's Beach Lodge is doing a lot to help the community. They have the right idea and are taking actions to move their community forward. I advice each and everyone of you to go and take a look at what they are helping to accomplish in the community.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank monkeyman11205
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The idea of going from America to a 3rd world country can be kind of intimidating.
This hotel absolutely exceded my standards. The staff was so welcoming and the enviornment felt very laid back but there was never a second I didnt feel safe. Jerry, the main man, was so warm hearted and did so much for us.
By the end the staff felt like family. I WILL definitely return. No question about it.

Room Tip: I stayed in 'Cameron' and it was wonderful. Three beds and private bath.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I just returned from our 4th or 5th trip back to Nicaragua and back to Monty's Beach Lodge! We feel like family there now (although they really did make us feel that way on our very first visit!). It is so exciting to see all the amazing work the owners and staff have done to improve the lodge... every time we go there we see all sorts of great new things. It just keeps getting better and better!

People need to realize when they are travelling to remote areas in less developed countries, life will be different. That being said everyone at Monty's has always bent over backwards to be helpful, accommodating and make your stay a good one.

I had to write another review after reading the nasty and slanderous posting by MNZ88 from Kamloops. This woman makes such terrible and defamatory statements after only spending 17 days in Jiquilillo. I'm sorry but no one should be putting any weight in such a nasty review after reading all the great ones posted over and over. Take it from someone who has been going back time and time again, this woman knows nothing about the work, intentions or character of the owners and staff at Monty's!

This trip involved my wife and I spending our 18 year wedding anniversary at Montys and to celebrate we climbed a volcano and then were surprised by the staff who made a special romantic dining table for us up on the yoga deck with flowers and balloons etc! This is actually the second time we have been at Monty's on our wedding anniversary. It is a special place.

Thanks to everyone at Montys. You are doing fantastic work. There are many of us from all around the world who think so and will continue to support your efforts!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jangajungle
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I spent three weeks at Monty's in July of this year and the time flew by. Lots of volunteering going on with great groups from the GIVE organization to let you know there are amazing young people who are doing great things! The atmosphere is very relaxed so that everyone interacts with everyone else allowing me to meet families as well as small groups of travelers. Watching the surfing as the sun goes down (not much a surfer myself) and seeing the local people cooling off with their families in the water made me really feel a part of the community. The food was AMAZING! When it's homemade fish sticks - prepare yourself to have seconds and maybe thirds!
Hopefully, the Women's Cooperative from Padre Ramos will be cooking bread in their solar ovens while you're there because at $1 a piece, it's a delicious way to support development work. It's my fourth time at Monty's and I can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family