“Great Atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longtown
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I based myself at the Graham Arms for a week recently so that I could travel around the border area visitng family, a better decision could not have been made! The atmosphere created by the staff (for whom nothing was too much trouble) was fantastic. The big suprise however was the food. I was lucky enough to have time to eat there most evenings and i must say the standard and size of portion was far beyond what you would expect for the price. My favorite has to be the Steak And Ale Pie which i went back for a few times so unfortunately didnt get the chance to sample the full menu :( i guess i'll just have to book in for 2 weeks next time rather than 1!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NixonRichard2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Faringdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A lovely, friendly, comfy hotel. The staff were great; attentive and welcoming. The room was a good size (on a corner so lots of windows and views up and down the main road) and comfortable. The food was good value and plenty of choice. And yes, as a bolthole to pop over to Gretna ;-) it was the perfect stay-over. I recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AGSwallow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed for three nights and felt really comfortable here. My room was basic and clean, the sink was cracked but I could live with that. My friends room was larger and also clean. We both commented on the wonderful shower, one of the best I have ever had in a hotel. The staff are all local and helpful and friendly.
This is a reasonably priced hotel with good food and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank pava186525
hotelownerLongtown, Owner at Graham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you for your review, the cracked sink has been replaced, I will pass on your comments to our staff
Yours
Paul
Leicester UK
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed for one night on probably the hottest day of the year!
The hotel itself is an old building but well looked after and spotlessly clean,the staff are all very pleasant and professional, the food was good at both dinner and breakfast but wow did I have a problem with my room!
It was on the second floor and had three windows and what can only be described as a turret roof above, the sun had obviously been on the room for most of the day and when I entered it was like walking into a fan assisted oven (obviously I am not blaming the hotel for the weather!).
There was little breeze but that would have made no difference as I could only open one of the three windows anyway and that had to be wedged open with a bit of cardboard.
The bed was very comfortable so I chose to ignore the flock wallpaper that reminded me of my favourite curry house and the temperature that was hotter than any curry served there.
Bad mistake! The room stayed warm and the traffic from the main road outside did not abate until around 23.30 and started again around 04:15 after which time I did not get any sleep due to the wedged open window and the fact that most passing traffic was HGV's so loud it sounded like they were in the room with me!
This review may sound a little harsh as I'm sure if my room had been at the rear of the hotel away from the road and in a cooler room or if the good old British weather had been "normal" for the second week of July then my experience would have been different but I can only review as I find.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank china_blue
hotelownerLongtown, Owner at Graham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I do agree with you when you say you may be a little harsh in your review, I have inspected the room in question and found all the windows do open, although to be fair two are a little stiff, this has been rectified.
As to the heat, if you had mentioned it to a member of staff you would have been provided with a fan or been offered a room at the rear of the hotel.
Yours
Paul
uk
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a friendly two star hotel in a very small town. Staff welcoming and make an effort put the clients at ease. Bar patronised by nice local community people. Large restaurant with reasonable food choice at a reasonable price in pleasant setting. Parking in single line courtyard but local parking is safe and available. Very close to river with delightful walks. Rooms are adequate with reasonable storage space, comfortable bed and have refurbished modern en-suit facilities TV and tea-making facilities. The window sash was broken in my room and appeared to have been for sometime so it was not possible to create some air circulation on a warm night.There was also what seemed to be a water cistern which when filling up caused loud reverberation when water was drawn by other guests. This was rather distracting. WiFi available.
Served wine in a rather heavily lip-sticked glass at dinner which was a pity - but hardly calamitous.
It should be noted that there is little to do in Longtown in the evening -although some Take-Aways and a Mini-Mart remain open.
All in all this hotel provided a decent service for the standard claimed and the cost. Didn't try breakfast as had to leave an hour before start time (which is 0730) but the menu looked favourable.. Given all circumstances obtaining the Graham Arms serves the purpose and can be recommended.

One thing - hardly the hotel's fault - guests in a nearby room left a dog unattended and it barked constantly. Eventually Reception -once alerted - took action. I therefore conclude that pets are allowed......pity about such pet-owning guests.

Room Tip: Back rooms look onto small(smoker's) courtyard and parking.
Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gadflyUk
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I needed a place to stay while on business, it was getting late and I came across this place via the 'near me now button' on trip advisor.
Reports lately seemed positive so in I went.
I was met by a very friendly chap who booked me in and explained the usual hotel bits.
My single room was dated - think 1970 george and Mildred,with a cracked shower basin and mould on the ceiling, but it was clean!
I popped into the bar and was met by friendly staff and on a first name basis in minutes. After a nice chat I decided to eat in the dining room intead of the bar all be it nice was full of elderly locals enjoying themselves.
The menu was varied with a specials menu too. My starter I feel had a Scottish influence 'battered haggis and black pudding' accompanied by a hot butter sauce! (my poor heart).
My main of home made pie was lovely and all portions were plentiful.
So in summary this hotel should only get an average rating, but for some strange reason, be it the friendliness or overall delightful atmosphere it rates higher!
I really enjoyed the stay and would highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Padman22
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just returned for 3 nights at the Graham Arms Hotel - stayed there whilst attending at surprise wedding at Gretna (only 15mins away).

Room - was wonderful, room 19 - 3rd floor in the 'turret'. Lovely bed with a sofa, dressing table and en-suite shower room which was very clean and bright. Tea/coffee facilities in room. TV with lots of channels. Lovely large windows - all in all a very well decorated large space. Our other couple who were getting married had the other side 3rd floor turret room which had a huge bed and a corner bath - beautifully decorated (sorry forgot the number).

Food - Breakfasts were lovely. Full english (alternatives available too), cereral, juice, coffee/tea, toast - everything you could ask for. Really delicious. We ate two evening meals in the restaurant which were lovely also. Really nice steaks, cooked just how we liked. Reasonable prices too.

Bar area and staff were very friendly and made us feel really welcome. The owner had lots of information for us on the surrounding area - We visited Carlisle for the day and Hadrians Wall.

All in all the hotel had a lovely feel to it, a lovely traditional coaching inn which I would not hesitate to return to if we are in that area again. It's a fantastic location - 15 mins from Gretna and all its wedding locations, 25 mins on the bus to Carlisle and 20 mins from the M6 motorway (although it felt a world away from it). The staff are friendly and welcoming too. Thanks for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The turret rooms are lovely and big
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ukrose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longtown
Crown Wetheral Hotel
Ibis Carlisle
Ibis Carlisle
#5 of 20 in Carlisle
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,346 reviews

Been to Graham Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!