“Monty's was my home away from home...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jiquilillo
Monty's Beach Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Jiquilillo B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The idea of going from America to a 3rd world country can be kind of intimidating.
This hotel absolutely exceded my standards. The staff was so welcoming and the enviornment felt very laid back but there was never a second I didnt feel safe. Jerry, the main man, was so warm hearted and did so much for us.
By the end the staff felt like family. I WILL definitely return. No question about it.

Room Tip: I stayed in 'Cameron' and it was wonderful. Three beds and private bath.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I just returned from our 4th or 5th trip back to Nicaragua and back to Monty's Beach Lodge! We feel like family there now (although they really did make us feel that way on our very first visit!). It is so exciting to see all the amazing work the owners and staff have done to improve the lodge... every time we go there we see all sorts of great new things. It just keeps getting better and better!

People need to realize when they are travelling to remote areas in less developed countries, life will be different. That being said everyone at Monty's has always bent over backwards to be helpful, accommodating and make your stay a good one.

I had to write another review after reading the nasty and slanderous posting by MNZ88 from Kamloops. This woman makes such terrible and defamatory statements after only spending 17 days in Jiquilillo. I'm sorry but no one should be putting any weight in such a nasty review after reading all the great ones posted over and over. Take it from someone who has been going back time and time again, this woman knows nothing about the work, intentions or character of the owners and staff at Monty's!

This trip involved my wife and I spending our 18 year wedding anniversary at Montys and to celebrate we climbed a volcano and then were surprised by the staff who made a special romantic dining table for us up on the yoga deck with flowers and balloons etc! This is actually the second time we have been at Monty's on our wedding anniversary. It is a special place.

Thanks to everyone at Montys. You are doing fantastic work. There are many of us from all around the world who think so and will continue to support your efforts!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jangajungle
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I spent three weeks at Monty's in July of this year and the time flew by. Lots of volunteering going on with great groups from the GIVE organization to let you know there are amazing young people who are doing great things! The atmosphere is very relaxed so that everyone interacts with everyone else allowing me to meet families as well as small groups of travelers. Watching the surfing as the sun goes down (not much a surfer myself) and seeing the local people cooling off with their families in the water made me really feel a part of the community. The food was AMAZING! When it's homemade fish sticks - prepare yourself to have seconds and maybe thirds!
Hopefully, the Women's Cooperative from Padre Ramos will be cooking bread in their solar ovens while you're there because at $1 a piece, it's a delicious way to support development work. It's my fourth time at Monty's and I can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel is in a great location! They offer a great environment for fun and have lots of volunteering opportunities also! The food is great and the rooms are beautiful! The staff is extremely friendly and are always willing to help with any problems! This is a place I would definitely come back to!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place is amazing. I traveled from Seattle, Washington, USA all the way to Jiquilillo for a Volunteer trip with the organization GIVE. the Staff was amazing, and always made sure our rooms were clean and everything was prepared. The food was amazing and always was fresh. I would reccomend this Montys Beach Lodge to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tina W
Reviewed July 29, 2013

It is not often that you visit an establishment in the developing world that is truly in tune with the concepts associated with Sustainable Tourism. I have been working in the volunteer travel industry for nearly 5 years now and have traveled to over 45 countries and have conducted projects in over 8 different countries along the way, it is my life. The reason I mention this is because I can relate to the trials and tribulations that are prevalent in providing any type of foreign aid. Inspiring and supporting "Development" is one of the greatest challenges imaginable, on all fronts, culturally, economically, and emotionally.

Monty's Surf Camp and the people who perpetuate the good works that they conduct have been consistent in generating worthwhile projects that will have, and are having, a profoundly positive effect on the community of Jiquilillo. I have spent a lot of time in this region (I spend a minimum of 4 months of every year there) I have gotten to know the people and have learned of the positive effects from Monty's Surf Camp first hand.

It is very easy to scrutinize and organization or establishment on their particular model of Sustainable Tourism and development. But the fact of the matter is THEY ARE THE PEOPLE DEDICATING THEIR TIME EFFORT AND ENERGY TO SUPPORTING A BETTER LIFE FOR THE PEOPLE IN JIQUILILLO. When travelers who visit Monty's return home, Monty's Surf Camp stays and continues to fight the battle of poverty and plight, while providing those who stay with them a profoundly impactful experience that can be taken home with them to utilize this exposure and experience to further benefit the world.

I love this place and what it stands for.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jake A
Reviewed July 27, 2013

After visiting Monty´s surf camp in December 2012, I fell in love with the community, with the family the hotel staff creates and with Nicaragua people and knew I had to return. And I founf my way back as a volunteer for June and July 2013.
THE ENVIRONMENT: The powerful presence of nature. Staying in the beach lodge, in a fishing community, one necessarily connects to the nature. The fishermen and their families are dependent on the ocean, but even as a visitor, one adapts to the rhythm of the nature. Day starts early and depending on the tight I can go for a peaceful run, sometimes being stopped by local people offering me a fresh coconut to drink. I can not refuse that. If the tight is high, I can start the day with a sunrise yoga session led by a wonderful instructor and energetic camp coordinator, Tami. Or just enjoy the sunrise in a swing with first cup of coffee watching the golden tops of the waves, surfers and the fishermen coming back from the night spend on the sea. In late afternoon and on Sunday mornings, I joint he local boys for a passionate soccer game or také the kids swimming into the waves. In this part of the year, almost every evening around diner time, there are storms that remind us of the power of the nature. After a short but strong shower, one can watch beautiful show of lightning over the ocean while enjoying an evening cocktail or diner.

THE HOTEL: Employees – hardworking, respectful and caring. The employees at Monty´s are wonderful loving people who work since 5a.m. till late evening hours, trying to make every single guest happy. In the morning, they serve us fresh tropical fruit, freshly made juices and coffee, and coconut bread straight from the oven of a local baker. They make corn tortillas afterwards to serve with grilled mea tor seafood. Every meal includes fresh salad and traditional gallo pinto and homemade salsa. The cooks make sure nobody gets forgotten and you only need to as konce if you have special requierement and they will do everything possible to accomodate to your meal and time preference. THey are very modest and respectful people, but they appreciate when guests want to learn from them and include you happily to their family. I am lucky to be able to speak their language and that way really getting to know their culture and learn how loving and protective they are. One word is enough and the employees help with anything they can, before the disco, women would give me advices and I would have three bodyguards and the rest of them watching after me, making sure I am safe and comfortable. Accomodation – clean, authentic cabañas, with fans and moskito nets.

THE PEOPLE and PROJECTS: Jiquilillo people are happy and simple, although there is not much money, there is a lot of energy and love. The visitors and volunteers I met in the camp and surrounding ranchos / hotels, are travelers with amazing personalities and experiences from all over the world, and I learn from them every day, the friendships one builds here are special ones, boring and closed minded people don´t come to places like this. I am very impressed with the work the leaders and volunteer of the GIVE group have done throughout the last two years in the community and the energy they and other volunteers bring makes this place what it is. News in Jiquilillo spread in a reliable oral way, and any time something is going on, everyone is present, local people love seeing things happening around them and helping the GIVE group with their construction. In the mornings I worked with the women from a Women´s Cooperative in a nearby community Padre Ramos, weading the garden with them I had an opportunity to learn about their culture and life, and also reflect about this community. Later when the sun starts burning, I watch them preparing pastry that bakes in solar ovens and soap from natural oils. They sell these goods with big success in the hotels in Jiquilillo and learn how to become independent and economically contribute to their families. In the afternoons I head to the Los Zorros school to teach Englosh to the children and play with them. They join me on the way, when they see me walk on the road. They are very easy going and welcome any volunteer who wats to come help me, and they are always welcome. The children and very wild, eager to learn and excited to play, they are very athletic and love Tami´s yoga at the end of the class. After two hours of children hanging on me and screaming my name, I should be exhausted, but the kids chare me for the rest of the day.
Besides rest in beautiful environment and opportunity to connect with community through the volunteer projects, trips can be organized for the visitors of the camp: to the near volcano Consiguina, to León including a hike and volcano boarding of Cerro Negro or deep sea fishing.
I am leaving another piece of my heart in Jiquilillo and I know I will find my way back again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 331Martina331
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jiquilillo
Redwood Beach Resort
#3 of 9 in Chinandega
El Coco Loco Resort
El Coco Loco Resort
#1 of 4 in El Viejo

Been to Monty's Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!