“amazing people and food felt like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Graham Arms Hotel

Graham Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longtown
Oldham, United Kingdom
“amazing people and food felt like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Hi! anyone reading this review is obviously considering staying here all I can say is do not hesitate and book it you will certainly not regret it!.

My hunsband and I married in gretna green with only our parents and our daughter as the idea of gretna and the romantic notion really appealed to us. I looked up this hotel and saw great reviews but was dubious of booking without doing what you are now and all I saw were great reviews.

I looked on the website and decided to ring and enquire this is when I spoke to Stewart for the first time and I was instantly sold on staying there what a lovely guy I thought.
As my wedding drew closer I was getting more and more nervous and was in constant contact with Stewart who was so helpful and understanding and actually kept me calm! (a very impressive quality!)

I turned up on the morning of my wedding after a 3 hr drive nervous as hell and walked in looking probably white as the dress I wore! Stewart greeted us with a warm and friendly welcome and a cracking sense of humour which helped me no end. I walked up the stairs lined with pictures of all married who stayed there on the way to the bridal suite which I think shows the heart and soul of the place (happiness). The next few hours were a blur obviously!.

When me and my new hubby returned we had the most amazing meal I have even eaten the chef (unfortunatley I cannot remember his name but he's lovely too) is one talented guy and it was the first time my dad hasnt moaned when we have had a meal as he is a wanna be chef and was very impressed (chicken with haggis is amazing!)

We sat and drank with all the locals later and I couldnt have felt more welcome I felt like I had known them all for years!. The next night (sat) we listened to an amazing singer (cant remember his name but a regular) and danced the night away with Tony who is the most wonderfully weird person I have ever met and the best dancer I might add! and Stephen and cockney Tony and also Jake who was such a sweet guy...the list is endless!! but the nicest and warmest group of people we have ever had the pleasure of meeting!.

We are definately returning and I just hope that stuart has still saved the spot for our picture on the landing wall as I still havent got around to sending it!.

Book this hotel you wont regret it!

The Shea's

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank VickiShea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Aberdeenshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We were just stopping the one night breaking our journey down to a wedding in England.
We had a lovely warm welcome when we arrived @ 8.30pm, Staff helpful. The room was exactly what we expected, lovely crisp cotton sheets. Clean & comfortable, Breakfast cooked beautifully & cheerful staff to serve it.
We would stay again & longer next time.
My only small niggle was the shower. I get more pressure out of my water butt in the garden. I did let the staff on the desk know & they are aware of this problem. I do hope the put a pump in to boost the pressure, It would be a shame to have this one thing let down a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kimbalina59
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed with a friend on business for one night in March 2011 whilst travelling through. The hotel was really cosy and although slightly dated I cannot complain. The service was good although the hotel appeared quite quiet and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The chef made our trip he was so accomodating and friendly a real treasure and made our stay. Good hearty food too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Fegstar
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

The room was comfortable and clean and all amenities were provided. Our room was located next to a main road although we could not hear any of the traffic outside during the night. The service at the hotel was excellent with the food of a good standard at reasonable rates.

At the time of our stay, our room had recently been painted and was very fresh as hotel renovations were being undertaken, this however did not interfere with our time at the hotel.

The Staff were helpful at all times and were very informative with knowledge of the local and surrounding areas and they were more then happy to offer suggestions on things to do.

Thank you for an extremely pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SNAustralia
hotelownerLongtown, Owner at Graham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments, the staff really appreciate them, it does make them feel valued by you the guests, we the owners think they are wonderfull as well. we need feedback from guests to correct any problems that crop up,a booster pump has now been fitted.
Thank you.
Paul
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

travelled with friends,selected this hotel because of its ease of access to hadrians wall and the 7 stanes mountain bike trails,cannot thank the staff enough for their hospitality and invaluable knowledge.when we informed them we would be setting off early every morning of our three day stay to pack as much in they even made our party a packed lunch,above expectations thank you,our rooms were of a superb standard and the evening meals (home cooked) were fantastic (thanks graham),and the ales top quality! we would highly recommend this hotel to all,we will certainly be back soon as we frequently goto the lakes and you are only 30 mins from there.thanks to vikki and all your staff. best regards tim and the team!!

Room Tip: any room as the whole hotel is top quality
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank timeteam91
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

It was very obvious from the start that there has been a great deal of decorating done, I got the impression from the staff that some of the trip adviser comments had stung and prompted the owner to open his/her wallet. We had a lovely two day stay, as has been said the staff are very helpful and welcoming, the food was very good with generous portions, our room was well decorated with all new furniture, we felt as if we where the first people to stay in it as it was so clean, the locals are very friendly and are full of lively banter.lovely area for touring, lots to do locally, the hotel is not in Carlisle but has a bus stop outside, it is only a ten minute ride into Carlisle. There is a good designer shopping area in Gretna only a few miles away.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peterhasbeen
hotelownerLongtown, Owner at Graham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Than you for your kind review, you are right that as a family owned and run hotel bad reviews do sting, we have spent a great deal of money over the last seven years of ownership, the trouble is it has been spent on the fabric of the building which guests do not see. We have had a really good winter period and this has helped us enormously, all our winter profits and more have been spent on upgrading as much of the hotel as possible, we are getting more and more positive comments on the rooms and food, the staff comments speak for themselves. We are very proud of our staff.
Paul
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

My husband and myself travelled to Longtown to visit family with our daughter and granddaughter. We had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay . We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The food was exceptional in the restaurant . The bar was very comfortable, served good beer and we enjoyed the company of the locals.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Acky2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longtown
Crown Wetheral Hotel
Ibis Carlisle
Ibis Carlisle
#5 of 20 in Carlisle
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,333 reviews

Been to Graham Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!