“Amazing White Water Rafting Get Away”
Review of Wilderness Tours

Wilderness Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Wilderness Tours is a 600-acre adventure resort situated on the shores of the Ottawa River. Just an hour west of Ottawa and the National Capital Region, Wilderness Tours is Canada's premier adventure resort. With accomodations and activities for every budget, Wilderness Tours is everyone's ultimate playground. Bungee jump, whitewater raft, rockclimb, kayak, stand-up paddle board, mountain bike, or simply relax on one of our two beautiful beaches. Featuring the best nightlife in the Ottawa Valley, Rafters Restaurant and Bar is the place to be every night of the week. Don't miss our outdoor movie theatre, communal campfires, beach volleyball tournaments, and weekend DJ parties.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing White Water Rafting Get Away”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I reccomend this trip to anyone who wants to give their kids something special. My husband and I took our kids 7 and 9 on the Rafting and Rod trip, and the Gentle Raft trip. There is a good chance we'll go back again next year. The staff was amazing, the place was really clean, everyone worked hard, the food was amazing, we brought our trailer and camped there Site #4 is the best one. I have no complaints other than the trip went by too fast. Next time we'll stay one night after the raft trip is over. If anyone wants to ask any question I'd be happy to help out.

Kitchener, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of the Best Weekends!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just got back from an awesome trip to Wilderness Tours!! (August 9-11)

We were a group of 7, aged 19-24. We like to challenge ourselves, be active, dance and consume quite a few beverages. I heard about WT about 18 years ago when I was 6 years old on a family vacation, i always wanted to come back when I was old enough to do it myself with a few friends.

We chose the Weekender - High Adventure - Raft Sunday Option
4 of us opted to camp while the other 3 opted for the basic cabin

Check In: was very quick, and seemed too easy .. reception directed us to the posted boards for activities available and meal times and offered any extra assistance if we needed it.

Accommodations: We were put in North - which i'm assuming was the quiet zone as hardly anyone was camping there, you pick your own spot - no complaints, just a place to sleep. The Cabins were fine too ( after the first night we decided to pack up our tents and the 7 of us slept comfortably in the cabin )

Food: Everyone raved about how good all of the food was. Lots of food, no one went hungry - we brought some snack food with us though

Saturday : Was our free day, we decided to use the kayaks and paddle boards twice and spent most of the day our on the lake. Also got to use the hot tubs.

Nightlife : Lots of bachelor parties, so the ladies were quite thrilled with the eye candy. We played beach volleyball with new friends, danced on an empty dance floor/stage, this weekend was "dirty docs and naughty nurses" a bit disappointed not many dressed up, but the few that did went all out for it which was fun. We didn't want to go to bed, but we had to be a bit responsible and called it a night saturday at 2a.m. as we had to raft Sunday morning at 8a.m.

Sunday - Raft Day : The morning was horrible for us (our own fault) alarm set for 6:45a.m. as we had to fully pack our cars and check out of the cabin before we left for our trip, have breakfast and head to the amphitheatre for 8a.m. briefing. KatieQ greeted us and let us know exactly what we would need to bring and gave us 30 minutes to get fully prepared... and before we knew it off we went in the school bus to get our gear...

Our raft group was about 20 people (which we were told was very small compared to Saturday when they had about 120.) this would give us a lot more time spent at the rapids which was awesome!!

KatieQ was amazing, and we all agreed when we come back we will be requesting to raft with her again. You could tell she is very passionate about the Ottawa - she told us stories about the Ottawa history, insight into WT history and very clearly explained each rapid before heading into it. What hydraulics were, Eddies, high water/low water, which side of the river to head to if we fell out and why... we all felt very informed of everything we were about to run into.

The first rapid, we got to try to surf the wave - and we did it successfully 3 times (Katie said this hardly ever happens!) And we were told the third time we could jump out when she said to and most of us did and we floated, relaxed down the river. She showed everyone how to successfully pull yourself into the boat on our own.

The whole day was very chilled, lots of laughing, lots of adrenaline. We will most definitely be planning a trip back to WT again. We were back at camp by 2pm, where we got to check out the video footage and photos. And on our way home we went...

2 Thank kaylaslovely
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excitement for all”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just came back from our trip to WT and overall we had a great time. I have been coming back every summer with my kids for the past 7 yrs so that in itself says something. This year I noticed there were less boats to be used on the resort. ie: paddle boats. I would also like to see WT bring back the boat cruise in the evening. After reading one of the reviews I would have to agree that they should take into consideration the fitness level of the patrons. This was our first High Adventure Trip and my friend fell out and banged her knee on the rocks on the first rapid. Fortunately she was ok but pretty shaken up. I don't think she was adequately prepared. I think first time rafters should be told to sit in the middle for safety. The good news is we are already thinking about returning next year :-)

1 Thank Sharon V
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice experience one should try at least once...”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was brought to this place by a friend who wanted me to get some relaxation and fun. I was very sceptical as I don't know how to swim. Signing off the waiver was also making me nervous. We went there on August 4th for the gentle family rafting. We were told to gather at the amphitheatre near the restaurant where they gave us some briefing and advice. We were advised the day is kind of windy and we would need the wetsuit to stay warm. It was a nice thing that they offer it complementary to those 12 and under. To save some bucks, we rented the wetsuit tops for $12 each. Since we have a group of five,( my friend, her husband and their two teens plus me); we were assigned as one group. I told the team lead (Tim) and our team guide (Emily) that I don’t know how to swim. They looked surprised but did not comment. Then off we go on our rafting adventure. The team guide taught us some technique at the start of the rafting and not too long, we were heading to the first white waters. With the more severe and challenging ones, we had two team guides with us guiding us through. I felt more at ease when I see they treated the safety measure so seriously. Then, we headed for lunch and it was really good especially when you had been rolling for two plus hours. There was plenty of food and we love the mix of the coffee and hot chocolate. After lunch, we had some peaceful time rolling along the river and also some fun (for those who know how to swim) to adventure the natural water slide. It was a fun day and most important of all, a safe trip!!! I have to thank my friend Melanie who took me there and also a big thanks to Emily who guided us all along!

Ottawa, Canada
“Surprise! So Much More Than Just Rafting”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I recently headed to Wilderness Tours for a team building day with my colleagues. Unfortunately for me, I had a ridiculous eye sensitivity issue, which prevented me from jumping on the raft for the day, so I stayed back at the lodge all day long. While WT is most known for their activities on water, I was happily surprised to discover that they have SO MUCH MORE - a beautiful lodge, tons of mini cabins to camp out in, cycling paths galore, a bungee jumping tower, a new activity field for horses, wonderful walking trails, etc., etc., etc. This was my first time out to WT, and it was so much larger and offered so much more than I was aware of. Being at WT makes you feel like you're at summer camp, with freedom on your side. Thanks to our Guide, Corey Hewitt, for showing our team such a fantastic time - we were all blown away (including me, despite my bum eye!).

Visited July 2013