“Late opening”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2018

Outside the door at the end of lovely walks in the woods. We had checked opening times on line and on the door and were there just before 6pm on a Saturday. Other punters were also there - three families. Lights were on inside and someone moving about but no doors unlocked. We all eventually gave up about ten past. Pity, lovely old pub in lovely setting. Next pub up the road was heaving with customers.

4  Thank lindsay_williams

Reviewed August 5, 2018

Having dined at this lovely old pub so many times over the years, it is hard to see why it has gone downhill so fast.
The decor and furnishings are worn out and lack invitation, the food served has no resemberlance to the published menu.

The garden tables were at a point of falling apart, not safe at all.

Our order was taken at the bar by the only female person seen at this pub, she served at the bar and served all the food and collected empty plates and glasses after, one person doing all these tasks cannot be legal for Health & Safety reasons.

When I asked for an itemised bill for my meals and drinks, I was told that this was not possible, when I asked why, the girl just shrugged her shoulders and said she did not know.

The service for 2 simple meals took 40 minutes which was far too long.

I would have left a glowing review for this pub, but the faults were too numerous.

And yes you we will not be back.

3  Thank Christopher R
Reviewed August 3, 2018

Came for lunch. Food was pretty mediocre, 2 had quiche which was not homemade. Not much attention paid to presentation and although the prices were reasonable it wasn’t when you took quality into the equation. Choice for coeliacs limited to about 2 items. Have been to this pub in the past as I visit family nearby. I can’t recall food being like this before. Sadly, as another reviewer writes I can’t see this lovely pub being sustainable if they keep providing this level of food choice and quality.

1  Thank Easterpromise1999
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Came Saturday afternoon for lunch with my partner- menu was delicious especially for a vegetarian. The staff were attentive & kind. Food was served in a short amount of time with a smile.
Was a lovely afternoon in a beautiful located pub. Normally my mum
& I stop for a drink when we are out riding our horses so made a pleasant change being inside the pub, not outside holding both the horses & having something too eat. Will be back ☺️☺️

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank amyjQ6127EZ
Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

I came here yesterday for my birthday lunch with my parents, daughter and good friend. We were there as it opened and placed our food orders immediately. We were told that there was a big party coming in that lunchtime and we were relieved we had got there first as had to be somewhere for 1.30.
Twenty minutes later, there was no sign of our food and the large party arrived. After 50 minutes, we were getting fed up. I went to enquire where our food was as we had to leave very shortly. The whole large party had been served and most had almost finished their meals...
We were told a few more more minutes.. after another 10 we went to say we really couldn’t wait any longer but they were just bringing them out. I would like to say they were worth the wait but unfortunately I cannot.
My mums lamb shank was obviously the boil in the bag variety, my friends haddock and chips were two two bits of battered haddock (the frozen variety) and a measly handful of chips. Although the burgers were nice the portion sizes were rubbish...which was lucky as we had only 15 minutes to eat our meals.
All meals were approximately £11 each. The atmosphere was very unwelcoming and we wouldn’t have minded so much if we had been told there would be an hours wait for food..at least then we could have made the decision to go elsewhere. As it was service was horrendous and the food was very poor quality at quite a steep price!
I would not recommend this pub to anyone and none of us will be returning!!

Date of visit: June 2018