“Good food, poor service.”
Review of Inn on the Shore

Inn on the Shore
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Downderry
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
UK
“Good food, poor service.”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I live in Cornwall and found myself in Downderry one evening so came here for a bite to eat. It was lovely outside, so we sat there- the pub is in a great position. I went in to order food from the decent menu offering and stood for about a minute whilst the staff finished chatting, before I was approached for my order, I was made to feel a little like I was in the way- no welcome, no hello- just a 'yes, please'. Slightly odd that I had to pay for it up front and was not able to have a tab (I wanted pudding and coffee- but could not be bothered to go and pay for it again, so didn't order any).

The food was nice, steak was done properly and fish and chips were good- all in all decent pub fayre. No complaints apart from the half baked service- and that is where I want to make a point, particularly on reading one of the reviews below about service, where the owner has replied and told a customer to basically stay at home. When I go out for a meal, be it a pub or restaurant- I want to be spoilt and made to feel like I am welcome, it is not a hard thing to do, a little training and service with a smile. If I am paying for food- I want service with it, otherwise I will stay at home, where quite honestly I can cook food to just as good standard. I would have given this place a higher rating if the staff had been attentive as there was nothing wrong with the food.

1 Thank zotar

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great food, lovely view”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had beautifully cooked fresh seafood and we totally enjoyed it. The desserts were great and I was in chocolate brownie heaven! The views are fantastic and added to a lovely meal.

1 Thank RachelJ186
Cornwall
“Too many orders”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked a table for 1830, arriving at around 1800 to have drinks on the balcony. It seemed that the food service was not available till 1830 at which time we sat down at our table in the restaurant area. However, the hoards of people and families who had not booked but were sat outside all ordered their meals at the same time which totally overwhelmed the one guy who was taking orders at the till. No-body came to our booked table to take our order, then the chap at the till announced that he would not accept any more food orders till 1930; the time by now was about 1845. We left.

It seems that they had no system nor had they anticipated the surge (which seems strange as they do the same thing every day). They have absolutely no idea about the hospitality service industry!

4 Thank kp56
DevonDragon, Owner at Inn on the Shore, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Yes we are busy service was not as you described we served 200 customers that evening I hope anyone reading this review will look at your others I honestly don't know why you bother to go out
Everything is so wrong for you . We serve thousands of customers a month who are very happy
We do our best to make sure everyone has a good time but no one has a 100% success rate
But with some customers this would be impossible anyway have you ever been anywhere and enjoyed it if so you should put it on trip advisor instead of using it for your negative outlook thanks for your review though
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“What a waste of time”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

What a fabulous location.
Right on the cliff top.
We arrived late on a Tuesday evening and ordered straight away. Me and my girlfriend shared the Mussels, my father had a burger and his partner had a chicken pate. The food to 20 minutes to arrive so relatively quickly for a busy summers evening. I couldn't believe how many mussels came out, the burger looked good. Unfortunately we had to wait another 10 minutes for my fathers partners meal to arrive, brought to us by a stressed out waitress! She happily brought a complimentary glass of wine to make up for the delay. Me and my girlfriend started our mussels, they were luke warm. We carried on, no finger bowl or shell bowl was brought to us, I was impressed by the size of the mussels and the tasted good all be it cold. Eventually we had to use an empty pint glass to put some shells in I had about 5 Mussels in total, My girlfriend had about 5, the rest of it was all empty shells. A pint glass and a huge bowl full of empty mussel shells!!?? We felt like we had been conned. They must have bulked it out with empty shells because there were so many shells and no mussels!!!!

Reports from Father say his burger was unimpressive also.
Definitely won't be going again.

Such a shame as it used to be lovely!
Possibly the new management??""

3 Thank Dan H
Sundsvall
“No warm water, no Wi-fi and no compensation.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

A perfect location on the waterfront. But disappointing food, non-attentive service and low standard in rooms. Warm water in shower is expected, if not found, then compensate the customers somehow. Not having a hot shower in two days is a problem.

4 Thank danny-sundsvall