Bridgend Hotel
Port Askaig Hotel(Port Askaig)
  • Restaurant
Gigha Hotel(Isle of Gigha)(Great Value!)
$90
$140
  • Restaurant
Islay House(Bridgend)
TripAdvisor
Port Charlotte Hotel(Port Charlotte)
TripAdvisor
The Colonsay(Isle of Colonsay)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewskatie's barthe hotel managerwonderful hotelvenisonboth breakfast and dinnerate heremain restaurantcomfortable hotellovely atmospherebar menucentral locationspecial thankscouple of nightshotel for dinnerexcellent foodcomfortable loungeboth nights
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We visited the Bridgend Hotel for dinner on the weekend of my birthday and could not have received a warmer welcome from Lorna and her staff. We were made comfortable in the lounge with a drink while we chose our meal and then taken through to a beautifully decorated dining room with garden views and a pleasant ambience.

The food was outstanding, using local ingredients that gave the dishes a strong sense of place, beautifully presented and delicous tasting. I had a superb scallop and lobster terrine, one of the best starters I can ever remember having, while my wife had a wonderful langoustine salad. My main of monkfish with fondant potato, pancetta and samphire was expertly prepared and full of complementary flavours while my wife's Argyll lamb was tender and perfectly cooked with a mouthwatering balsamic jus that really set the lamb off well. We shared a cheeseboard afterwards which came in generous portions with delicious homemade chutney and melt-in-the-mouth oatcakes - excellent.

Service too was excellent - all of the staff were warm, friendly and attentive - and the meal with wine was very good value considering the quality of ingredients and the care taken in preparation. The birthday card I received from Lorna at the end of the evening, showing a beautiful local twilight scene, was the perfect conclusion to a wonderful evening - thank you all!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
William I, Factor, Islay Estates at Bridgend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Having read your other reviews of places that you visited on Islay, I am really glad that you had such a great time throughout your whole stay – particularly for your birthday dinner at Bridgend. As you have observed, we do use local ingredients wherever possible and the menu reflects this. Thank you for your review and I hope you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Back for our yearly holiday and again we had the best food and service than any other eatery on Islay . The vegetarian option was lovely and unlike other hotels there was a vegetarian option for a starter on the dinner menu and a hot vegetarian meal on the lunch menu rather than just a cheese sandwich. This is the one place that we always will return to for food. Fantastic. Thank you !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
William I, Factor, Islay Estates at Bridgend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments; it was great to see you back on Islay. There are some excellent places to eat on the Island so it is a great compliment to receive such an accolade!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

What a gem this place really is. Irene and Mary I could have taken home :) the food was delisious, serivce superb despite busy setting up for local wedding, looked like that was going to be lovely too. Staff were all so helpful ,made us feel so at home. Garden and rooms were very well looked after and gave impression of hard working team behind the scenes. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013

Sorry, Mary and Irene are NOT on the transfer market! I am really glad you enjoyed your time with us and were able to appreciate 'The Heart of Islay'.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel is well appointed. Our room was a little small (particularly the bed, for two tall adults), but well maintained and the bathroom seems to have been replaced recently. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, which is the overwhelming impression left with us. They got to know our name on the first night, so no need to quote a room number, and gave lots of useful advice on where to go. Even when Scottish Power decided to flicker the electricity off constantly, and then cut it completely, in the middle of serving main courses, they handled the issue efficiently and with good humour. There is a nice garden in the back, again well maintained.
The restaurant has an imaginative menu, well prepared and well presented and the bar a fine selection of Islay malts.
We stayed for 3 nights in July as part of a Highlands/Islands holiday and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
William I, Factor, Islay Estates at Bridgend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

I was having supper in Katie’s Bar the night the power flicked on and off and met you then. The continuous switching was really annoying!! I am sorry for any inconvenience – no sooner than we had the generator working than the lights came on! For the benefit of other people reading this it is a very rare occurrence. Whilst we may have taken it in good humour, all the guests did too which made everything much easier.
At Bridgend Hotel we have 11 bedrooms with beds of varying sizes: I am really sorry that yours was a little on the small side. For anyone reading this review, please mention any specific requirements when booking and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

First and foremost if you want a happy, high quality experience - book this hotel. Attentive, friendly, knowledgeable staff, top quality food and a beautiful, clean comfortable bedroom.

The choice of two eateries is absolutely great; Katie's Bar and the Restaurant. Katie's Bar is bright, welcoming and modern with interesting traditional quirks - and a mix of other hotel guests, tourists staying elsewhere on the island and locals. The menu is reassuringly specialised (i.e. fits on one chalk board) and is packed with fresh, local ingredients. The restaurant is a more formal room and has a still-specialised, wider ranging and even more luxurious menu. Food was served quickly and efficiently - though there was never any sense of it - or us - being rushed. While Katie's Bar is highly unlikely to disappoint, it is absolutely worth treating yourself to a meal in the Restaurant too. Check out the hotel website for example menu/prices and, if eating here more than once in a week (we happily ate between the two eateries every night we stayed) check with staff as to when the bar menu changes if you want different choices, especially if you are a veggie. However, if you love all foods (local meats, fresh fish...) then you'll be spoiled for choice anyway; pick up the phone and get booked in!

The staff are so helpful, every meal is catered to your liking and, being pregnant during my stay, I was full of requests and questions - every single one of which was answered by the staff who, when necessary, checked with the chefs. I really appreciated the lengths that were gone to for me; even managing to get Clootie Dumpling minus the whisky (imagine even requesting that on Islay!) - but still with the honey cream! YUM!

It was also great to chat to staff of all ages, all of whom had a love, pride and passion for their island. While given the space to enjoy our holiday as a couple - we also had a lovely sense of actually being among islanders and their lives.

As mentioned, the bedroom was beautiful, comfortable and very well looked after by the housekeeper throughout our stay. Wee touches such as the delicious local tablet on the coffee tray and the local soap, shampoo and shower gel were so wonderful that we sought out the shop they came from so we could bring home these sensory memories of our stay at Bridgend.

A tasty breakfast is served in the Restaurant, a lovely room - and like the whole hotel; homely and yet luxurious. Some guests even chose to eat breakfast in the beautiful gardens as the sun was shining.

The Strath Lounge is a relaxing area to sit and enjoy an aperitif or, indeed, after dinner dram or coffee. The sun was spilling in the windows during our Summer stay but I can imagine it would be equally enjoyable with the cosy fire going on a Winter's night. We also enjoyed the homebaking that is available in the lounge in the afternoon.

You really want for nothing in this hotel - an absolute gem in the midst of a stunning, vibrant Scottish island. We genuinely did not want to leave! Manager Lorna and her excellent team ought to be very, very proud.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

First and foremost all the staff (particularly Lorna) wish you all the very best of luck over the next few months! Without saying any more in public, you will know what I am referring to.
This is a really kind review, thank you very much. All Lorna and her team aim to do is the best they can to ensure you have as good a time as possible on Islay. Kevin, the head chef (newly engaged to Rasa the assistant manager) produces a menu of freshly cooked locally sourced food. It is lovely to read such enthusiastic comments. We are enjoying a fabulous summer on Islay and I am really pleased you have been part of it.